D40 pyrometer probe

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanojuice1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just a quick question regarding probe placement for a 07 d40 stx, is it alright to completely take out the egr pipe and make a backing plate for the manifold side with a tapped hole in it and place the probe there? By putting the sensor there will I get accurate readings or will I still need to guess actual temp as you do by fitting them into the dump pipe?

Cheers guys.

Thats what i've done on my ZD30 and so have at least 2 others. Removing pollution gear isn't really legal but i've been over the pits and no one noticed. tweake found that his first pyro wasn't long enough so it was under reading but mines fine.

actual temp is in the manifold. dump pipe dosn't get real temp.
fitting in egr port is ok, just check the tip of the probe actually gets into the centre of the gas flow.
i found that out the hard way when i put a longer one in on the toyo and the temp went up 100c.

pre turbo is best.
dump pipe is ok also but expect around a 100 deg drop in temp

correct way is one probe per exh cylinder about 50mm from flange

Happy days...

I'd put it pre-turbo too, so that you know what the turbo is suffering through. Post turbo and some of the energy is expended - which reduces the temperature by anywhere from 100C to 250C.

I've never thought of putting a pyrometer on each pot. If they were accurate, you'd be able to tell if one cylinder was performing differently, which would either point to a design flaw (like the #3 pot in a GU30) or a faulty/worn injector.

How hard is it to put pre turbo on a D40?
I've just received mine in the post and just need to install.

The EGR outlet of the exhaust manifold is not only a good idea, but removal of the pipe and subsequent replacement by a sensor - if done neatly - could make it seem like it was designed to go there.

Some people drill into the exhaust manifold near the turbo, tap, helicoil, insert probe.

My own EGT probe needs to be electrically insulated so I'm not sure how I'm going to achieve that.

If they were accurate, you'd be able to tell if one cylinder was performing differently, .

exactly the point...

just take a petrol motor for example....you cant know what the other cylinders are doing by just 'reading' one spark plug...

exh temp readings on each cylinder are an invaluable tool

Latest posts

Back