D40 AUTO fuel economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's true. I subscribe to the theory that the less rpm, the less fuel being used. Whether or not 20% extra fuel to get 10% extra speed to cover the distance in 90% of the time it would otherwise take may be more economical, this is the way that I prefer to do it most of the time.

Just thought I'd share my latest fuel figures after fitting my new wheels, my economy went from an average of 13 LPHK on the standard 255/70/16 tyres to 15 LPHK on my new 275/65/17's (26mm taller) after 2 tanks. Adding on the 3.3% for the larger diameter tyre for the speedo correction brings it back to about 14.5 LPHK, I knew that bigger wheels weren't going help with my economy but surprised it would be that much.

Arty - i found the same result. Thats why i usually drive around on my 31" tyres, and only put the 32's on when going off road.

Last night on the way to a 4x4 club meeting, and dealing with traffic, and a max top speed on the hightway of 95km/hr (even krafty might have passed me at that speed) i got 12.5 l/h according to SCII
On the way home - with stuff all traffic and the lights mostly going in my favour, with a top speed of 80km/hr i managed to get the mileage down to 9.6l/h

There was no change in load, but there was a huge difference in how i drove, and less traffic arround me too.

Mind you, i still average closer to 14 to 15 l/h overall because i do a lot of short distance cold start trips - usually with traffic.

You get up to 95kph? Doesn't the engine make too much noise when you do that speed racer?

I have done 11000 ks now and the ST is starting to loosen up the last tank I got 11.9/100 around town and a couple of 35 ks each way I have installed a bluetooth dongle to the OBD port which reports all to my GPS similar to the scan gauge info I think.

Tills, I'd be interested in knowing what GPS software you have to achieve this, and which bluetooth dongle you used.

I have a bluetooth dongle for my OBD port but can't get it to talk with anything. I'll admit I bought from the cheaper end of the shelf but I still expected SOMETHING from it. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough, and maybe I just have the wrong software. Very interested to see how you got it going!

It's too much risk I tells ya!!!

Yup ... i knows you keeps telling me ... but i got a thick noggin, and it takes a bit to get used to new knowledge.

I'm still used to pointing the car in the right direction and putting the foot down until it git where i wanna go, then using a different pedal to stop (just as quickly).

a tad different now i'm driving the Nav ... i only put the foot down when i wanna get stuck in some mud hole somewhere and want to take half the mud hole home with me (stuck all over the car, as the VNOG'ers saw today):rock:

Tills, I'd be interested in knowing what GPS software you have to achieve this, and which bluetooth dongle you used.

I have a bluetooth dongle for my OBD port but can't get it to talk with anything. I'll admit I bought from the cheaper end of the shelf but I still expected SOMETHING from it. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough, and maybe I just have the wrong software. Very interested to see how you got it going!

Its a Garmin 3790T with the ecoroute HD dongle it was $200 dollar extra and apears to work quite well a lot of good features for milage. Probably heaps more info but I havent figured that out yet there is plenty of other gauges as well you canpick 5 different ones to be displayed at once.

Just thought I'd share my latest fuel figures after fitting my new wheels, my economy went from an average of 13 LPHK on the standard 255/70/16 tyres to 15 LPHK on my new 275/65/17's (26mm taller) after 2 tanks. Adding on the 3.3% for the larger diameter tyre for the speedo correction brings it back to about 14.5 LPHK, I knew that bigger wheels weren't going help with my economy but surprised it would be that much.

Ok an update on my fuel figures, 3 tanks ago I blocked my EGR and did an ECU reset at the same time, since then I'm back down to my original 13 LPHK from my 14.5 LPHK (after fitting the bigger wheels). Now I'm a fair bit happier about it but unsure whether it was the EGR or the ECU that has bought my figures back down, and if I had have done this before fitting my wheels would I have been averaging 11.5 LPHK? (I suppose I can always fit my standards back on and see what happens).

Also noticed like others there doesn't seem to be too much difference in fuel economy between highway and city driving.

Will be looking at upgrade of exhaust (and DPF delete) plus chip this year for sure.

Must be a D40 shell on a D22 truck cause there is no way a D40 could do all that :ha:

hey all
i am thinking of getting a 2010 nissan navar d40 king cab auto diesel, it has a steel tray and steel bull bar what diffrenece will that make with economy
cheers for ur help
fpvguy

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

There is no exact difference that adding anything will make but if you read through some of the threads with KC economy figures you'll see they are many and varied but you might also see similar fitted utes to the one you're thinking off which may give you some idea.

08 STX D40 Auto, easy 700km's per tank with air con flat out constantly...even with the windows down. imma lead foot to. havent bothed doing any maths im guessing that puts it at around 11L per 100 ? and generally i have 5 - 10 ltrs still in the fuel tank when i refuel so should be slightly under 11 per 100. Cars got 80k clicks on the dash so its well worn in.

08 STX D40 Auto, easy 700km's per tank with air con flat out constantly...even with the windows down. imma lead foot to. havent bothed doing any maths im guessing that puts it at around 11L per 100 ? and generally i have 5 - 10 ltrs still in the fuel tank when i refuel so should be slightly under 11 per 100. Cars got 80k clicks on the dash so its well worn in.

How much extra weight are you carrying Swarvacous - ie do you have bullbar, bash plates etc?

hey all
i am thinking of getting a 2010 nissan navar d40 king cab auto diesel, it has a steel tray and steel bull bar what diffrenece will that make with economy
cheers for ur help
fpvguy

I have 2009 King cab Auto, bigger tyres made a difference, carrying weight makes a bit of a difference and the tool boxes I have make it a fair bit worse too.
Worst i've had is 18l/100km, best (normal tyres, no boxes etc) is 13l/100km.

Mine is up for sale if you're interested, have a look in my garage, 35,000km inc all accessories $42,500

07 D40 with everything from ARB its about 10L on highway and 14L in town. towing caravan with boat on top i get about 450km a tank and from E to full is 66L in my truck. some days its good on fuel some day it love it.

Back