D40 money sucking piece of shit

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember right the V6 diesel has the turbo in the middle of the V. Which is a terrible place for it. A nice heat shield and a bonnet scoop would fix that right up though.

I'll have to check out my mates V6 and check out where the turbo is.

on the thread... this has been one piss funny read! i bought my 2012 ST auto knowing damn well what the clutches were like. even the sales rep at highway Nissan (before they changed to Subaru) told me not to get a manual when I said I'd be towing a 2T boat regularly. mine has had it's little problems, but all in all, a very good ute and I'll definitely be getting another... maybe the V6 next time, those things haul ass!!

I drove to Kempsey today to pick up my new STX. Got to Taree and Nav overheated. Could see temp starting to climb so put on hazards and slowed up till I could safely pull over as was towing a scissor lift. To cut a long story short my 08 STX was to be traded for 19k ended up getting 4k. Motor absolutely shit itself blown head, radiator, transmission you name it. Day from hell for me. Hopefully new Nav will last longer. Love the power of the v6. Not happy Jan!!

Ouch......that stings. Sorry to hear.

I drove to Kempsey today to pick up my new STX. Got to Taree and Nav overheated. Could see temp starting to climb so put on hazards and slowed up till I could safely pull over as was towing a scissor lift. To cut a long story short my 08 STX was to be traded for 19k ended up getting 4k. Motor absolutely shit itself blown head, radiator, transmission you name it. Day from hell for me. Hopefully new Nav will last longer. Love the power of the v6. Not happy Jan!!

When I picked up my new V6 STX they told me not to tow or put it into low for the first 1000km. I waited till 3000km and hooked the van on and went to nundle 4wdin for the weekend with other forum members and it never missed a beat.

Well - blew my diff at Xmas, put a locker in $2900.

Now the second clutch is GONE at 87,000 k's.

Im fixing it up. Now ordered a hilux, delivered in 7 weeks. Going up for sale and WILL NEVER touch a nissan aghain in my life - it has sucked $8,100 in maintenance now in 12 months, between computer to fix idel problems, repairs, diff and clutch.....

How can Nissan even sell such a failed product ?

Except for the ecu, broken diff and two clutches in a short period sounds more like driver fault to me.

Yeah but every product is the same, from frypans to battery chargers, from toilet seats to cars there is always going to be some who bag out a product and some that think the same product is the be all and end all of everything and nothing can compare.

Mmmm. I've been meaning to talk to someone about my toilet seat.

Not happy Jan (whoever Jan is??)

Except for the ecu, broken diff and two clutches in a short period sounds more like driver fault to me.

See thats the reoccurring pattern on the hilux forum as well, you get someone who claims they are the mechanic for a fleet of 40 hilux's in some remote place that never had major issues and then you get someone come on who claims the car is the biggest piece of shit... I still believe both Toyota and Nissan make very high quality product just some things seem a bit strange. mind you the guys on new hilux could use some education on the problems with the ZD30, pretty much anything patrol or navara in 3.0 will grenade as far as they are concerned.

you get someone who claims they are the mechanic for a fleet of 40 hilux's

Where did you find that much experience, most of the ones I see are "my mate is a mechanic who's seen 5 Navaras this week all with XYZ problem and Nissan refuse to fix it." Then the mining reference comes out, "My mate drives a Lux in the mines, the mines wouldn't buy then if they weren't strong."

I love my navara, never had an issue, only cost are things ive thrown on it to boost power and safety.. guess it seem ironic ive paired those two together.
I personally wouldn't buy a new 4x4, we just dont get the fuel quality that common rail requires.
plus this might stir the nest but cars these days are built to fail and built to be "UN-servicable" by the local garage mechanic.

when the zd30 kicks it, i just rebuild the thing, love the simplicity of mechanical injection, a hand full of basic sensors, standard turbo, clutch.
KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Last edited:
Where did you find that much experience, most of the ones I see are "my mate is a mechanic who's seen 5 Navaras this week all with XYZ problem and Nissan refuse to fix it." Then the mining reference comes out, "My mate drives a Lux in the mines, the mines wouldn't buy then if they weren't strong."
A thread on new hilux, I posted it a while back over here when a guy had hooked up petrol injection with a chip it chip to his 1KD the thing went bang and somehow he thought toyota was responsible for their design oversights or something, its like 14 pages long now and the fool has been without a car for over a month cause he was thinking of taking them (toyota) to court or something.

Yeah I remember that.

Although on the internet you only need 2 webpages/sites/forum posts that agree on a subject and it becomes internet theory, get 3 people to agree and it becomes internet FACT!. Then the speed in which it spreads is equal to the number of suckers who want to feed the beast. Actual facts get lost quickly and the loudest voice wins no matter what the truth is.

