D22 vs D40 engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
makes sence, saves having 2 different ECU's. i wonder if they use diffeent ecu's on the other diesels ??

Get the right chip, when the engine is $12,000 atleast dont use the wrong parts.

Dave.

I wasn't having a go at you Dave. I know you know your stuff.

Just saying its not worth the worry and hassle.

Dave.

I'd bet that it's the same ECU just a different program, the Dtronic for the 3.0 Patrol also works on the 3.0 Navara, just not as well as the model made specifically for the Navara as they are a slightly different fuel map due to the differing turbo.

does it really work? i got offered 1 the other day and i turned it down cos i didnt think it wold work.

i'll have to call up navara and ask about the turbo if its standard or variable to solve this epic issue as its confusing considering its advertised as variable but seems standard.

DP chip is on my list after i get paid this month. should be sweet....

does it really work? i got offered 1 the other day and i turned it down cos i didnt think it wold work.

I'm not 100% sure mate, I remember reading it on a forum somewhere that the Patrol one works on the Navara, but I'm not sure what else if anything had to be done to make it work.

any idea where i can get a DP chip cheapish? i seen them retail for 1450, hmm

i'm getting paid 2K end of month once i leave my job so i'll have enough to buy one

Did anyone every get to the bottom as to why there is such a power / torque difference between these 2.5l motors?

Its the state of tune.

Same thing happens with the 79 Series Landcruiser ute and 200 Series.

The 79 Series gearbox cant handle the torque of the twin turbo V8.

Plus they can do it and people still buy the cars.

Do you know the details ?.....ie is it just the boost or entirely different engine design ?

There are some questions here that I'd like to take a stab at.

The MAF sensor only reads the pressure of the air moving past - sort of like how far your UHF antenna is bending back as you drive along. This is a vital piece of information! If you join that info with the intake air temperature (which the ECU knows) and the boost pressure (which the ECU knows) then you can calculate how many molecules of air are entering each cylinder and therefore know exactly how much fuel to put in for an efficient burn. As air warms up it occupies more space so the most important piece of info is the intake temperature.

Try this experiment: on a cold morning, half-inflate a party balloon. Now put a circle of sticky-tape around its widest point and take it inside, letting it get warm. The balloon will bulge around the tape. It's still the same amount of air - just the temperature has changed. Because the MAF sensor is reading the same amount of air, but the temperature is higher, the ECU knows to inject LESS fuel to remain at peak efficiency because there's less air actually moving into the cylinders. This is another reason why our diesels like cold air.

This function of the ECU is also what makes our cars work equally well at sea level and at altitude. In old carburetor engines, if you were staying for any substantial length of time at a significantly different altitude, you'd get the carby re-jetted. My Honda Eu20si generator manual actually tells me to get the carby rejetted if I am going more than 300m higher or lower in elevation, to maintain peak efficiency. Our ECUs take care of this with the MAFS, temp and boost sensors.

My belief is that the D22 and D40 engines are the same except for the heads, turbocharger and the programming. I am not sure the D22 has a MAFS, so it might use a milder tune in order to stop the engine from leaning out too much at sea level and not be too rich at altitude.

The turbocharger in the D40 has movable vanes on the output of the compressor that adjust the flow of air into the manifold. It allows for faster response to a changing demand, because the turbo's already spooled up. Trouble is, I think the D40 tune also includes some fuel waste to keep that turbo spooled high (to prevent lag) and I really wouldn't mind removing that - I'd take the lag, to get the economy of a D22.

MAF reads the mass of air going past. MAP reads pressure.

the whole reason for the difference between D22 2.5 and D40 is simply marketing. can't have the cheap D22 having the same power as the expensive D40.
by using the same engine it reduces manufactures costs.

i wouldn't mind better any late fuel injection is to keep back pressure up to keep EGR flow up. also to keep the cat warm so it reduces Nox.

As far as I know, the 128Kw engine and the D22 CRD YD25 engines run the same block, head and internals and maybe a few other components.

The turbo is different.

The 140KW STX engine run's a different cylinder head.

Latest posts

Back