D40 ECU Re-map

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domainmal

Reaction score
Has anyone had there truck's ECU re-mapped? Not just reset but actually re-mapped? I know they set the parameters in the computer so you get better and safer gains but compared to the chip performance I think I will be losing power and torque. The main reason I have been thinking of getting this done is to improve my fuel consumption, get that bit more power and finally get ride of the DPF cycle issue (not that I have white smoke anymore thanks to calibrating the sensors). I reset my ECU a few weeks ago and I'm still getting around 13-14ltrs/ 100km. I would like to find out real life stories not just sales man's happy customers..
Thanks
Mal

Not personally but heaps of guys on the U.K Navara site have had re-maps. I think the gains are usually better than chips as well.

Just watch out if you take it to a dealer afterwards and they set it back to factory spec.

Oh I didn't think of that. And now I'm thinking what will happen if I do a re set again? Or is that not how it works??
From what I've been told the remap won't give me the same as what I've got now in torque nor kw's. That's why I want to find out as much as I can before I go spending a heap to get less than what I've got if you know what I mean..

Is possible

Has anyone had there truck's ECU re-mapped? Not just reset but actually re-mapped? I know they set the parameters in the computer so you get better and safer gains but compared to the chip performance I think I will be losing power and torque. The main reason I have been thinking of getting this done is to improve my fuel consumption, get that bit more power and finally get ride of the DPF cycle issue (not that I have white smoke anymore thanks to calibrating the sensors). I reset my ECU a few weeks ago and I'm still getting around 13-14ltrs/ 100km. I would like to find out real life stories not just sales man's happy customers..
Thanks
Mal

Contact Wayne at POWERCHIP on 0418337189.
He tuned my V9x 3.0 STX.
Have a little read in the STX 550 section.
He can adjust what ever you request.

ourd40, I have a chipit. I don't have a problem with the chip, it works fine.

Joe, I had a bit of a read through that site. Thanks.
Now I may have this wrong but doesn't the chip override the ECU somewhat?

Now I am far from an expert and pleeeeze, I encourage anyone to correct me if I am wrong, but from my understanding, depending on the chip, it will either trick or bypass the ECU, with some doing both.

ourd40, I have a chipit. I don't have a problem with the chip, it works fine.

The Chip Modules only trick 1 of or all 3 of the following.
1-Rail pressure
2-Boost pressure
3-Injector timing

What about the other settings?

With ecu tuning/reflashing,you are modifying the appropriate tables to give you an increase.

Pedal ratio (cant adjust with chip,need a pedal box)
smoke table(cant adjust with chip)
torque limiters(driveline,fuel pump temp,transmission temp ect)(chip modules upset this ecu not happy)
injector timing
boost level
drivers wish(cant adjust with chip)

The smoke table is the important one.
The ecu has a preset table which only allows a certain amount of fuel to be injected at any time dependent on has much air is in combustion chamber.

This can be cheated by the EXTERNAL MODULE way but is not he answer.
Fuel rail sees low value so it bumps up fuel rail pressure and in turn injects more fuel.
Ecu doesnt like this as less O2 is coming out of the exhaust.
This is why alot of people have varying experiences with these types of modules.

What everyone forgets is that the ecu's in todays vehicles are very smart.
Have a great deal of parameters.
Do provide great power gains.
Will protect the engine and drive-train.

People are spending $1000-$2000 dollars on the well known chip modules and they cant even turn off the regen cycle or the egr.

The ecu tune is $1690 without a dyno.

You can go to nissan for warranty and no one will ever know.

Last edited:
The Chip Modules only trick 1 of or all 3 of the following.
1-Rail pressure
2-Boost pressure
3-Injector timing

What about the other settings?

With ecu tuning/reflashing,you are modifying the appropriate tables to give you an increase.

Pedal ratio (cant adjust with chip,need a pedal box)
smoke table(cant adjust with chip)
torque limiters(driveline,fuel pump temp,transmission temp ect)(chip modules upset this ecu not happy)
injector timing
boost level
drivers wish(cant adjust with chip)

The smoke table is the important one.
The ecu has a preset table which only allows a certain amount of fuel to be injected at any time dependent on has much air is in combustion chamber.

This can be cheated by the EXTERNAL MODULE way but is not he answer.
Fuel rail sees low value so it bumps up fuel rail pressure and in turn injects more fuel.
Ecu doesnt like this as less O2 is coming out of the exhaust.
This is why alot of people have varying experiences with these types of modules.

What everyone forgets is that the ecu's in todays vehicles are very smart.
Have a great deal of parameters.
Do provide great power gains.
Will protect the engine and drive-train.

People are spending $1000-$2000 dollars on the well known chip modules and they cant even turn off the regen cycle or the egr.

The ecu tune is $1690 without a dyno.

You can go to nissan for warranty and no one will ever know.

That makes sense. I thought that the ecu had settings and that the chip would enhance some of those settings. But trick sounds like the better work. Now why can't the ecu be remapped to a point and then put the chip back on? Or is that too dangerous?

yes

Can Nissan reflash the computer at a service back to factory settings?

