D40 Gearbox Mount nut rounded.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza63

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place to post apologies if not. I have to replace my mount on gearbox but I can get two of the three nuts loosened but one was rounded off before I began pretty badly, Im sure you know its up in the cross member so access near impossible. But any Ideas on how to remove it I only tried once to undo it couldnt so I left it but it is rounded pretty badly.
Any ideas at al I bouhgt a deep Lock On socket it didnt work I habe heard of extractor sockets but cant find the deep tube sockets in QLD any where again if you know of places in Australia where I can get them please let me know. I dont have access to oxy so Im thinking im doomed.
Thanks for any ideas.
Stay safe all

I live in a country town and when I have a problem with my vehicle(s) that stops me taking the vehicle to the mechanic, they're happy to drive out and take a look. They bring all sorts of stuff with them. Do you have anyone like that to call, and just get them to remove that bolt?

Failing that, drilling into the bolt head and using an Ezy-out might be required?

I'm not familiar with that nut, or the bolt that goes into it, (and I don't feel like crawling under mine to look at it) but, if nothing else works, would it be feasible to remove the head of the bolt and replace it and the nut afterwards? Assuming a disc grinder won't get to it, another way to remove the head is to drill a hole into it and then knock it off with a hammer and cold chisel.

if you get a lock on stud remover try a little heat on head of bolt with oxy to try and soften the loctite,, and use a rattle gun ,,had to do this on bottom bolts of rear shockers on my np300,, i rounded off one nut before i tried the heat spanner

i feel your pain. i recently replaced my gearbox mount, and it was a pain in the arse, as the chassis tapers in and it's hard to get a socket on square. i eventually got it with a combination of sockets and rattle gun. then had to use a lump hammer, cold chisel and crow bar to prise the cross member out of it's slot.
good luck, it was a mission!

I live in a country town and when I have a problem with my vehicle(s) that stops me taking the vehicle to the mechanic, they're happy to drive out and take a look. They bring all sorts of stuff with them. Do you have anyone like that to call, and just get them to remove that bolt?

Failing that, drilling into the bolt head and using an Ezy-out might be required?

Thanks folks all info greatly appreciated, ericcs is on the ball will be a mongrel but Ill try and see how I go and let you know again many thanks for the replies stay safe all.....Ill update when I can.

I suggest finding a nut that can be held/jammed over the rounded head. Fill the nut hole with a weld to the old rounded nut. This will provide the necessary heat and also provide a sound head to apply a socket to. I have had too much heartache with broken ezi outs to ever recommend them.

Try a 6 point socket,

And as you are replaceing the mount you can try to impact gun it tight, that MAY break the stud from the mount, allowing it to fall out, ( trust me this wont hurt the transmission)

This is why i had to replace my mount after the transmission place replaced my clutch, and the mount that had failed ........

never give an impact gun to the apprentice, they fuck everything

Last resort is to find a second hand cross member which will allow you to chop a big slot in the existing one.

Errics I know fully understand what your talking about that would be the tightest crossmember I have ever tried to get off. But I beat it in the end a crow bar and a bloody big hammer when I put it back in I cleaned all the surfaces and put a bit lube on it to help go back in no worries. I thank you all so much for your help and info. I have taken a couple of photos not the best sorry but hopefully give you an idea of what my issue was and how I got it off. The rounded nut was up inside the crossmember the only way I could get the old mount off was to pull off crossmember and cut the top of the old mount off and then grind down the mount and punch out the stud with the stripped nut on it, yes a saga but I did myself and cost me a bit of sweat and blood and quite a few naughty words but that job is now done.
Keep the rubber on the ground and be safe to all.
Once more time thank you all for your help always greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_084941.jpg
    IMG_20210820_084941.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210820_084953.jpg
    IMG_20210820_084953.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20210820_085007.jpg
    IMG_20210820_085007.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210820_100932.jpg
    IMG_20210820_100932.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20210820_100948.jpg
    IMG_20210820_100948.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20
Sorry mate no no one like that here in Brisvegas too high and mighty as you say country folk are different people than the city folks not to upset anyone but they are....

Latest posts

Back