D22 turbo upgrade mission complete!!!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czeslaw

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I thought all you navara nuts would be interested in my latest upgrade.I have already had one turbo let go on me after having bought my nav 2nd hand then driving 130km from a nissan dealer.They were good about it 2nd hand motor with half the kms (I know the wrecker where it came from so they werent lying about the kms)But it got my thinking i like navaras and the zd30 is good motor so lets fix the problem the TURBO.Im a mechanic so i thought i would start investigating a fix i toyed with the idea of replacing the turbo core and having mine machined to take a gt25 ball bearing series oil/water cooled,as a gt25 is almost the same size as a hitachi 12ht-19d just a little larger.Then the idea of making an adaptor plate and installing a gt25 and then making up a dump and three inch system.The whole job would have cost me about $3000-$3200 plus 4 weeks off the road as i could only work after hours and weekends.Would have been rather time consuming custom water/oil lines whole exhaust different intake then i would have had to send if off to be dynoed.Then i spoke to andrew down at AXT turbo i was after a little tech support before i started ordering parts i was explaining what i was intending to do and as i finished explaining he says nice sounds exactly like what we have been doing to the navaras apart from making an adaptor plate they cut and weld a new flange on.I got a quote off andrew with price only just exceeding what i quoted myself with out me doing all the work So i did what any sane man would do i booked it in.

Now sorry about the long winded story.I picked my car up this arvo and it is amazing it is only running 12psi 4psi lower than standard but being slightly larger turbo it flows more air.The nav starts boosting almost off idle aroung 1000rpm just after and pulls the whole time to 4000rpm didnt want to push harder that that as i should never need to drive it over 3400 and thats only on the odd occasion.At 100 km it is sitting just only just under 2500rpm and 1/4 throttle if you plant your foot it pulls till 130km where i stopped would have gone further but speeding laws you know how it is.Egts didn't exceed 340degrees but in melbourne its about 10degrees outside.Before dyno 68kw and 395nm after 83kw 470nm very impressed with the job.The nav is more of a pleasure to drive well worth doing for anyone wanting to keep there their nav.And im glad i didnt do the work.

Czeslaw

so what exactly did you get in the end?
what did it cost?

and most importantly....where's the pics !

In the end GT25 ball bearing oil/water cooled custom braided oil/water lines, t-pieces and adaptors to suit,new silcone intake hoses,full 3inch exhaust the whole way back(I supplied my own high flow 3 inch cat)3inch flex join and exhaust made in three pieces for easy removal ,cut and weld turbo manifold before and after dyno.Thats it i think.It was 3450 in total.And pictures i wouldn't have a clue how to post them.

Czeslaw

hey mate thats pretty much what i was going to do but did they tell you that the carbon or somthing in the diesel eats the seals away in the turbos?thats y u need turbo for a diesel

hey mate was that a gt 2528 or disco potato or was it a gt 2860r? just wanting to know because i can pick up one for the cheap.:cheers!: n was it wuck of a drama to get turbo flanges made up or could u swap the exhaust manifold with a patrol one mabe that would be easier?

ive got a qd32 turbo kit,you could just go buy the kit for $2700 from capa, 105kw at 3600rpm low boost i think,mines a superior turbo kit from toowooba.

Back