D22 v D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobys

Reaction score
I have a few D22's and a D40 at work. All fairly late models (08-10) models. Driving the D40 2.5L 6 speed is quiet, comfortable and very powerful. Even up hills with a load on. But the D22 2.5L 5 speed is noisy, uncomfortable and gutless. Especially at low revs. It's like driving a tractor. I can't believe that these sister cars are so different. Can someone explain to me what's done to the 22 to make it so "detuned"?

this has been bought up on multiple threads, have a try of the search function.
To sum it up quickly the latest D40 has a different cylinder head, different turbo + intercooler, different ECU and i think i slightly different exhaust.

Are you sure it's not the lobotomy they give D22 drivers that makes them de-tuned?

It isnt detuned mate d40 has a electronicly controlled garret turbo running22psi larger ports and ecu is not the same d22 runs a tiny hitachi turbo at 15psi and a smaller intercooler on top of the hot motor if nissan put the same donk from the d40 in the 22 they would lose sales the d22 was only kept going due to being so popular.The drop in power from the zd30 was due to polution laws on paper the zd30 has more ponies but the 2.5 apart from down low is faster and responds better with a chip being common rail.

who cares... everyone knows the ZD30 will always be the best motor in the navara.

Bloody hell, stay on topic will you. We are seriously discussing the pros and cons of 2 similar engines, there is no room for your old dinosaur engines :ha:

hey who you calling dinosaur it can do 0-100 in 25 seconds with enough torque to push a boat down the ramp when you go to launch it

hey who you calling dinosaur it can do 0-100 in 25 seconds with enough torque to push a boat down the ramp when you go to launch it

Not on take off when towing a load. They struggle big time when it comes to trying to take off on any sort of incline..... mainly due to the poor 1st gear gearing..... A lower 1st gear and it would greatly improve it's ability overall.... but that's just what I've experienced when towing our van. When its up and moving its great, its just getting off the make that is the problem.... but this is just not a nissan problem, most manufacturers I reckon check this wrong in my opinion.....

Not on take off when towing a load. They struggle big time when it comes to trying to take off on any sort of incline..... mainly due to the poor 1st gear gearing..... A lower 1st gear and it would greatly improve it's ability overall.... but that's just what I've experienced when towing our van. When its up and moving its great, its just getting off the make that is the problem.... but this is just not a nissan problem, most manufacturers I reckon check this wrong in my opinion.....

you missed the joke I think...

Thx for all the replies people, very informative. Even the sarcastic answers are a good read.lol. When I said "gutless", that was maybe not fair. The 22's still get the job done and are very reliable. Except when the front pads get low and fall out.

never heard of D22's needing new brake pads before... I thought they still made them out of chuck norris's chest hair.

Latest posts

Back