D40 embarrassing a hilux

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathand22

Reaction score
hi guys, just thought i might tell you about my afternoon.
i took my cousin who has a 08 hilux with 2inch lift out to some trails in my local area today.
one of the tracks leads into quite a steep and very rocky gully, with a small creek at the bottom. i had done this track about 12months ago in my old d22, but since then we have had heaps of rain which has taken its toll on the track and caused allot of erosion.
so we get to work on some track building and figuring out what line we will take.
my cousin then jumps in the hilux and heads for the steep first section. where we had placed some rocks. well basically thats as far as he got. the more he tried to get himself out of the crap the deeper he got. eventually ending up sitting on the rear diff.
this is the bit i liked because i was able to drive around the hill end enter from the top. after a little bagging i got the winch out and pulled the hilux to a spot that we thought he would be able make it the rest of the way.
i then was left to do either a 60 point turn on a narrow tree lined hill track, or give it a go in reverse. i chose the second option just to see what would happen. to my surprise and my hilux owning relo i mad it to the top. after a lot of fuss, forward, backwards and a heap of wheel spin so did the hilux .
now it was my turn to circle back around and have a go from the bottom and facing forwards. now after seeing the hilux i had pretty much admitted to my self that i to would be winching my self over at least the steep rocky bottom section.
any way i pop it into 1st low and give it some right foot...... sailing striate past my jaw dropping eye popping hilux driving relo to the top with out much fuss at all. again after plenty of "how good did the navara go " statements from me, my cousin decided that i drove a different line to him and that was the reason i had mad it, and decided that he would have a second crack at it.
back down i go for more rock carting and smart ass comments.
the hilux attacks the hill only to stuff it up again... finally leaving his tailgate very close to a tree, and now way of going anywhere without the NAVARA'S help....
back down i go and winch him out. in two goes this time as he had gone half the distance of his first go. unhook the winch and up in reverse i go again.
the hilux again follows the nav up an again with much wheel spin and a few swear words it eventually made it to the top.
some more, well plenty more shit stirring and it was time to go.
anyway that is it. just thought i would share that story as the D40 really surprised me today and i thought you guys might like to hear how it went up against the good old hilux.....:cheers!:

Ha! That's gold! i know someone that says "you took a different line" too, when i 've sailed past where they've had troubles.

Makes you wonder how easy a D22 would have done it.:sarcastic:

Haha, pwned.

For similar vehicles, that's a lot of difference. What tyres did the Hilux have?

dion the hilux has cooper a/t 265 70 17's and was running the same pressure as me, about 22psi
the difference was amazing and even suprised me but made me a very proud navara owner hahaha. it did however give my cousin the shits........ tooooo funny

Nathan .... tyres would have a played a big difference - and also driver ability too.

How were the vehicles loaded, very similar weight ?

tyres were probably the only difference, thats what i said to my cousin after the mocking had finished. we both had empty tray's.
as much as it would be nice to say i drove that better, im not sure about being any real difference in the way we drove this particular line of the track, as there was only one real way you could approach it. he also seemed to have roughly the same speed and revs. so i think it did come down to a tyre thing. fun all the same to keep ribbing my relo "about that time the hilux got stuck" hahaha im sure there will come a time and probably soon were he can have a similar story about me. until the i will be rubbing it in.:hahaha:

I agree the tyres are not the point of the story. Great to see another Navara beating a hilux.

well Nathan ... enjoy it while you can ... just the same way i enjoy picking on Scottybobcat when i have to recover his V8 navara from a bog hole with my humble 2.5lTD ...

mind you, its usually a setup with him going gun ho, knowing i'm there to get him out of trouble when it all goes pear shaped.

Good on you Nathan.........don't worry about the tyre and other technical crap........you stuck it up a Toyota and that's all that matters.

Don't ever let a chance go by.....

yep i dont want to let a opportunity for a good shit stir go. im surrounded by hilux owners at the moment and they do like to remind me that im in the wrong ute....so yesterday was a perfect comeback. the nissan did all the talking :sarcastic:

The nav has done it again, but this time it rubbed it into the noses of three Hilux's, a "07", "08" and my wife's old 95 solid axle believe it or not.

So here is how it went. We went camping down the south coast about half an hr from Nowra at Yalwal. On the Saturday we decided to do the "Monkey Gum Fire Trail". This trail has a few challenging hill sections with allot of switch backs, lots of "puddles" if you can call them that, more like small dams.
Anyway by the end of the track which took us about 7hrs including a stop for lunch the woops im stuck again total was, Hilux 5, NAVARA NILL!!
The two new Hilux's found out they don't float and ended up with a tide line up to the top of the speakers and bottom of the console. Actually they must be slow learners the Toyota drivers because it took them two drowning attempts to really get it in there heads. Each time the NAVARA TOWED THERE SORRY STINKING WET ASSES OUT. As much as i hate to say it the old Hilux killed it really even with my misses driving, but with the 31's she still got hung up in one of the bog holes.
As you can imagine i took no pleasure what so ever in any of these tragic events, and not once did i mention that the NAV had made it and that the NAV would tow them out yet AGAIN. :party:

Once we got home it was time to gut the two luxes, rip out the carpets and break out the high pressure washes. The stank was unbelievable!! thank f#@@ i didnt have to drive in that stench!!

I did suffer one casualty and that was to my wife's rear diff. The pinion seal went and it spun a bearing in the prosses, the bloody thing sounded like a Sydney taxi!! so half a day later & $500 i was off home to do the diff change. BLOODY Toyata's

At the end of the trip the Nav had cleared "Monkey gum" totally unscathed. Very happy with how it went. With all the talk of how shit the D40 is as a 4x4, i just dont see it. It really performed well again, every time i go wheeling in it it gets me to where i want to be and 99% of the time it is doing it easier then the Hilux's im travelling with. Both Hilux's have the same lift as mine and one of the swimmers had new wrangler muddies, the rest of us have A/T's

Cant wait to get the auto lokka fitted!!

anyway thats enough jabber from me.
Nathan

Last edited:
thought i would throw up a pic of the TOYOYA submarine
83be1dbb.jpg
[/IMG]
The Hilux drivers dont seem to like my sticker on the back window
141ee2ad.jpg
[/IMG]
aec20666.jpg
[/IMG]

this was the second sub! and it was the second time this one got stuck, but for some reason i was not allowed to tow it for the second time.....

32f91603.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
just a little air under the tyre

f31934fd.jpg
[/IMG]
this is a section of the Monkey gum fire trail at YALWAL
fff38970.jpg
[/IMG]
391098_10150398701753190_565163189_8333454_782583484_n.jpg
[/IMG]
987a7001.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
The wife complained that there was no photos of her and the hilux. So i thought i would put some up to keep the peace. Not as though that will ever happen.
3612d09f.jpg
[/IMG]

cant help myself....... here it is stuck....... like the rest of the Toyota's that day
adf24a29.jpg
[/IMG]
f65fd612.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
The view from the top

Once you reach the top of the Monkey Gum Fire Trial you will see an old wooden ladder leaning against the rock on the right side of the track, and this is the view from the top
2370083b.jpg
[/IMG]
3c118f5f.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Nathan - great stuff mate. Well done on the recoveries and helping with the clean up - what a guy!!!:big_smile:

Love the articulation on the solid axle - throw some bigger tyres on and the wife will be able to keep up with the Nav.

Latest posts

Back