D40 common problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbt

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a d40 stx king cab and after getting stuck a few times in the sand i have done a 40mm lift and put on some bigger tyres and now she goes like a brute and i am quite keen to keep her for a few years and get a few adventures out of her. I have heard a few horror stories of simple things going wrong (timing chain, front diff, injectors etc...)which end up costing lots so would rather be proactive about things to try to avoid expensive problems.

So i would really like to know from people what the common problems with thai build d40's are, and if possible what the solution is?

Simple solution. Dont stress, and fix them WHEN they break. All part of the fun mate. You may strengthen these certain parts then bust them again first trip. The stock gear may last.

Ive got the same.had plenty of worries when i first started reading the forums.but like cobez said dont worry..they will take a flogging but not a thrashing.

Front diff - put a locker in it. Will also give your CV's a much easier time of things.

Timing chain - is not what I would call "common". Thousands upon thousands of D40's running around with no probs in that regard. If you wanted to spend the money, a double row conversion before anything goes wrong is the best prevention.

Injectors - can't say I've heard that is anything common.

Clutch would be by far the most common issue. Solid flywheel conversion with HD plate will fix that. Not sure whether thai have solid f/w from the factory or not.

Common - fit a catch can. Provent is the best. Stops the intercooler filling up with oil. And fit a hard pipe upgrade from the turbo to the intercooler. ebay is your friend.

Yep, i've got an 06' STX, original timing chain with over 155000 kms. No probs at all. Original front diff, injectors still all good!

Spend your cash on mods. Straight up, a catch can, EGR blanking plate, hard pipe upgrade, turbo back exhaust, lift and tyres. Im running all these, i dont regret spending the cash for a minute.

As cobez mentioned I wouldn't stress to much. As for being proactive- just the usual precautionary maintenance. Change oil and filter every 5,000 which is probably over kill but I do anyway. Perhaps synthetic oils for the diffs. Change fuel filter every 10,000. A water separator before the filter is probably not a bad idea. Perhaps even consider a Turbo back 3" exhaust, not for the performance but rather to lower EGT's. Make is breath easy.

I think a lot goes on the way you drive them. Keep in mind what the vehicle is. It's not your industrial grade 4by. Like a 70 something series Toyota or TD42 patrol, there not built as strong as them. You get what you pay for. The up side is there far nicer to drive.

Clutches have been a problem to but if your Thai built D40 is made after about August 2011 it will have a single mass flywheel clutch and much more durable.

And welcome to the forum mate there is friendly good blokes, heaps of info and tricks for your Nav here.

Spot on what Tappet said. I have owned a 5.7L SS ute and a 6.0L SS ute, an old Pathfinder and a 2002 HSV Senator, and i still swear black and blue, i love my STX more than any of those cars. Such nice things to drive with the right mods.

I also do the old skool service blocks. A major every 10,000kms and minor every 5000. (It really cant hurt!) I service the diffs and trans every 20,000 kms also. This forum is a gold mine of money saving information. Learn to do it all yourself and save ALOT of cash and take good care of your Nav. If you cant find your answers by searching this forum, put up a post, there are plenty if top blokes on here that are willing to help fellow Nav owners happily :)

As above. They don't have a lot of "common problems" - it does depend on how you drive it. Harder driving causes more strain and is going to break things.

One of the things that does break rather well when you drive hard is the front diff and if you're towing (or dragging off gorillas at the lights) your dual mass flywheel will cause your clutch to burn. If you DO do a lot of "more energetic" 4WDing a locker would be nearly mandatory (and will easily save you its cost). If the clutch gives out, look at a single mass flywheel and heavy duty Exedy clutch as a long-lasting replacement.

Otherwise, just take it out and enjoy it. Problems will occur, unis will give out, transfer case seals will leak, radiator cores will block, MAF sensors will fail - all of these things could happen to ANY car, so don't fear them.

Yep, i've got an 06' STX, original timing chain with over 155000 kms. No probs at all. Original front diff, injectors still all good!

Spend your cash on mods. Straight up, a catch can, EGR blanking plate, hard pipe upgrade, turbo back exhaust, lift and tyres. Im running all these, i dont regret spending the cash for a minute.

Yeah, that is pretty much what the plan was.... Plus adding some underbody sump protection to avoid punctures at some out of the way spot.

The hard pipe upgrade is for the intercooler i take it?

Yeah you cant go wrong with bash plates etc. Brown Davis have pretty good rep around here for their underbody protection.

Yeah the hard pipe is cooler to turbo. Reduces a bit of lag and improves response a bit etc

Back