D22 zd30 engine blown - what to do?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plankosaurus

Reaction score
G'day guys, I've got a 2003 d22 that spat chips while on the freeway last night. Was driving along minding my own business when it started running a bit rough. I pushed in the clutch and it revved itself stupid, put it back in gear quickly, started making a friggen awful noise so turned it off. I tried starting it again while still rolling and it turned over really slowly and wouldn't start.

At that point I thought, stuff it, it's cactus anyway so I dropped it back in gear to see if i could start it and limp it home. It started on me, stopped making the worst of the racket, but ran rough as guts at idle and had next to no power. When I pulled up at home and popped the bonnet, there was oil EVERYWHERE and the catch can was full to the brim with all the lovely fresh magnetek oil from last weekends service.

So I assume I've cracked a piston or two, or melted them, and I need to work out a plan of attack. I've got my mums old lanos here to drive as long as I need to, but for obvious reasons, I want to keep that to a minimum...

Option 1 - buy a new car and sell what's left of this one (any idea what it might be worth? 450,000 on the clock)

Option 2 - get a reco or 2nd hand engine and swap it out (can probably do this myself, but seems like an awful lot of money for a gamble engine from wreckers)

Option 3 - get a rebuild kit from eBay and attempt to fix it (anyone that knows what they're doing want to make a few $ giving me a hand?)

Any advice would be appreciated, assistance even more so ;-)

Last edited:
hmmm I had my motor fill up with diesel from a lose "banjo bolt" that the MECHANICS left lose inside the rocker cover! Think about it- unless you have over filled it with oil how else would the oil get into the catch can ? Just a thought- I thought it was the turbo at first, the way it revved it's head off and shat out a "bat mobile style" smoke screen:)
Where are you ? if your close i'll come have a look...

Sounds to me like you copped a bit of "Run On" and it's overreved and blown itself up. The wreckers would offer you bugger all. Providing it's in good condition a rebuild kit would be a much safer option than a second hand unit from a wreckers.

Sounds to me like you copped a bit of "Run On" and it's overreved and blown itself up. The wreckers would offer you bugger all. Providing it's in good condition a rebuild kit would be a much safer option than a second hand unit from a wreckers.

but what caused the run on?

How did the oil level get high enough to enter the rocker cover blow by vent hose! to pass through the catch can fill the air filter then into the turbo to cause run on ? More the point if it was a "run on " caused by the turbo eating oil you would have had to stall the engine for it to have stopped before it self destructed! It will be interesting to find out heay Happy John

Yep it's a mystery, that was just my initial thoughts, could be anything diesels that run away can only be stopped by blocking the turbo or it self destructs.

run on

Yep it's a mystery, that was just my initial thoughts, could be anything diesels that run away can only be stopped by blocking the turbo or it self destructs.

Ha- I carry a plastic bag in the "glove box" just for that, so I can put it over the snorkel!
After it happened to me in the main street of Cowes and nearly going "monsta truck" on the bubble car in front of me and then having to dump the clutch in 4th to stall it- I don't mind saying when she went to full throttle from cursing along at 40ks I shat myself !
I thought the "nav" went all "Christine" on me:)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, glad I've got a couple of you scratching your heads!

I thought at first the run on might have been the cruise control, I've had it not pick up the clutch before, but a quick step on the brakes stopped it last time. This time it kept revving when I turned the cruise off and I needed to flick the ignition off to get it to stop.

There's also a lovely grindy noise after the engine shut down too, something not healthy keept spinning for a second.

Anyway, I'm in selby (next to belgrave) if anyone is local enough to lend a hand. I'll probably pull the head off Saturday to see what it looks like, if you want to come and satisfy your curiosity i can guarantee you won't die of thirst :p

Ok sure- Don't pull it apart yet ok! P/M me your phone and i'll give you a buzz! I have to go to dandy some time this week- what's your weekdays like?

Ok sure- Don't pull it apart yet ok! P/M me your phone and i'll give you a buzz! I have to go to dandy some time this week- what's your weekdays like?
I work night shift so pretty good. I don't like getting up much before midday but I've never killed the postie for getting me up early so you'd probably be safe ;-) only thing I need to do with the day is drop the kids off and pick them up.

pm on its way mate, thanks

Oil from ashole to breakfast :p
Nice puddle underneath too, probably not going to have to drain much!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1429582599142.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429582599142.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 180
  • uploadfromtaptalk1429582624471.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429582624471.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Oil looks like it was probably sprayed around by the fan. What the dipstick say? Plenty of oil in the engine still, no maccas thickshake?

Oil looks like it was probably sprayed around by the fan. What the dipstick say? Plenty of oil in the engine still, no maccas thickshake?

Dunno how much is in the engine, cant see it on the dipstick and most of it seems to have lubricated my engine bay. no thickshake that i can see, coolant looks ok aswell (a little whitish slurry at the cap but the rest is green as green)

I reckon its just a massive amount of pressure going through the catch can, the little pepsi bottle is full to the brim so i assume its just been spraying out the catch can pressure release valves. i drove it a while to get it home so thats why its seriously everywhere.

I'll talk to you tomorrow but where do you think the oil is coming from!
What area does it look like it's coming from? Obviously it's from the exhaust side of the block but where would you say- can you take more picks of the block and turbo and how you have routed the lines for the catch can, does the catch can go back to the original position on the rubber intake piping or does it just vent into the engine bay from the catch can?

It look's like it's coming from the vent on the catch can -it looks like the catch can goes back to the intake.. What's the oil over the exhaust manifold shroud/heat shield ! is that from the "big bang" or a shaky hand at oil change time?

I'm pretty sure its mostly come from the catch can and been blown back either by the wind or the fan. the bulk of the oil is all over the wheel well and the control arms etc. there is some around the back of the engine and a little over the other side towards the rear too so possibly the PCV has spat chips aswell or maybe its even come out the rocker cover due to all the pressure?

Catch can comes from the rover cover - to the can - then to the intake in front of the turbo (catch can dumps into a pepsi bottle next to the ratiator). havn't pulled the turbo inlet off yet but i'll be willing to bet its flooded with back stuff.

I've found a guy on ebay with a used engine for $3k, 145,000 on it. seems pretty reasonable to me and will save a WHOLE bunch of stuffing around doing a rebuild. still on the fence about this, everythings a bad option IMO, its just picking the best of a shit situation lol

Also wondering if maybe something else has caused the overrun & crack/hole situation? is it possible that something in the injection system has failed suddenly and overfueled the car? if this is a possibility then i'll be steering very much towards a used engine with all the bolt ons in place!

i'm reasonably ok with old carby petrol engines, but i'm lost from injection onwards and i'd never owned a diesel till a few years ago, so not a whole lot of experience with the finer details of how these things work...

Having the catch can to low can be a problem. I'd remove the catch can, put the plumbing back to normal, pull the front elbow off the front of the turbo and check to see if it's full of oil, clean it out, pull the turbo to manifold pipe off and see whats in there, top up your oil and see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back