d22 zd30 engine wont stop

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dansd22

Reaction score
it starts and runs fine but u turn the ignition key off and she just keeps running ...does the zd run a fuel cut off solenoid and where is it? any help will be greatly appreciated as im having to stall the engine to kill it... thanx

Welcome to the forum.

First thing I'd try is disconnecting the PCV hose. Generally I'd advise against running the car with an opening near the turbo that's unfiltered, but this is only a test. Remove the hose from just in front of the turbocharger and aim it towards the ground beneath the car, make sure it's going to stay there when the engine jerks about during startup.

Now start the car, let it idle for a second or two and turn it off.

If the problem has gone away, it's a mild case of diesel run-on and it can be quite dangerous. Fitting a catch can will help, but finding out why enough vapour is making it out of your sump would be a good idea too. Overfilled? Worn piston rings? Scarred bores?

If the problem hasn't gone away, get a helper. Have them put leather gloves (gardening gloves or welding gloves will do). Loosen the positive battery cable and have your friend hold it in place. Start the car and idle it. Turn the car off. If it doesn't stop, have your friend pull the positive lead off the battery. Does it stop now?

If it DOES stop, then there's a chance your ECU is staying on and there's a problem in the ignition switch. Removing the switch and giving it a major does of electrical contact cleaner may solve the problem.

There's a couple of things to try, anyway.

It may be as simple as an egr pipe leak affecting the shutdown butterfly - it'd be an extreme case but.

if u pull the ecu fuse the engine shuts down...so im leaning electrical not oil run on also if i manually close buterfly the engine stops .... im thinking i will check ignition switch as it feels a bit dickie sum times...

ive previously broken the egr pipe and had it repaired and gusseted ... even when broken the engine still turned off from memory

It's good to hear that it's electrical, actually - means the ignition is a little dodgy. You should be able to marry the key section of yours to the switch section of another, so that you don't have to change keys.

if u pull the ecu fuse the engine shuts down...so im leaning electrical not oil run on also if i manually close buterfly the engine stops .... im thinking i will check ignition switch as it feels a bit dickie sum times...

ignition switch or possibly an accessory thats been wired in and is back feeding into the ignition line.

Back