Yes and if they do POWERCHIP will reflash your ecu.
But for what reason would they do this.
EGR update maybe.
Whats easier.
Removing your module every time you go for a service.
Or and/if they reflash for some reason you contact POWERCHIP and he will reflash your ecu.

Last edited:
OK

That makes sense. I thought that the ecu had settings and that the chip would enhance some of those settings. But trick sounds like the better work. Now why can't the ecu be remapped to a point and then put the chip back on? Or is that too dangerous?

Why don't hi performance racing teams just add chip modules to their cars?

Chip modules were available for the commodores and falcons early on ,then they SCT software came out and the ecu could be fully programmed.

Check the CHIPIT website.
What has happened to them?

I've been down the chip module path before.

Why would you reprogramme the ecu then add a chip module?

I'm sure you all know about high EGT's.

Not really a big fan of either approach. A 2.5l engine pumping out 140Kw is stressed enough as is without putting to much on top so to speak. However if I was to go down that road it would be the re-map for sure. There is just so many more parameters you can change and still keep some safeguards built in.

Better bet- Go the nuts and bolts side, more efficient more free flowing induction and exhaust.

Why don't hi performance racing teams just add chip modules to their cars?

Chip modules were available for the commodores and falcons early on ,then they SCT software came out and the ecu could be fully programmed.

Check the CHIPIT website.
What has happened to them?

I've been down the chip module path before.

Why would you reprogramme the ecu then add a chip module?

I'm sure you all know about high EGT's.

Yes I know the EGT's are high, all D40's have the same issue.
I was just thinking that I could get the most out of the remap and then put the chip back on to give me more.. But that's just my way of thinking.

The only thing that is bugging me is that fact that I spent money to get the chip and I'm getting good torque out of it, and then spend more money to get less. Yes it sounds like the remap is safer and can give me more options to change but it won't give me what I have (from what I've been told).
There are 2 companies in Perth that do it now and I have only spoken to one of them. I'll try and ring the other guys this week and get their take on what they do.

Have a read

Yes I know the EGT's are high, all D40's have the same issue.
I was just thinking that I could get the most out of the remap and then put the chip back on to give me more.. But that's just my way of thinking.

The only thing that is bugging me is that fact that I spent money to get the chip and I'm getting good torque out of it, and then spend more money to get less. Yes it sounds like the remap is safer and can give me more options to change but it won't give me what I have (from what I've been told).
There are 2 companies in Perth that do it now and I have only spoken to one of them. I'll try and ring the other guys this week and get their take on what they do.

Now my basis is on my current vehicle a V6 v9x diesel, heavily modded.

I had the previous 2.5,also heavily modded.

All diesels have high egt issue's not just Navaras.

With the chip you can only add a maximum of 4 psi if your lucky before engine light comes on.

So say we add 10% extra fuel and the extra 4psi with our chip.Our AFR reading might be around the 16:1.
This ok and not to dangerous.Power say might increase 15RWKW.
EGT's not bad but want more power.Remember that 95% of the diesels these days are 18:1 AFR from factory.
We now can't add extra fuel safely without extra boost because engine light will come on when extra boost is added.
So do we leave it or tip in some more fuel,run AFR's 14:1,15:1 and have a smokey exhaust and dangerously high egt's.
Your choice.
Mind you the pump is working super hard now as well as the suction valve trying to maintain pressures it was never really designed for.
ECU has temp sensor in fuel pump and pulls back once temps go over 83DegC.
Smoke table seeing a shit load more fuel in exhaust.
Driveline torque limiters seeing crazy readings.
All good and said but how long will it last.

MY LAST D40 2.5 MANUAL 2010 THAI BUILD HAD ALL THE EXTRAS NEEDED TO MAKE MORE POWER.
SURE IT DID BUT NOT RELIABLY.
ENDED UP MELTING THE ENDS ON THE TURBO IMPELLER 2 TIMES.
WHICH RESULTED IN POWER LOSS.
FIRST TIME WAS AN EXPENSIVE FIX UNTIL WE FOUND PROBLEM.
SECOND TIME KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS.

EVEN HAD THE EGT TEMP SENSOR ALL FITTED UP TO MONITOR HIGH TEMPS.

IN THE END STRIP ALL MODS WHILE IT ACTUALLY STILL RAN PROPERLY, SOLD HER AND BOUGHT MYSELF A V6 V9X AND THIS TIME DID IT THE CORRECT WAY.

Hi Folks

And hello again Mal. Good to hear your DPF sensors are still performing as i intended. Yes you can have your ECU remapped. I've got the gear to do it and have already done the silver STX you would have seen when you came to my dad's shop to get you sensors recalibrated.

I do remember driving your car and have to admit yours was one of the best outright power D40's i've driven. However i do remember the power being slightly delayed in coming in hard. You can certainly improve this with a tune as i can adjust virtually everything in the ECU where the chip only tricks a few values. One of the biggest things that make the D40 feel abit "laggy" is the torque limiter settings in the ECU. You can adjust these valuves which brings the power on sooner and smoother.

Tunes normally vary from from chasing economy, outright power tunes or a mix of both.

Nowdays The DPF and the EGR fuctions can be completely turned off with the software.

Latest posts

Back