D40 Intercooler service

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conman D40

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Just wondering if anyone has had there intercooler serviced and clean, and how often it needs to be done?

Hi Conman,
Intercoolers dont realy need servicing as such, but it will never hurt the cooler on engine to remove the cooler and give it a good hose out with some soapy water and a rinse. Both inside and out.

I have used a hose with a nozzle, You can use a high pressure washer but be careful not to bend over the fins as this will take some time to realign the fins.

Before cleaning check for a oily film on the out side of cooler as this will show up a crack in cooler. I have seen some small holes in coolers to let out what ever oil the turbocharger may by-pass. I dont know if Navara's have this type of tell tale hole.

Hope this helps.

VBSteve

Make sure you get all the water out of the cooler though.

Only takes a teaspoon of water to bend a rod.

I reckon in a Direct injection motor it would take more, as the piston's have combustion chambers.

Clean it out once, put in a catch can as you reassemble the IC, and after that you'll never have to do IC cleaning again.

+1 on the catch can. You will probably need to maintain the catch can, but if it's done right you won't need to worry about the oil (from blow-by piped into the intake) getting into the intercooler again.

When I finally finish my catch can I'll remove my intercooler and wash it out with unleaded fuel, not water. Our engines don't run the compression ratio that would cause too many problems with a drop or two of water (and being ingested through the airway means it won't affect the injectors) but it's still a concern. Using a volatile solvent means it'll evaporate on its own and a little unleaded won't kill or harm the diesel anyway.

Latest posts

Back