D40 battery addition waterproof??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchwood

Reaction score
Ok, so ive had a look through the threads and cant quite find anything relevent to what im after.
I would like to know if the aux battery can be placed lower in the engine bay somewhere. I want to do this because I would like to retain all the sapce in the tray and Im a little concerned about what I put in the tray anyway because of the lack of security.
however, the issue I can see straight away with putting the battery lower in the engine bay is that if I go through a creek or something the terminals may short. So, my next question is can you get waterproof battery containers and how much are thay, and furthermore is there any gas discharge during charging that would then be unable to escape.

Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.
:feedback:

Someone makes a battery tray that mounts to the chassis rail from what I remember so it is possible but yes water could cause issues and I'm not sure the tray I remember seeing had provisions for decent modifications to waterproof it. The problem with sealing any sort of battery box is that if it's a lead acid battery it needs air circulation when charging, so it may not be practical to seal a box depending on your choice of battery.

My jet ski battery is fully sealed and ok to get wet, but it's half the size of my nab battery, maybe a boat shop will sell larger fully sealed versions

Hey, I have my second battery mounted under the tub, in a cradle i made up myself. The battery is an absorbed glass matt type and its fully sealed. Been in for about 2 years now never had any problems with it.
Cheers Glenn

Pirana offroad make a battery tray that mounts to the chassis rail underneath the drivers seat. Its solid and heavy. Its made to fit the Optima yellow top 10 inch battery. Its a sealed deep cycle maintenance free battery. It cost me around $340. I have both in my 09 STX. Hopefully i won't have to change it out anytime soon cause it will be bitch to take it out.

I wouldn't worry about submerging the battery. As long as you don't keep it deep underwater for an extended period, water is not going to get into the vents in the battery which even in a battery with individual caps are very small. The water pressure would have to be considerable.

If you're not using a canopy and need to find space to store the battery, shove it under the tub. There's oodles of room. The price is difficult maintenance - if it's not a "sealed" battery, you'll need to get to it to inspect it once every couple of months to check fluid levels and under the tub is going to get old fast - so try getting a "sealed" battery.

mines in a custom toolbox i have mounted behind the back window i dont know why these trucks have so much clutter under the bonnet, My mate just bought a brand new turbo diesel hilux sr5 and there is enough room to put 3 batteries under the bonnet'

i had my dual battery installed by ARB under the body mounted to the chassis and never had any issues with water im sure they wouldnt mount it there if there was gonna be a problem, s you should be right.

Back