D40 rear diff breather installation issue - HELP!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilante

Reaction score
So I finally got around to installing the breather kit that I purchased back in July ... it's one of those Air On Board kits that comes with tubing, 1/8 'quick connect' BSP fittings, mounting brackets, air filters, etc.

Anyway, did the front diff, transfer case and gearbox breathers pretty easily. But I COMPLETELY STUFFED the rear diff part.

I got the standard rear breather off without any trouble but when I was installing one of the quick connect fittings, the bloody thing sheared right off! The thread was consistently tight the whole way but I suspect the quick connect fittings are made from soft metal, but I will not be blaming the tools - they don'y call me passion fingers for nothing haha. Anyway, the soft metal of the quick connect fitting was just tearing apart when trying to use an extractor kit to remove it from the axle housing.

So, I am kind of stuck because I don't really know what goes on inside the housing of a D40 axle so I don't really want metal shavings falling into the axle housing. Is using a thread tapping kit and drill my only remaining option? What do you reckon?

Cheers for any help.

Latest posts

Back