d40 2008 auto issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terry58

Reaction score
hello.
i get how to drain the auto box and clean the bottom pan once removed but surely the dipstick isnt the filler also.

getting the new fluid through that is rediculas.

also what atf fluid do i use. is it specific for the d40 or can i use normal atf fluid.ive a 20 ltre drum of it which was suitable fir a range rover so i asdume good spec for navara.

i have a noise at 60 miles an hour with a sort of vibration which im hoping is a uj joint. do they suffer with bad joints.

Check out my posts on page 2 and 3 for the transmission service, I just did it a few weeks ago

Can’t find dipstick | Page 2 | Nissan Navara Forum

Also - Penrite Multi Vehicle LV is the oil recommended for the Auto that I used. It needs to be specified for the Navara box, not any trans fluid will do.

Also, yes the Dipstick is also the filler.. the other way of filling is through the allen key bolt at the front of the sump which is how Nissan does it with a pump and fitting that I don't have

Buy a cheap transfer pump from fleabay, mine was $20, best investment so far - this one - DC 12V Car Engine Oil Transfer Extractor Pump Fluid Diesel Electric Siphon Comb 676458810111 | eBay

Last edited:
^ As above for the ATF fluid. The manual for the car (the one the dealers use, not the one in your glove box) specifically states to ONLY use Nissan ATF Matic Fluid J and actually states this in bold:

*5: Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN ATF Matic Fluid J will cause deterioration in driveability
and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the warranty.

(copied and pasted from the PDF, so the formatting of the lines may not be perfect in your browser).

With that said though, there will be an identical equivalent and most mechanics would know, and perhaps oil suppliers and probably even retailers which ones could replace it.

Nissan don't make oil. Nissan test an oil, design around that grade of oil, then consider it the standard that must be adhered to. Because the auto box relies heavily on the qualities of that oil, you should try to match it, but Nissan probably couldn't tell if you used a Penrite oil that had the same specs as a Valvoline (say) oil that they based theirs on.

Oh, just to add ... check both your drive shafts, they should be very tight with no play front or rear. If there's no play, try this: find a corner that you can take at the same speed in both directions and do it (not drifting, doing around the advised speed for the corner). Listen carefully to the car each time. If the noise changes for one way compared to the other, you've got a wheel bearing problem. Let it go too long and the bearing will start to disintegrate and fling muck into the ABS ring and then your ABS light will come on and the ABS itself will randomly fire (happened to me).

i didnt have too look to far . the uj at the transmision end has more slack in it than a hores draws. it is kafuffed beening knackard. im suprised it even worked. how the hell they drove it around like this is beyond me. anyway its coming off tomorrow and then off for repair. i do indeed have a dipstick and it is also the method of refilling the transmission. my oil smells fine not burnt but its a brown grey colour. it changes gear so smoothly i wonder if it changes gear at all. so i plan to drain and refill a few times then do a final drain and fill and changing the filter at the same time.

i didnt have too look to far . the uj at the transmision end has more slack in it than a hores draws. it is kafuffed beening knackard. im suprised it even worked. how the hell they drove it around like this is beyond me. anyway its coming off tomorrow and then off for repair. i do indeed have a dipstick and it is also the method of refilling the transmission. my oil smells fine not burnt but its a brown grey colour. it changes gear so smoothly i wonder if it changes gear at all. so i plan to drain and refill a few times then do a final drain and fill and changing the filter at the same time.

That's how my oil looked and I'm at the 250 mark, I went against doing too much of the old fluid being changed, I don't want to risk it with all new oil. Something to keep in mind.

I still managed to get 4L out of the sump and changing the filter.

so i cant use this oli then ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220208-210807_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220208-210807_Gallery.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 8
this is the oil that range rover and bmw spec in there box' and range rover use zf gbox's which are tough. id be suprised if this wasnt vompatible. my truck is 15yrs old done 131000 miles and although gbox works well i feel its time for a change. i supose i could ask ny motor factors which oil the book says. here in uk im sure it will not be nissan j fluid. i could be wrong.

ha ha found a uk supplier who state that a atf sp111 is compatiable with nissan matic j.

