D22 Towbar Flip?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyNav09

Reaction score
ok i had this wizz idea while i was under the rig doing a few more after trip checks like tightening bolts and etc etc etc, that i would flip the towbar to give me better departure angle, this also allowing me to custom make a bolt on rear bar system that would protect the back end of the tub.

my question is has anyone anyone flipped there towbar and removed the chrome junk they have on it? Pictures would be nice aswell. Also im not sure how the towing of thing would go, is now my towbar not fit for purpose of towing?

thanks

ok i had this wizz idea while i was under the rig doing a few more after trip checks like tightening bolts and etc etc etc, that i would flip the towbar to give me better departure angle, this also allowing me to custom make a bolt on rear bar system that would protect the back end of the tub.

my question is has anyone anyone flipped there towbar and removed the chrome junk they have on it? Pictures would be nice aswell. Also im not sure how the towing of thing would go, is now my towbar not fit for purpose of towing?

thanks

This would be good to know. If it works best thin to do would just be get a drop goose neck.
But it would change the mounting of the bar too. This would decrease the downfall load carrying ability.

This would be good to know. If it works best thin to do would just be get a drop goose neck.
But it would change the mounting of the bar too. This would decrease the downfall load carrying ability.

i agree. if it was possible and it didnt create any extra stress on mounting points it would put the STR towbar almost perfectly under the tub. it would end up being no more then an inche lower then the bottom of the tub. It still uses the same mounting holes aswell meaning no drilling etc. it owuld just mean the tongue would be on top of the bar not below it.

There is 3 mounting holes in the shape of a triangle? So when flipped I think only 2 of the 3 holes either side will match up?

There is 3 mounting holes in the shape of a triangle? So when flipped I think only 2 of the 3 holes either side will match up?

i think mine are just 3 holes inline with each other. my str towbar bolts from underneath the chassis rail not to the side of the chassis rail as you may be thinking.

Isn't there a right angle piece where it bolts under the chassis ??

i havent had the deepest of looks but mine right angles and sits flush with the bottom of the chassis. there is enough clearance between the inside of it ot fit between the chassis rails. i wil take a deeper look again tomoz.

i was more looking to see if anyone has done it

My Nissan towbar has 2 angled sections of steel inside the chassis to support and strengthen the 3 bolts that you spoke about under the chassis rail.

The holes would have to be duplicated on top of the chassis rail to flip it cause I don't think there are any.

My Nissan towbar has 2 angled sections of steel inside the chassis to support and strengthen the 3 bolts that you spoke about under the chassis rail.

The holes would have to be duplicated on top of the chassis rail to flip it cause I don't think there are any.

I would probably be using the same holes that they came out of. Bolting from under the chassis again.

If you are concerned about legalities and what not, just fit a DX tow bar as they sit higher than the STR due to having no rear bumper/step.

Can anyone with a dx towbar measure the mounting holes spacing for me on each chassis rail mount. Be interesting to see which set of holes it mounts up to

i will if i can find a tape in the shed. i fitted one to mine it 2012 model i think did a thread called towbar differences has a little bit of info but no pics. from memory i had to drill one hole each side in the reinforcing plate that slides inside the chassis rail and one extra hole in each chassis rail underneath, all the side holes lined up without modifacation. that said it is only about 60mm higher than a str on would be measuring off the standard rear bar. assuming the str one sits up tight against the bottom of rear bar. ill go see if i can find a tape in the mess i call a shed :/

i will if i can find a tape in the shed. i fitted one to mine it 2012 model i think did a thread called towbar differences has a little bit of info but no pics. from memory i had to drill one hole each side in the reinforcing plate that slides inside the chassis rail and one extra hole in each chassis rail underneath, all the side holes lined up without modifacation. that said it is only about 60mm higher than a str on would be measuring off the standard rear bar. assuming the str one sits up tight against the bottom of rear bar. ill go see if i can find a tape in the mess i call a shed :/

Thanks mate. Even if you could throw some pics up ill find that thread now

mine is approx 180mm centres i have used the hole closest to the shackle hanger at the back but i think i had to drill the hole closest to the rear of the car, it would fit in the standard holes from memory but mine being newer it has the longer tub which is why i had to move it back and drill extra holes. that said i don't think it would of cleared the spare wheel without doing that but i didnt loosen the spare wheel to see if i could push it further forward to clear. Hope that makes sense and helps a bit. if your chasing pics just send me your mob no. ill mms you some i hate uploading photos on the net

actually cant upload any pics on computer anyway as i have no data cables for phone or camera there lost somewhere in my messy shed :D like i said i can mms if you wont

Latest posts

Back