Dual battery systems is a prime example :sorry3: :sarcastic:

Bottom line is all Navs are shit because there has been 3 clutch problems, 3 over heating problems and the Toyota forum says so, we just have to accept it.

recently had the opportunity to drive a miner mid range level hilux tray back while i was on a stint up north,

keep in mind that my nav is a second hand miner povo pack back from a leasing company, Also i didn't really do alot of research when i bought it, mostly i got the nav purely based on features vs price, i still feel that the you get more for your money with a navara vs a hilux, (and yes its a manual, i wish i had the auto though)

although i didn't do any serious off roading with it , just a few dirt roads etc etc, and i did a fair bit of highway driving i gotta say i for just driving i preferred the nav,

i have nothing 'bad' to say about the hilux, it did its job and everything i asked of it, but i prefer the sitting position in the nav, and the general feel of the nav i find is better (this may be my upgraded suspension?!?!?!)

my one complaint about the lux is when sitting on the highway at 140k the hilux fuel economy was SHITE, maybe the 5 spd gearbox needed another gear, i am not sure, but the economy was truly lacking

^ yea over 100km/h cause of the gearing they use alot more fuel, sit on 100 though and you can get low 8's

I have driven both auto and manual, manual wasn't that great but I liked the auto for a 4 speed it did well, this was the current SR5.

compared to my D22 they were very nice, compared to like an amarok the interior was a bit spartan but if I was going to do some remote driving or hard 4wding I'd have no hesitation taking a lux or nav.

Last edited:
I know as we have 6 company cars :

1 x SRT8 Cherokee
1 x SR5 TD 4x4
1 x SR5 petrol 4 x 2
2 x hilux workmates
1 x STX

STX has cost more than other the 4 Hilux's put together each year for last 3 years to keep on the road. Account couldnt believe it when he broke downs costs of the cars as for a small fleet our car running expenses are very high he said and looked it and rang and said sell it at any cost as it such a huge waste of money.

Zero problems with Hilux (no comment on jeep as only 12 months old)

Even the accountant can see they suck !

^ They are the Best looking, awseome to drive when running - I agree - but they bloody weak as piss ! Hilux's look so boring and bland in comparisson....

Oh in that case your 100% correct!! every single Navara ever made should be taken out of circulation ASAP and thrown in a big hole!!
so glad you enlightened us with your wisdom.
Just dont understand why the three that i have owned and done over 500'000km in haven't given me any major probs, BUT never mind that you say they SUCK so we should all listen a sell or burn :wristy:

Thats just his opinion Nathan of which if the shoe was on the other foot wouldn't yours be the same? he wasn't implying everyone go sell their D40's just that his boss should sell theirs. that is how I read it anyway...

Mechanical issues are not brand specific, although our experiences may be.
Our opinions therefore reflect our personal experience not some real statistics. That's commerce.
It sucks for sure to own a lemon.

Last edited:
Thats just his opinion Nathan of which if the shoe was on the other foot wouldn't yours be the same? he wasn't implying everyone go sell their D40's just that his boss should sell theirs. that is how I read it anyway...

Yeah i see your point BUT i also have read what his probs were and i dont think that ALL OF THEM can be blamed on the ute or the manufacturer and believe some responsibility should be on the driver or drivers and the dealer he was using, also i am just sick of reading about how crap he thinks Navara's in general are after all "even his accountant can see THEY suck"
He has been on here bagging the crap out of the utes for post after post, just hurry up and sell the thing if its so bad and is costing soo much cash dont keep crying about it, just do something........... PLEASE if not for his own sanity for ours.:sarcastic:

Here is a recap of how long i have been reading about all of Wanderer's probs its been going on now for half the thread and most of the time he puts every Nav ever made in the same boat he is in. Like everyone but him knows problems are NOT brand specific, and if it is so much of a money sucking peice of shit sell it,,, im sure no one would blame him

I have to agree, my 2008 navara has been towed 3 times, and now is having diff rebuilt at 87,000 k's, great looking and comfortable piece of junk.

It has in 4 years had :
Clutch replaced under warranty
tail shaft leak at both ends - warranty
tail shaft let go and 50,000 k's - diff end uni chewed out
wiring flooded and car short circuited
over 7 alarms - warranty
2 x sunroofs - warranty
power window and steering silver parts replaced 3 x times - warranty
tailgate realligned twice
erradic idle never fixed by nissan - took a chip & tune
dashrattles and seat belts dont retract
Rust to roof rails and inside tub
steel not stainless screws fitted also rusting

Now at 87,000 needs timing chain and diff rebuilt. We have 6 cars in our fleet - Hilux's dont miss a beat, and my navara is constantly in for repairs ! With the lowest k's !

Nothing short of a total piece of junk, as I have spent so much cash decking it out cant afford to replace it.

Next year getting a cruiser new, so wont be trusting my kids in my navara in the bush ! With the amount of chewed up metal in my diff what if it locked up !!

Bloody disgrace and danger to its customers ! Anyone want to see how nice my ute looks and drives, feel free - but PLEASE dont stick up for them and say they are anything short of JUNK !

