D40 AUTO fuel economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a D40 auto v6 petrol it is terrible on fuel i average just on 400ks to a tank and believe me i baby it on the pedal... any ideas?

there is lots of things that can effect economy, load, stop start traffic, tyreas, shocks, and heaps more maybe if you can give us a little more information we might have a better chance of throwing up some ideas.

The petrol version is not as economical as the diesel, either. However, for an unladen gently-driven petrol car you should be getting up to 530km to a tank.

There might be some confusion in here though, so let's try and figure it out more clearly.

When your fuel gauge shows the fuel warning light, your tank isn't actually empty - you could have 10 to 15 litres of fuel left in the tank! Mine comes on when I've got about 15 litres left - good for over 100km in my diesel. When the light comes on, I fill my tank and get around 65L into it.

The trick is to use your trip meter. When you fill your tank, ask for the receipt. When you get back in the car, write down the km shown on the trip meter (I also write down the total km as well). Put the receipt away, reset the trip meter and move on.

The fuel consumption rate is easy to work out:

litres added to tank divided by (kilometres travelled / 100)

In English, you divide the kilometres travelled by 100, then divide the litres by that figure.

As an example, here's an entry from my fuel spreadsheet:

Trip - 618.0
Litres - 68.15

LPHK = 68.15/(618/100) = 68.15/6.18 = 11.03LPHK

Don't forget, mine's a diesel so the figures are going to look better than yours, but the calculations are exactly the same.

Wish I could enter 618km into my log.... ha, maybe have to wait for a long trip.
Will be interesting to see how my next tank goes on my recently purchased larger tyres (+26mm diam).

I always wondered if I would be better off in a V6 petrol (much more grunt for not many less k's)

i have a D40 auto v6 petrol it is terrible on fuel i average just on 400ks to a tank and believe me i baby it on the pedal... any ideas?

Yep I fixed that problem.........by fitting a 160ltr tank.....get much further now:big_smile:

Attachments

• opposite_lock_160.JPG
    opposite_lock_160.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
hi my dual cab is all standard no canopy yet just ordered one yesterday...no big tyres no bull bar or nud bar.. have only had it about a mth both times that i have filled it ive got just on 400ks its terrible. but next time i fill it i will write it all down. i do reset the trip meter once filled. will get back to u on the next tank i put in... i have been told to put a big exhuast on or put a chip in? have spoke to people about hi clone and have been told not to waste my money..

hi my dual cab is all standard no canopy yet just ordered one yesterday...no big tyres no bull bar or nud bar.. have only had it about a mth both times that i have filled it ive got just on 400ks its terrible. but next time i fill it i will write it all down. i do reset the trip meter once filled. will get back to u on the next tank i put in... i have been told to put a big exhuast on or put a chip in? have spoke to people about hi clone and have been told not to waste my money..

Lisa - the 4.0ltr V6 is a stonking great donk and really 13.0 ltrs/100km is pretty good going for a V6 of this side mated up with an auto gearbox and what is essentially a mini truck. My 2.5 ltr auto diesel, admittedly probably much heavier than you ute with all the aftermarket gear on board, only maintains around 14 ltrs/100km....frankly I've stopped worrying about the fuel usage and just have to budget better.

Hi ive now done 50000km in my 08 diesal auto navara. I constantly get 10.5 litres per hundred. Thats traveling approx 30 km each day right through the city. On the open road i get about 9.6 up through the hills ,say to mannum or murray bridge but if i go up port wakefeild road over to yorks i can get as good as 8.6 lph. Thats not towing. When i tow my boat approx 1.3 ton i get around 14 per hundred over to yorks. Isnt to bad really considering the weight. I feel sorry for the ppl with the diesals that have problems etc it must be a real pain in the arse. Ive herd from two ppl that work at nissan of record off course that there is a ecu glitch that they cant work out, all things like trying the egr mod or removeing the dpf are a waste of time.One thing i have noticed that you cant drive these things like a falcon or commodoor, if you do exspect high fuel consumption. These cars arnt designed to first off at a set of lights,they are coasters that once up to speed slight throttle keeps them ticking along nicely. Im happy with my economy but reliability is another issue ive had a few issues to say the least. If you asked me if i will buy another one , no i wouldnt .

I don't know what chipping a petrol one will do. Chipping diesels gives more power, and if you use that wisely, it translates into more economy, but really a chip just helps pour more cash into the engine and out the exhaust.

A larger exhaust might help the thing breathe better but it's unlikely to miraculously give you a 5LPHK improvement. You might see it get better, but I'd be looking first at how much better it will likely be for the $ it's going to cost before I run in that direction.

You could always try what us diesel owners do - an ECU reset. The petrol model uses injectors that are controlled by the ECU so there's a possibility that this will work. Follow the steps, it's not hard to do:

1) Empty the vehicle and make sure you're not towing anything.

2) Note down the figure in your trip meter so you can keep this for when you next refuel.

3) Disconnect the black (negative) cable from the battery. It will be the one that DOES NOT have lots of fuses and crap attached to it.

