D40 Power difference

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40Craig

Reaction score
Hi All, was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this...
I just took delivery of a new D40 which is going to raplace my GU ute. I got the 2012 RX base model, 2.5 TD auto. This engine spec at 126kw. The ST engine, although identical (I think) in appearence is spec at 140kw. My question is, is there a chip (standard Nissan item) which can be purchased to bring my truck's power up to that of the ST or would it be better to go for an aftermarket one?. I was wondering about warranty among other things with an aftermarket item. The sales dude said it was a different engine but it looks the same as the ST.
Cheers Craig.

There is a thread somewhere which has the engine differences listed, there is a few changes between models but I can't remember what they are right now, maybe try searching just the d40 section for something like "engine differences" or something like that.

I've often wondered the same Craig and have never found anything conclusive on this forum---maybe its here however the search function adds nothing to the quest

Maybe it's trapped in one of the generic D40 difference threads, there is heaps of them. I do know it's there somewhere. I'm sure someone mentioned one of the differences is the manifold.

I had a quick look and I can't find the thread, you'll have to wait until someone else either comes up with the thread or remembers it's contents.

basically the 140kw d40 has a different head and different turbo compared to the 126kw, it is also tuned for emissions differently and has a traction control, soo no you can't swap nissan ecus between cars.

as for a power chip I have a 126kw nissan navara st and I run as many do on this forum a chip it chip and find it to be wonderful, provides me with buckets loads of power and torque as well as getting better fuel economy, just remember if you have an auto to get the DPF delete kit they also offer as you save heaps of fuel, otherwise you will end up clogging up your dpf. trust me you won't look back fitting a chip and dpf delete kit to your navara

don't worry about the warranty, if there is a problem the chip undoes in 2 minutes and your back to standard and nissan are none the wiser and never new it was there.

anyone know the differences between the 98kW d22 2.5CRD and the D40's then ??
thanks

Different head, different turbo's. The D40 has variable Vane turbo, we don't.

Thanks for that, the RX also comes with traction control, but as for the manifold and turbo, that's probably it. I'll definitly look into a 'Chip it' chip though.
Thanks again.

Check their website I think they have prices. otherwise there is a thread on this forum by chipit which will give you the information.

Just stupid shit done by Nissan.

Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Mitsubishi and Isuzu offer the same power engines in all models.

Toyota got the V6 right, its offered in every model.

No wonder Nissan didn't sell enough VQ40 models.

Basically from memory the chip is $999 and dpf delete is $399, very cheap compared to the other chips on offer by the market, also I'm sorry to tell you but only Spanish made trucks have the traction control, so only the 2012 st and stx, it was never fitted on models with the 126kw engine only higher output models

Okay, not bad at that price. Also, if my truck has'nt got traction control, what's the button with the car and 2 squigely lines under it and the same light on the dash?. In the wifes 2010 Commodore, that same icon is 'Traction control'. I had a flip thru the manual and there is nothing at all about this switch/light. I just assumed thats what it was.

JUST A POINT OF CLARIFICATION

Nissan in the d22 make the 2.5 with a 98kW motor

and in the d40 the 2.5 comes with a 106kW, a 126kW and a 140kW motor

all makes perfect sense :confused3:

would anyone know the definitive answers as to what the differences are wrt configurations in how the power specs are achieved ?

140 at the fly wheel, 126 at the tail shaft, 106 at the wheel nuts and 98 at the tyer only when inflated to 40psi... LOL thats how nissan work it out. clear as mud...

Hi All, was wondering if anybody could shed some light on this...
I just took delivery of a new D40 which is going to raplace my GU ute. I got the 2012 RX base model, 2.5 TD auto. This engine spec at 126kw. The ST engine, although identical (I think) in appearence is spec at 140kw. My question is, is there a chip (standard Nissan item) which can be purchased to bring my truck's power up to that of the ST or would it be better to go for an aftermarket one?. I was wondering about warranty among other things with an aftermarket item. The sales dude said it was a different engine but it looks the same as the ST.
Cheers Craig.

JUST A POINT OF CLARIFICATION

Nissan in the d22 make the 2.5 with a 98kW motor

and in the d40 the 2.5 comes with a 106kW, a 126kW and a 140kW motor

all makes perfect sense :confused3:

would anyone know the definitive answers as to what the differences are wrt configurations in how the power specs are achieved ?

The difference between the 126kw and the 140kw are......

# increased injection pressure of the pump to around 2000bar (approx 30,000psi) this has improved the atomisation of the fuel therefor giving better combustion.

# a new cylinder head with parallel ports to increase swirl efficiency of the combustion process, decreased emissions and smoothing out the intake and exhaust flows.

# a bypass valve in the EGR sytem which allows it to warm up quicker

#A NEW variable-nozzle TURBO, with electric control instead of the previous hydraulic system, for quicker response.

# They have also fitted a bellows type joint at the turbo outlet wich is meant to smooth out the response off idle as well as under acceleration.

#They claim that they have not only increased the power but have improved fuel economy by 13%

This is only for the D40 range dont ask me what the difference is between the D22 and D40 are, i could only guess that it would be yet another head, turbo, exhaust + ecu

Last edited:
Where did the info come from?..is this Nissan speak?

The difference between the 126kw and the 140kw are......

# increased injection pressure of the pump to around 2000bar (approx 30,000psi) this has improved the atomisation of the fuel therefor giving better combustion.

# a new cylinder head with parallel ports to increase swirl efficiency of the combustion process, decreased emissions and smoothing out the intake and exhaust flows.

# a bypass valve in the EGR sytem which allows it to warm up quicker

#A NEW variable-nozzle TURBO, with electric control instead of the previous hydraulic system, for quicker response.

# They have also fitted a bellows type joint at the turbo outlet wich is meant to smooth out the response off idle as well as under acceleration.

#They claim that they have not only increased the power but have improved fuel economy by 13%

This is only for the D40 range dont ask me what the difference is between the D22 and D40 are, i could only guess that it would be yet another head, turbo, exhaust + ecu

d40 Craig...which of the above dot points did you see where the extra power is derived from?

Latest posts

Back