Mate its a real shame to hear about all your drama, BUT i will say my last three navs have been FARKEN AWESOME and the new one is a great ute and all of them shit all over all of my relos and mate that have Hiluxs.
If you think you are not going to have trouble with the 200 cruiser think again..... go have a read of there forums and you will find a heap of owners like a good mate of mine from "OUTBACK SIGNS" winging about how they break left CV'S and the tail shafts go out of balance and vibrate the fark out of the car along with a long list of other probs and how TOYOTA dont give a rats arse about how much money you have spent, they just wont cover any of it under warranty unless lawyers are involved.

Seeing as you have not one ounce of knowledge of my vehicles service history or my respect for it shows how uninformed and biased you opinion is.

I didnt spend to date $70k on a vehicle to treat it like crap or not service at regualr internals !

To make such blanket uniformed decisions shows the complete inability for any comment you make to be credible.

These vehicles are JUNK JUNK JUNK - and if I hadnt stuck so much cash in modifications I would not be keeping it. Npw its in for timing chain, major service. diff locker, AND RUST REPAIRS.

Who maybe my neglect and waxing it only every couple months made it rust in the gutter rails or the chassis rails - geez i should treat it with more respect next time !!!

Sorry for the rant but cant stand people who cant see crap or admit it when it is a black and white fact.

The comment of the D22 was correct ! I had my 2004 D22 petrol - 140k's and NOT ONE issue ! Should have kept it and no upgraded to a D40 and Disaster ! And i was Nissan before this - owning a 10 sec 200sx, my D40, and a GQ at the same time.

Let me tell you Nissan aint ever making into my garage again !

Like i said before i can see why you really have a massive case for getting shitty with your D40, BUT like you said your self you have loved all the other nissan's you have owned and there are so many of us that have had a good run with our D40's so i dont think they are ALL "junk" but yes yours does seem to be a friday car and they are out there in all makes from BMW to Holden and every other make you care to mention.
I would be taking your car to an independent repairer and taking his findings along with all your own info you have gathered to the "Department of fair trading" and see if you can get some sort of satisfactory result, and dont ever go back to Jarvin he is a MASSIVE DIKC!! Maybe try a few other dealers
like i said its a real shame you have had such crappy luck just hope you get it sorted so you can get some use out of it before you sell it and buy a yota

Since my comment was a general comment based on what someone else has said and not directed at you or in anyway mentioned you my opinion is as valid as anyone elses.

I've never stated anything I say is credible however it is an opinion and public forums are full of them, you yourself have one which seems to go against that of a lot of Navara owners yet no one has made claims about your credibility.

You're vehicle may be junk but mine isn't therefore blanket ill-formed decisions may just show the complete inability for any comment some people make to be taken as credible.

Don't bother obviously it's a heap of shit and there is no other answer for it than to make wild claims about every other vehicle of it's kind being the same as yours.

Oh and in case you haven't worked it out yet my Nav still isn't junk :thefinger:

Get the ute back on Tuesday ! Now with ARB Locker - wish I hadnt sunk so much money in it or she would be gone. - keep moving on !

Plus sick of hearing it when ever I walk in some where to get repairs done and they all tell you - oh yeah just did one of these - DIff Technics said he is well versed is repairing the LSD's under warranty - and also said Nissan make him not replace replace bearing etc to save cost so no warranty on the repairs.

Going away next weekend - hope it makes as the diff issue stuffed the last trip.

Gotta love Nissan Quality ! hahaha

Lets see what breaks next !

Well - blew my diff at Xmas, put a locker in $2900.

Now the second clutch is GONE at 87,000 k's.

Im fixing it up. Now ordered a hilux, delivered in 7 weeks. Going up for sale and WILL NEVER touch a nissan aghain in my life - it has sucked $8,100 in maintenance now in 12 months, between computer to fix idel problems, repairs, diff and clutch.....

How can Nissan even sell such a failed product ?

Ive owned three navara's and done over half a million km's in them and never had any issues with my diffs, clutches or anything that major for that matter.

on the other hand all my mates and relo's that own Hilux's have had heaps of probs, a good mate just had to have his injectors + rail replaced and he is the forth one of my Hilux buddies to have done that exact job BUT no big deal really its only costing them around $6500 not to mention the probs with the rear diff and the clutch issues and one with the auto has had to fit a cooler to stop it boiling,
So as Krafty said the Yotas have there fair share of probs so i hope you get lucky.

I know as we have 6 company cars :

1 x SRT8 Cherokee
1 x SR5 TD 4x4
1 x SR5 petrol 4 x 2
2 x hilux workmates
1 x STX

STX has cost more than other the 4 Hilux's put together each year for last 3 years to keep on the road. Account couldnt believe it when he broke downs costs of the cars as for a small fleet our car running expenses are very high he said and looked it and rang and said sell it at any cost as it such a huge waste of money.

Zero problems with Hilux (no comment on jeep as only 12 months old)

Even the accountant can see they suck !

^ They are the Best looking, awseome to drive when running - I agree - but they bloody weak as piss ! Hilux's look so boring and bland in comparisson....

Latest posts

Back