D40 chewing excessive fuel?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bright Spark

Reaction score
G'day all,
Just throwing a quick question out there to see what fuell economy everyone is getting for there diesel d40s, I am getting around 500kms per tank and have been told this is poor economy.
Any thoughts on how to get it better or what would make it chew more fuel.
Cheers

Last edited:
There is a thread or 2 on here already with quite a few posts if u do a search,
i am getting arund 650 to 700kms out of 80 litres

There is a good thread (quite a big one) if you want to read it click here, with figures from all sorts of setups and driving styles.

Basically the D40 is capable of anywhere between 9LPHK up to about 25LPHK (driving, off-road it can double that in heavy, slow going). My own vehicle weighs several hundred kg more than standard - and it's an auto with a DPF fitted - and I've managed to get 10.6LPHK on a highway cycle. I've also gotten about 15.5LPHK towing the 1.8T caravan, and 17LPHK towing the thing at 125km/h up the Stuart Highway.

This translates to a range of 720km down to 260km from full-tank to fuel-warning, which is usually about 64-65 litres of fuel consumed.

Getting 500km from 65 litres (I am assuming you're talking about from a fill to when the light comes on) means you're getting about 13LPHK. That's not bad, I'd expect that to be light city travelling or towing a medium camper.

If you're getting 500km from a full (80L) tank around the city without towing - 16 LPHK - I'd be a little disappointed unless I was dragging the cars off at the lights, and then it's completely expected. 2 tonnes of steel, rubber and electric windows doesn't move without some effort!

Even without working 750ks from 140l I say it's ridicous (or ridiculous) too.

I did the 50ks from the farm to town on 7.4lph yesterday. I wasn't quite sitting on the edge of the seat praying to make it to the servo but I was desperate enough to feather the throttle the entire trip and hovered around the 85-90kph mark. However the trip did prove to me that I can start trusting scangauge again, when I refilled with 77.3 litres SG was telling I had 3.1 liters left.

I get 750km out of 140L longrang tank

Assuming that you're refilling when the fuel warning light comes on, that means you're using 140-15=125L of fuel which gives you a mileage of 125/(750/100) = 16.6LPHK.

If that's a petrol vehicle then it's absolutely expected.

If it's a diesel, it would be reasonable if either you LOVE racing Commodores and Falcons when the light goes green, or you're towing.

If that's a diesel and you're getting that driving around on a highway without towing and a light load then I'd say there's something seriously wrong.

Tell us a bit more about the rig, and about what kind of driving you do, to get that mileage - otherwise there are too many question marks.

Yes I think its Ridiculous $200.00 plus every 2 weeks
Its diesel Auto 2008 stx with aluminium tray
I drive abit hard but get the same mileage even towing my Windsor rapid pop top caravan.

Must admit a bit disappointed with my D40 as well, but am slowly getting used to it. The reason i bought the diesel was the illusion of better fuel economy from a 4 cyl diesel compared to the 6cyl petrol of my old commodore. But then one has to be a little realistic, a 2 ton navara with the aerodynamics of a loaf of bread is never going to be that flash. I get 11.5L/100k with 90% highway use and am yet to break 600k before the fuel light comes on. But with 90k on the clock the economy is improving all the time. When I first picked it up from new the economy was 12.9L/100k.

Our 2011 Stx diesel is returning around 9.5 lph around town, Previously we used to see around 14-16 lph in the Holden Epica and falcon on the same driving.

Highway driving I get around 8 lph and 10lph towing the lifestyle extenda fully loaded.

The other day I went for a drive and it's the first time for ages I have just got in the car and gone for a drive with no reason and in 400ks of highway/small town driving I returned 8.5 for the trip. I wasn't even driving it for economy, I was sitting at about 95 in the 100 zones and obviously less through the smaller towns and just enjoying the ride.

I have a 2006 STX auto.

I drive a mix of urban country driving,

I get from 10.4 - 13.4 l/100kms. average 11.4l/100kms.

no towing, bullbar, small toolbox 50kgs all the time.

I have just deleted the dpf because it was rooted. My economy is worse than ever 12.1.

Sometimes my ute gets great economy sometimes it's expensive - no ryhme or reason.

just did a trip downsouth WA got 405k to 46 litres on the way down, driving the 110k speed limit, i thought at around 11/100 that was pretty good, (way better than the honda crv we own)

on the way back i was cruisin at 125-130 and got similar, but judging by the fuel guage it will work out less

not maybe 100kgs in the back , me, wife and 3 kids in the front

Last edited:
I have long been an advocate of less right foot less fuel used but it's not entirely true under all circumstances. Obviously you are going to use more fuel at 130 than at 100 because the engine is revving harder and working a lot more to maintain those speeds, but with a real time fuel calculator if the driver is careful and watches the way they use the accelerator the difference between 97kph and 107kph does not have to be 3LPH (using the figures above for 110kph against my 95kph above as an example and not taking anything other than speed into consideration).

Most people don't even realise how their foot moves while driving, even the slightest of movement can change your real time economy by 2 or 3 LPH without much effort. This is even more evident when using a cruise control set up. Yet a driver who can limit the even slight movements of their foot (or control it better) can make more savings even at 110 than someone who just drives thinking their foot is not moving and they are driving steadily.

There is actually more to the story than this brief description but the basics are that even at 110KPH a D40 can maintain under 11LPH under most circumstance.

this could help....i was getting 12L and now getting about 9L by changing gears at low revs and making the turbo do the work...changing gears at high revs obviously chews fuel and destroy the clutch quicker...but u have auto -_- might help other manual drivers...

I have long been an advocate of less right foot less fuel used but it's not entirely true under all circumstances. Obviously you are going to use more fuel at 130 than at 100 because the engine is revving harder and working a lot more to maintain those speeds, but with a real time fuel calculator if the driver is careful and watches the way they use the accelerator the difference between 97kph and 107kph does not have to be 3LPH (using the figures above for 110kph against my 95kph above as an example and not taking anything other than speed into consideration).

Most people don't even realise how their foot moves while driving, even the slightest of movement can change your real time economy by 2 or 3 LPH without much effort. This is even more evident when using a cruise control set up. Yet a driver who can limit the even slight movements of their foot (or control it better) can make more savings even at 110 than someone who just drives thinking their foot is not moving and they are driving steadily.

There is actually more to the story than this brief description but the basics are that even at 110KPH a D40 can maintain under 11LPH under most circumstance.

Hey Krafty does the scangauge11 read and display real time fuel usage figures

Just completed a trip from Brisbane to Mackay and back 2198 Klm. Averaged 9.75 litres per 100klm, speed between 100 and 105 kph

John

Hi All
can anyone let me know if the figures quoted are with a roof rack. I cant get my D40 auto under 11.7 on the highway empty. I just returned from a camping trip towing a tinnie from Melb to yarrawonga and back and returned figures of 16l/100k.

Back