D40 front diff clunk

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG88

Reaction score
Hey all

As of the last week I've been getting a really loud banging and grinding from the front end. I had it up on the hoist today and couldn't see anything physically wrong. So it making me think maybe the CV's have sheared inside the front diff. The vibration is also causing the ABS light to come on.

Has anyone else had this problem? Mine is a 07 auto stx.

Cheers
Matt

Universals looked fine. My mechanic and myself had a good look this morning and it's got him stumped aswel.

If the CVs have sheared then when both front wheels are off the ground with the vehicle in 2WD mode, turning one wheel forward will NOT make the other wheel turn backwards (open diff). That's the first thing to check, although I suspect bearings over CVs. Bearing issues can affect the teeth in the ABS gear (debris/muck entering them, or misaligning the sensor). Check the vertical rocking movement in the wheel. For those readers who want to know what that means: if you jack up a front wheel and sit on the ground beside it, you can grasp the tyre at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and pull-push back and forward to test the tie rod ends. You can also grasp the tyre at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and test the bearings. It shouldn't move!

Thanks tony. I've left it at my mechanics and we are going to tackle it on Monday. Thanks for the quick replies

Turns out you were right tony. Bearings were shot. Relieved it wasn't a issue with the diff

I just realized I posted this in the wrong section also.

Beat me to it, Before reading the answer i was typing wheel bearing then looked up and started to delete my response. lol

My 2010 D40 did the same thing, when the bearing goes they get so hot the eat the ABS sensor and throw the abs light up on the dash, which as it turns out is also a wheel bearing malfunction light,, haha

Back