D40 accident - the saga continues - would you accept this?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebundychick

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just looking for advice on the quality of the repair job on my truck.

After patiently waiting 8 weeks for my car - I received it back with a brand spanking new front end. Everything from the windscreen forward had been replaced.

Admittedly I was disappointed to find on arrival that the truck, which had been "detailed" had only been detailed on the new panels. The remained of the car looked like it had simply been washed.

It was three days later when the car was parked in direct sunlight I noticed this:

1908147_10153050689307339_2475938910948709461_n.jpg

I took a series of photos, sent them to the repairer and asked for advice.

"We can fix that in half an hour, bring it in" was the prompt reponse. Thrilled, I took the car in. True to their word, half an hour later the car came out and from the offset looked fixed. Apparently the issue was excess polish had dried on the car, baking on, which then required more polish to soften the dried polish, before buffing it all off again.

I drive away thinking everything is fine.

However, this morning I went around to the passenger side door to get a few things out off the passenger seat. The car is parked in direct sunlight - and now the scratches look like this:

11695933_10153065517387339_4913322295265523141_n.jpg

Again. I took a series of photographs and sent them to the repairer. Three hours later I'm awaiting a response.

Thoughts? Will this buff out? The scratches look worse than the original. Should i be contacting my insurance company to let them know?

Should buff out, but straight back to the insurer if i were you. They will have a guarantee on the work.

What is causing it? This was supposed to fix the scratches that would "buff out" the first time.

I've polished my car every three months for 2.5 years and never had this issue. What are they doing wrong?

What is causing it? This was supposed to fix the scratches that would "buff out" the first time.

I've polished my car every three months for 2.5 years and never had this issue. What are they doing wrong?

Looks as if they have used a damp rag to try and wipe the wax off horizontally.
No more polish to soften baked in wax.
It's good they admitted fault and tried to help as quick as possible but especially on the panels around the motor, as soon as it's running at normal temp or been in the sun and you put your wax on the car its going to dry out..
Personally I'd go to my insurer and see what they had to say in regard to the panels and also the whole car being 'detailed'.
Wouldn't take you too long one morning to fix yourself and that way you can finish the car and also do it properly

I rang my insurer. Said I'm not happy with the repair, that I've already taken it back once, and they've failed to reply to my second email. They have offered to organise everything from here and will organise the assessor to be present when rework is done.

Buffer burn requires a repaint doesn't it?

these marks are buffer trails
they are not buffer burn
they may polish out by hand if your lucky
random orbital polisher with soft foam pad and medium to soft compound polish would remove them

Heard from the assessor this morning, whilst he hasn't been out to look at the car yet, he said he's been in contact with the repairer who advise they're happy to repair the car but will need it all day.

All day to buff a few panels?

As it turns out, the dirtier the car is, the easier it is to see the problems.

19515_10153083419147339_3112687352340126934_n.jpg

11701218_10153083419612339_7159714726368019651_n.jpg

I'm about to go up and do a little spot test on one of the areas to see if I can get it to buff out. But it looks like they've gone through the clear coat to be honest.

Same thing happened to me when i had my Navara repaired.
The whole side of my car was like that.
Took it back and they "Fixed" it but it still had the same issue.

I didn't take it back to them, i got a quote from a deailer to fix it.

Assessors are full of shit.
My assessor told me told me all necessary repairs would be carried out when I aquaplaned and bent up my front end.
So they did a wheel alignment to fix the bent structural and steering parts.
I sent it back and they actually did fix the front end, but didn't replace the wheel bearing or shock.
They fixed the wheel bearing and said they'll look at the shock.
I don't doubt they may have looked at the shock while they were doing the wheel bearing (you'd have to consciously look away from it) but they didn't replace it
The saga continues

It's hard to tell from the pic's but in 30 years working with paints I have never seen anything like this! I thought you might be right that they had "cut" through the clear but it looks like it's "in" the clear coat! Keep "us" posted on what it was ok ! Weird shite indeed but it could just be "swirl marks"?? Wrong cutters or polish used! Maybe "buffed" to soon after coming out of the oven? weird..........

OK -

Here's the state of play -

I've had pneumonia for a few weeks, and on top of that the light hasn't been good enough (too overcast) for the assessor to come out. Finally caught up with him last week, was a nice guy, took one look at it and said "Yeah.. thats not good enough"

Car went to the repairer on Thursday. The assessor came out late Thursday afternoon and passed the car (at the time I couldn't see how he could considering it was very late in the day and the sun was already too low.

However! The assessor noticed a number of defects on a repair that I had done from a previous car accident (young boy reversed without checking his mirror, flew straight in to me, repair to entire LHS of car). At the time I wasn't happy with a few things on that repair, namely an existing scratch (someone had keyed my car) that they said would be completely gone as the entire panel would be repainted "Because we can't blend this colour". When I got the car back, they'd just painted over the scratch. I rang them and asked what had happened and was told they didn't have to repair that as it was already existing. I just kind let it go because I didn't think I had a leg to stand on.

Anyway - the assessor was not happy with a number of things regarding that repair, said something about the paint having "sunk back" or similar (I worked for a powdercoater for a number of years, never heard of it) and spoke to the repairer about it. As my current repairer is the parent company of the previous repairer, they agreed to honour the defects. They kept the car overnight, the assessor instructed I get a courtesy car, and my car was ready yesterday afternoon.

They repainted my front passenger door as well as the panel above the front left tyre.

I mentioned to the assessor when he came out that I couldn't understand why you'd tell someone you were going to detail their car, and then only detail half a car, so when I got it back the entire car has been polished.

It looks pretty good, I hope nothing else crops up. I just want to enjoy my car and endeavour to never ever have another car accident because they're to much freaking stress.

11828657_10153100282852339_2376160875546358913_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back