D22 zd30 engine blown - what to do?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah rum i'd like to see and video it for "us" here! He is thinking of looking at it Sunday so I'll do my best to get over to him!

i doubt the catch can position has anything to do with it, its been like that for some time now. drove up to maldon and back over the long weekend and barely any more oil sitting in the pepsi bottle. But i will be pulling the turbo elbow off shortly to see if thats whats gone on me, seems a bit weird to suddenly go kaboom on me when its been running fine for so long. Turbos a cheap ebay unit, only 15,000 or so on it - i'll be kicking myself if thats the cause because i've been putting off installing an intercooler for a few months now...

And in other news, i've hit the button on a used engine for $3000 with 145,000km on the clock. seems like a bargain to me, and i'm really suss on whats caused the engine to go bang so having all the hang-offs is going to give me some piece of mind. And i've just remembered that an old mate of mine is a Nissan mechanic, how in f#@%s name did i forget that when my engine went kaboom!?!?

Stay tuned for more pictures of whats gone bang as i pull it down and eventually replace it...

So out with the old, but not quite in with the new yet. Some dummy didn't think about clutches until Saturday and wasn't able to get one when I found I needed it on Sunday.

Clutch is ready now, new motor sitting in front of the car and waiting to be dropped in.

Started pulling everything off the old motor, looks like piston 3 is the issue, but not that much oil going out the exhaust, it's all around the intake.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430383062574.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430383062574.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 113
Well done ! Good to hear you have it sorted ! How did you go with the pic's of the tear down. cheers vic

I've only started removing everything to get it out the way for now, might pull the head off Sunday if I've got time after popping the new engine in.

Mate reckons it.might be a stuck valve going by the lack of oil in the exhaust, keen to see what went bang!

So it seems I've hit a bit of a wall here. Does anyone have any tricks handy for lining up the engine to the gearbox? I've tried swearing at it, loudly, but it seems happy to ignore my profanities :p

This is a bit of a first for me, I've only done a few engine swaps before and they've all been in old holdens where I've had the box out at the same time.

Any help appreciated, I'm running out of swear words!

its a **** of a job. took me an 2 hours to get mine to marry back up. just make minor adjustments because its all so tight tolerances.

ps make sure the clutch pedal is up lol

Woohoo!

I had a little think last night and worked out a little trick. I went down to the local hardware and bought a couple of 100mm bolts and a 130mm bolt. I got it all lined up, stuck the 2 100mm bolts in the side bolt holes and the 130 in one of the bottom holes. Then I lifted the front of the engine so the weight was more at the back and just wound in the bottom bolt. Once it was in far enough for the normal bottom bolt I stuck one in, a few more turns and I was able to swap the other bottom and side bolts for normal bolts then it all came together.

Ran out of time to put the front diff back in, but was able to start it - gotta love hearing it live again! :-D

So engine is in, nav is back on the road and driving nicely, and I've finally gotten round to pulling the head off to see what's wrong. Piston 2 is cracked and has a nice chunk taken out of it...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1431314204400.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431314204400.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 110
  • uploadfromtaptalk1431314227497.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1431314227497.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 106
Howdy fella, great news for you then.. may I ask what you intend to do with the old block?
I'm coming over to Bayswater tomorrow morning to have the ute looked so I will be near you, if you want to get rid of it I will take it off your hands...

Well, there's your problem...

uploadfromtaptalk1432343292513.jpg

Seriously, if it's not one thing its another. On the road not even a fortnight and bang! Off comes a wheel at 100 on the Monash. On the plus side, it's not often you get to see a big old trail of sparks trailing behind you and your wheel overtaking you :p

Anyone want to buy a navara? Top condition, never had an issue

thats your mechanics fault or yours if you where the last to remove the wheel, if you dont tighen it down what do you expect ;)

Havn't touched that wheel since taking the muddies off last spring, probably over 20,000km - possibly my fault for not paying more attention, but doubt its an issue with tightening.

All fix now, $320 down the hole but that's chickenfeed compared to the engine.

Howdy- well aren't you a lucky fella! danmmmm!
Happened to a mate a month ago- I think he's just got the colour coming back to he's face now! Back one too- holden rodeo 4x4. And yes the shops fault as he just had new boots fitted- f'n twats and their "rattle guns"...
Ahh the Monash car park - well at least you wouldn't be holding the traffic up, shit I used to let the dog out for a walk some mornings ;)

Back