D40 safe egt's??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoY

Reaction score
Hi all have done a search but unable to find what I'm after. I have a 2012 d40 st that's been chipped and has a 3" turbo back zorst. Was wondering what safe exhaust temps are for my car. Was told max should be round 600 but not sure if that's f to c? Any help much appreciated. Also I will be fitting probe after turbo on dump pipe.

Cheers

Forget about reading egt's on a d40. The post injection means that the readings you have are all messed up anyway.

Ive seen 750deg in the dump pipe on stock vehicles many times.

So not worth fitting? Just want to keep an eye on it with chip. Bought chip second hand and I am not sure if they had it on a wild setting. Don't want to start melting parts.

Its hard to determine a max temp when measuring after the turbo. From reading on here stock they run up to around 700c pre turbo. Under high load the difference can be up to a couple of hundred degrees from pre to post turbo measurements. The limit used to be about 550c max post turbo, but that was with older technology engine technology so you might be able to push a bit more now.

In saying all that I have my gauge set up post turbo and won't go above 1000f on my gauge (around 530c) although the most I have seen it is about 800f.

Sweet. Guess 600c should be ok. I mean if it hits that high wont be there for very long.

The limit of 550 in old school stuff was because.

A Before). it was all indirect or direct injection with single or dual shot injection at the point of combustion.

A Now). It is now fully electronic with a pilot injection amount just a couple of mm3, multiple main injection shots in the range of 5-7 times and 1-2 post injections occurring at anything up to 180deg after main injection (basically when the exhaust valve is open)

B Before) All the old stuff had wastegated or non wastegated turbo's.

B Now) Anything since about 07 onwards has variable vane turbo chargers.
Varying the nozzle pressure varies the exhaust gas temp and exhaust manifold pressure, both make significant differences to engine longevity.

C Before) We used to fit egt gauges because it was the only real indication we had of what was going on with the engine.

C Now) The ecu in todays cars check multiple sensors mainly the engine coolant to determine what is actually going with the combustion cycle....
Not what is happening post combustion in the exhaust.

I've been running a D40 With no CAT and No DPF for a few months now. These devices in the system which burn the post injected diesel to create extra heat for the emission control system to work. With out these devices creating "rouge" heat in the exhaust as opposed to the engine im thinking i might actually be able to obtain some meaningful EGT information if i installed one in the normal place.

I know there must be some reason for them as the later 140kw YD25 and the M9r all have a EGT sensor mounted in the exhaust manifold. The nissan manual Is clear when it discribes the function of these devices as "ENGINE PROTECTION". Not making this up is in the nissan manual. This to me validates the theory that and old fashioned EGT gauge in the right place could still be useful for monitoring peak temps. How ever as diesel tuner says probably not overly useful for tuning purposes.

Last edited:
You can certainly monitor them.

Like I said, I have seen in excess of 750deg C about 50mm post turbo on multiple stock D40's. So as long as you realise your looking at false data, and use it as a new benchmark then it could be potentially helpfull if you start to see 850 or 950 etc...

Back