D22 vs. D40 ...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How big a Kubota ?

I almost bought a Kubota ride on as I hate mowing lawns, someone beat me to it though. Grrrr.

Dave.

No wonder you like the D22 so much :eviltongue:

Has anyone mentioned in this thread that the other area the D40 has it over the D22 (for the sake of the thread) is that the D40 tows more weight.....Well that's not entirely true, you could tow the QE2 with either if you got a push start but the D40 does have a higher towing rating if towing is an issue in choosing models.

True, would be good if Nissan still built all the vehicles in Japan.

Thats one of the main factors I bought the D22.

Dave.

A mate is looking at buying a 2nd hand 22 next year,what year did they stop making them in Japan?
Is there a way to tell whether they are jap or tai by the vin number?

Last edited:
Middle of 2009 I think it was.

Look at the tailgate, the ones with the tailgate like the 3L's are all Japan built and the ones with just a handle and no plastic around it are Thailand built.

The Vin number should have a certain letter to say which plant it came out of to.

Dave.

Not as far as I know, Nissan only built the plant there a few years back.

Its to do with the free trade agreement between Australia and Thailand.

Dave.

another thing to consider between the D22 & D40 (but it does not sound like it's applicable in this case) if you are using the D40 for business you need to keep a log book, but you don't need to keep the log book with the D22 (because it has a carrying capacity of 1 tonne)

I probably wouldn't either.

I also couldn't see myself driving across the country in a D22 because they just didn't feel like a vehicle I could sit in for 10 hours at a time. I couldn't give a rats about which ute has the best bits because in general I reckon most parts are made to the same quality no matter where they are from.

The fact that I couldn't see myself driving a D22 across the country is purely a personal decision based on the comfort I didn't feel in them but everyone is different, what is comfortable for one isn't comfortable for another. Doesn't make the D22 less capable of the same job.

That being said. We still don't want you in a D40 Dave :eviltongue:

You wouldn't sit in a car for 10 hours anyway Krafty you are never off the computer.Instead of giving all of this advice get in your car and get it dirty.:ha:

another thing to consider between the D22 & D40 (but it does not sound like it's applicable in this case) if you are using the D40 for business you need to keep a log book, but you don't need to keep the log book with the D22 (because it has a carrying capacity of 1 tonne)

As you say it may not be applicable in this case but I thought even a 1 tonner needed a log book if the car wasn't 100% business use. Mine's a D40 so the 1 tonne bit doesn't come into it anyway but the only reason I keep the log book instead of just claim the fuel is work out the percentage business use to private, because it's not registered purely as a business vehicle and I don't want it to be.

wow. 4 pages of response.
Thanks folks.
After reading everything, i think i'm now even more split between the 2. I ran around some delaers yesterday and had a look at both machines. The D40 seems superior, as in, appears to be much more modern inside and outside. But in saying that, it still comes with a price tag of aorund $8k more than the D22. Long trips won't be an issue as, i doubt we would have long trips... Nothing planned yet. Kids? Well they are in the plans. Which is why the D22 is a turn-off since it's back seat is... well, why is it even there? I'll definitely need to think about this.

Can of worms anyone? Lol

Uniden, having owned both a D40 and now a D22, I should be able to give you unbiased advice.

I am/was happy with both trucks, however as has been said they are very different vehicles. If you want something comfortable for trips, and if you have to put people in the back seat, then I would say the D40 is the vehicle for you. The D40 transmissions are also much better suited to highway driving than the D22, road noise is less, much more gadgets inside, cruise control, seat adjustments, blah blah. They're basically like driving a Statesman. My dad has a D40 ST 6 spd manual, and I had the 5 spd auto box. Having driven both I would recommend the auto, I hated the feel of the clutch and gearbox of the manual D40, the auto on the other hand is smooth as silk and well geared.

That said, I am very happy with my D22 and considering the fact that you can get a new D22 ST-R for under $30k at the moment, and an ST D40 is $10k dearer, and a ST-X and about $15-20k dearer, I think they are bloody fantastic value for money. I have found the D22 to be better off-road, due to the shorter wheelbase, higher ground clearance, better standard tyres, more rugged suspension and lower gear ratios. I also like the fact that you engage 4WD with a lever connected to the transfer case rather than using a button. Resale value on the D22 I believe is better as well.

Take both of them for a test drive, and decide which one you prefer. They are both going to be good vehicles, just different. One thing's for sure and that your wife/girlfriend will probably hate driving either of them....lol

Last edited:
If kids are only in the offering then you have a few years before they will be too big for the back of a D22 - we have 3 kids (2, 4 & 6) and that means 2 car seats and a booster seat and it's not a problem (it is however a MAJOR pain in the arse if you need to get in behind the back seat with all the car seats in) and I agree - your missus won't like driving eithor. I had the choice of D40 or D22 and went with the D22 (my 2nd one) can't think of a single negative - it's not our main car it's my play/work car but I luv it - and if you buy something that's $10,000 less at new - than you have $10,000 less to lose when you sell it!

Attachments

• can o worms.jpeg
    can o worms.jpeg
    2.1 KB · Views: 39
Awe Krankin I hope that's not to all D40 drivers. I wouldn't use that kind of language to describe you just because you own a D22, I'm open to other reasons but owning a '22 isn't justification enough.

Latest posts

Back