4) Go into the cabin and press the brake pedal for a few seconds. You could even turn on the ignition to be sure. All you're trying to do in this step is consume the residual power in the ECU.

5) Making sure the car is turned off, reconnect the negative (black) battery lead securely and close the bonnet.

6) Take the vehicle for a gentle drive. Do NOT exceed 95km/h, but try not to sit in city traffic for long either. Try and head for a freeway or something.

After the gentle drive, turn the car off to save the ECU map. Now just drive the car to a servo, refill it and see how it goes. This is how we do it with diesels - no guarantee that it will work for petrol, but there's no harm in trying and the procedure will NOT damage the vehicle or its computer.

Brand new STX T/D Auto stock std.
From showroom to first fill 363Km 40 Litres @ 11.0 City driving only
Second fill 667 Km 69 Litres @ 10.3 Mix City, peakhour crawl & Highway
Combined 1030Km 109 Litres @ 10.6. Inbuilt fuel monitor showed average of 9.8 for same.
Low Fuel warning light came on after 662 Km from full. Gauge showing 1/8 at start of red zone. Took 69 Litres to fill so approx 10L remaining. 1000Km service on Monday so will see how we go after that.
Cheers....Phill

Brand new STX T/D Auto stock std.
From showroom to first fill 363Km 40 Litres @ 11.0 City driving only
Second fill 667 Km 69 Litres @ 10.3 Mix City, peakhour crawl & Highway
Combined 1030Km 109 Litres @ 10.6. Inbuilt fuel monitor showed average of 9.8 for same.
Low Fuel warning light came on after 662 Km from full. Gauge showing 1/8 at start of red zone. Took 69 Litres to fill so approx 10L remaining. 1000Km service on Monday so will see how we go after that.
Cheers....Phill

I can only dream of figure like those......you can see my fuel up profile over the life thus far of my D40 at Fuely.com..hope this link works. I do have a lot of extra weight though and for the most part tow a 1 tonne Kanga Campertrailer.

We got the figures yesterday morning for the Merriwa Run we did with on Saturday (but since I was up in Tamworth until 11pm last night I didn't get a chance to work stuff out).

Wasn't bad at all - 10.46LPHK. Included some climbing of the Liverpool Ranges, dirt road (fairly good to drive on, but not fast enough to lock the torque converter) and mostly highway in convoy. My tub was still full of our camping gear - we would have been a bit over the 2.5T mark.

I suggest everyone go and see Woody, he's good for fuel economy apparently.

My tank full before I got to Woody last Friday got me 10.4 lph but then I filled up 2 minutes from his work to head home I put 73 litres in it and since then I've done both highway driving and rural driving out to the farm and I filled up again last night putting 69 litres in and my fuel figures were 9.7lph. So from now on when I want my fuel figures to improve I'm just going to go and visit Woody.

Your a funny bugger Krafty one ...

That now means i'll ending spending every friday lunch time at the pub entertaining NAVARA drivers .... LOL

Hey I was just giving credit where credit is due, if the next tank is below 10 then I'll come back and tell everything it's all crap and you are no good luck charm as far as economy is concerned.

Just watch those D22 drivers Woody, it's one thing to entertain them over lunch but you'll get sick of having to tow them out of the carpark when they get stuck.

Hey I was just giving credit where credit is due, if the next tank is below 10 then I'll come back and tell everything it's all crap and you are no good luck charm as far as economy is concerned.

Just watch those D22 drivers Woody, it's one thing to entertain them over lunch but you'll get sick of having to tow them out of the carpark when they get stuck.

Krafty, I think Scotty was more concerned with trying to negotiate a quick shag (he inappropriately referred to this as a "speed hump", but Scotty we forgive ya mate). I have no doubt his D22 could negotiate car park obstacles, but I am fairly sure he couldn't finish having a shag before his V8-powered beast got out of there. If he did though, there's medication for that, so Scotty just check out the billboards in your local area, the number's on there.

Just trying to clear any confusion. Back to the normal program.

Has anyone got a chipit DPF race pipe and what the fuel economy like.

I am currently experimenting with results being:

Best - 14.3 L/100km with all the bar work on and 160 ltrs of fuel on. 3" dump fitted with hiflow Cat and DPF deleted. Best thing - the exhaust note. Worst thing - that bloody white diesel smoke!

Typical - Mid 15s with either combo - 3" dump and hiflow Cat and DPF in. or Factory dump/cat in and DPF deleted.

Bad - 16.3 with some sand driving (e.g. the border track) and a loaded ute - but mitigated by the highway driving there and back.

Worst ever 22.9 Mt Dare to Birdsville fully loaded and travelling at an average of 9.7 kph (3" dump fitted with hiflow Cat and DPF deleted).

Hey Bosshog, do you think the white smoke is due to the dpf deleted or something else?
I will be doing some mods in the near future eg dpf delete, exhaust and chip and want to get it right.
cheers

Arty

Latest posts

Back