D40 Fuel Economy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done the calculations and for me it was going to take years to recoup the costs of a long range tank based on my own trips and the extensive records my old man has kept when traveling the entire country in his Pathy filling up at some of those remote places you refer too.

Hello All,
Been lurking for a while and busy reading through the forum.
One thing i noticed, was when people say it's an auto they rarely mention the year model.
< 2009 4 speed auto
2010> 5 speed auto
Is that correct?
I was curious because that would/could affect the optimum highway speed of 100km/h or 2000rpm that I've been reading.

I can't remember if there was a change in the gear box between series, I know the 550 has a seven speed, but I thought as far back as 09 it was a 5 speed, but I've been wrong before I could be wrong again.

While newer boxes will have a bearing on economy there is also many other factors that would come into it. The newer 140Kw motor is in general more economical than the 126Kw motor from the 09 series, it's just the way advancements work and advancements in gearboxes would also be made for better economy.

Dazza
i just done trip to Deni ute muster averaged 13.5 ltrs /100kms 2007 D40 stx auto with a steel tray, bullbar, 265x 75 x16 tyres have removed pdf and fitted chipit race pipe and snorkle this was loaded i was gettin around 15ltrs/100km standard empty.

Ozzie

Hello All,
Been lurking for a while and busy reading through the forum.
One thing i noticed, was when people say it's an auto they rarely mention the year model.
< 2009 4 speed auto
2010> 5 speed auto
Is that correct?
I was curious because that would/could affect the optimum highway speed of 100km/h or 2000rpm that I've been reading.

Nope not correct....my 2008 D40 is a 5 speed auto

Dazza
i just done trip to Deni ute muster averaged 13.5 ltrs /100kms 2007 D40 stx auto with a steel tray, bullbar, 265x 75 x16 tyres have removed pdf and fitted chipit race pipe and snorkle this was loaded i was gettin around 15ltrs/100km standard empty.

Ozzie

mmmmmmmmmmm I've been thinking of doing the DPF delete and chip thing but if that is the fuel consumption then I might just have a rethink. I put a EGR blanking plate in and my fuel consumption is now averaging 13LPH around town and I just towed my 1.4 tonne camper Queanbeyan to Mallacoota and return via Bombala and Cann River....(read some big hills here folks)....I returned 15LPH for the trip down and 16.5LPH for the trip back up the mountain. Prior to fitting the EGR blanking plate I would've been into the high 17s at least.

I just towed my 1.4 tonne camper Queanbeyan to Mallacoota and return via Bombala and Cann River....(read some big hills here folks)....I returned 15LPH for the trip down and 16.5LPH for the trip back up the mountain.

I can vouch for those hills, used to travel them quite often. With a van on the back that is some impressive figures for those hills. I don't think I'd be looking at doing to many mods if you can drag a van through those hills and come out with figures like that.

My 09 STX auto is a 5-speed with a torque converter lock function that binds the engine output to the gearbox input shaft under the following conditions:

* Vehicle speed > 75km/h
* Engine load < 70%
* Throttle position < 50%
* Gear selector in the "D" position
* Overdrive switch in the "ON" position (O/D Off indicator in dash is not lit)
* TCM has chosen 5th gear

Well after getting 24lt per 100ks towing the van, next tank was the same consumption. Driving along real peed off, contemplating whether to sell the D40 when I get home or just retire it as the towing vehicle, despite it having no other primary purpose.

Then hallelujah, it slips into overdrive & the consumption plummets. I have since had the consumption down to 16.6lt per 100ks towing the van & I think if conditions were more favourable, it could be better still.

As others have said, as the revs increase, consumption skyrockets. I have found that even when speed can't be maintained in overdrive, to hang on as long as possible before alowing it to kick back, increase speed as quickly as reasonably possible & then back off to bring it back into overdrive & again, try to hang on as long as possible in overdrive. I must say though it is bloody hard work although when conditions are more favourable, it will happily stay in overdrive without mucking around.

Anyway it's all good in theory & I just hope that next time I get all emotional about this crap, somebody bitch slaps me. :big_smile:

You're right it can be hard work driving for economy and not just driving but once you get used to it it becomes second nature. As much as I've always been conservative adding the scangauge has shown me just how many times I don't need to keep my foot down on the loud pedal but still maintain a speed.

I've been returning mid to high 9's around Perth at the moment and it doesn't matter whether it's peak traffic or empty roads. Perth is a great place to learn to drive economical because there is so little traffic, however watching the scangauge while sitting at 80 along the highway (maintaining traffic speed not the speed limit) it's so easy to have your foot in a position where SG reads 10's and higher yet lifting the foot just a fraction still maintains speed but drops the LPH back below 9's.

Driving for economy is all about watching everything available to you not just the revs, we still all drive differently and everyone's Nav is different but most people can improve their fuel figures if they want to by changing the way the drive.

We had our worst economy on the way to the muster. Hauling a heavier-than-usual load up the Great Dividing Range with a headwind of at least 60km/h coming DOWN the hill we were fighting it the whole way. Used just over 25LPHK for the trip up, we couldn't even make Gilgandra on a tank - I had to refuel at Dunedoo.

I'm glad I didn't try to refuel at Mendooran - didn't look like there was a lot of call for fuel there, Mendooran is a tiny town and there's no telling how old the fuel was.

The return trip was (understandably) much better, even allowing for the low-speed mud play with a 2T trailer loaded with firewood.

I must say I feel a bit better, now knowing that I don't have the all time fuel consumption record (sorry Tony).

It is amasing what a variation there can be depending on conditions.

I have to listen to the wife blowing down my ear how much more economical her _ _ _ _ing Pajero is.

I was able to tell her yesterday that her dear _ _ _ _ing Pajero has never been as low as 16.6lphk towing the current van. Then she reminded me that I never towed so slow with her car. Bugger!

My all time worst economy was 276 LPH or something. I was playing with the SG and forgot to reset the tank size so of course the LPH and average calcs went out the window because despite the ECU knowing how much fuel was being used by the time it calculated all the figures on a 15 litre tank it as a 400% error.

I made an error with an imput on the SC on the way up to the muster - and SC was telling me that i was using about 24 l / 100. The reality was obviously much less. probably more like 16 to 18 l / 100.

On the way way back i very carefully filled the tank to the full - then drove as carefully as i could all the way home (i believe i was abou 4.5t car and trailer). SC was telling me that i was doing about 16 l/100, when in fact I achieved 14 l/ 100 for the 900 km home stretch.

My actual figures are in. I forgot when I calculated the figures before in my head that I had to allow for a 2% larger tyre. Now that I've allowed for that, my figures going up the mountain were 24.68LPHK (strong headwind) and coming back 18.27LPHK. Generally we weigh something like 4.3T combined, although I'm fairly sure we were a couple of hundred kilos heavier this trip with the extra stuff on board.

I know they are only short trip figures but last night I drove into Perth and back again (about 25ks each way) and at highway speeds returned 7.6LPH in bound and 8.1LPH outbound. I don't know if my ute's finally hit that "magical" (or maybe mythical) loosen up figure but if it has I'm liking it, if not I wish I could get city figures like that in Melbourne,

Two tanks used during our stay here according to SG have been have been 9.1LPH and 9.4LPH.

Queanbeyan to Nowra via Federal, Hume Highways and then through Kangaroo Valley approx 230 km.......returned 11.8L/100km. This is a first for me post fitting the EGR blanking plate on this run - previously it was always around the 14 mark.

But this good news was crapped on by contaminated fuel....see separate post.

Latest posts

Back