Attachments

• 20220208_214356.jpg
    20220208_214356.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 7
Nissan Matic J ATF is supposed to be equivalent to Dexron III, but it appears to be Castrol Transmax J semi-synthetic oil and labelled as Nissan Matic J. It adheres to the JASO 1A standard.

I wouldn't be surprised if your car gave you no problems at all with the oil you've chosen, but during some extremes (cold, heat) you might notice a difference in shifting with the different oil (example: it might shift later than before, or you might feel the shift more).

Nissan Matic J ATF is supposed to be equivalent to Dexron III, but it appears to be Castrol Transmax J semi-synthetic oil and labelled as Nissan Matic J. It adheres to the JASO 1A standard.

I wouldn't be surprised if your car gave you no problems at all with the oil you've chosen, but during some extremes (cold, heat) you might notice a difference in shifting with the different oil (example: it might shift later than before, or you might feel the shift more).

The oil @terry58 has posted clearly has 'mineral' on it.. I'm almost certain the ones on Castrol / Penrite etc all recommend Full Synth trans fluids?

are you refering to dextron & 11d atf or the sp111 atf ?

Both, really. I was referring to the oils listed in the manuals for the automatic gearbox in the 2008 (the RE5R05A) and how the ones you've chosen (either) won't be too dissimilar. Some of the guys in the USA seem to be throwing almost anything that complies with Dexron 2 or 3 in the box and don't have too many complaints. One of the more widely recommended replacements is Idemitsu Type J, it comes with some glowing references but I don't know how much of that is just butter and cream, since it's also the cheapest of the ATFs.

The oil @terry58 has posted clearly has 'mineral' on it.. I'm almost certain the ones on Castrol / Penrite etc all recommend Full Synth trans fluids?

Perhaps they are now, but the inside word from back then is that Nissan rebranded Castrol semi-synthetic as Nissan Matic J ATF. Nissan Matic S ATF might be fully synthetic - that's the oil recommended for the 7-speed RE7R01B box. The older RE5 boxes (2006 to 2010) used the J oil, and in the newer models with the RE5 box (2011 to 2014) the service manual says you can use either.

i think im going to use dextron 11 /11d to do a couple of flushes and then once oil stays clean do a final drain and filter change / clean, theres nothing wrong with how the g box is behaving now but im at 131000 miles and i doubt its been changed and im unhappy with the colour of the oil. it dosent smell burnt and still has that atf smell and is clean when you smear the oil accross a surface, i just think its time for a change. thankyou for all the replies. interesting views.

i think im going to use dextron 11 /11d to do a couple of flushes and then once oil stays clean do a final drain and filter change / clean, theres nothing wrong with how the g box is behaving now but im at 131000 miles and i doubt its been changed and im unhappy with the colour of the oil. it dosent smell burnt and still has that atf smell and is clean when you smear the oil accross a surface, i just think its time for a change. thankyou for all the replies. interesting views.

I did my trans fluid at approx 150k miles, not long ago. Same position as you, it was still all behaving like it should but looked terrible.

Well worth changing it while you can.

I'd definitely do the filter as well.

Hi, I have recently changed the auto trans oil in my 2010 D40 navara, and after geting various prices ,I found the 4 litres genunine packs from Nissan (sunshine coast ) was around $45.00 from memory, which was comparable to supa cheap/autobarn etc. Tom

Here's a pic of the tag on my own RE5 gearbox (taken a few years ago, when I was having gearbox trouble). They're made by Japan Automatic Transmission COmpany (JATCO). I won't resize the image (the forum might), I'll just upload it raw from my phone.

20190502_092919.jpg

Latest posts

Back