d40 2008 auto issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of the tag on my own RE5 gearbox (taken a few years ago, when I was having gearbox trouble). They're made by Japan Automatic Transmission COmpany (JATCO). I won't resize the image (the forum might), I'll just upload it raw from my phone.

View attachment 38140
Ahhh Jatco, such a love hate relationship with them.

When they make a decent box, it's decent..

Then they made the pile of garbage CVT for all Nissans that fail before 50k Kms (even mine twice).

Ahhh Jatco, such a love hate relationship with them.

When they make a decent box, it's decent..

Then they made the pile of garbage CVT for all Nissans that fail before 50k Kms (even mine twice).

Yeah fair call there. CVT has come a long way, but still needs improvement - whether that R&D will actually happen before the world goes electric is another thing I don't know.

It's still feasible to have ICE-powered vehicles without oil-based fuels. Ethanol is viable, as is biodiesel. Both can come from crops (sugar cane and tallow being two notable sources used in Australia). But will they go to any great lengths to support these, when an electric motor of half the weight of an ICE can produce twice its power or more?

Yeah fair call there. CVT has come a long way, but still needs improvement - whether that R&D will actually happen before the world goes electric is another thing I don't know.

It's still feasible to have ICE-powered vehicles without oil-based fuels. Ethanol is viable, as is biodiesel. Both can come from crops (sugar cane and tallow being two notable sources used in Australia). But will they go to any great lengths to support these, when an electric motor of half the weight of an ICE can produce twice its power or more?
the Toyota ICE running on Hydrogen looks and sounds like a typical petrol based engine driveline.. I'm hoping this overtakes electric as it seems a cleaner path overall when it comes to creating the stuff vs mining all that cobalt / lithium.

the Toyota ICE running on Hydrogen looks and sounds like a typical petrol based engine driveline.. I'm hoping this overtakes electric as it seems a cleaner path overall when it comes to creating the stuff vs mining all that cobalt / lithium.

Yeah Toyota are having a gamble, the problem with hydrogen is containment is difficult, the molecules are so small they can slip through gaps between atoms in the walls of the tank - it's a little like trying to store petrol in your sock.

There are other battery technologies coming too, and I can't wait to see some of the more common element ones like the sodium batteries. That stuff's everywhere - our oceans are full of it!

Latest posts

Back