d40 sluggish on take off

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peeweefrazer

Reaction score
hey guys i just brought a rx d40 2009 mod dual cab, an seems a little slugish on take off is there any way to fix this ? would a chip help? if so what can be recommend, and ones to stay away from ?

Welcome peewee. It's a 2-3T diesel powered ute of course it;s going to be slow on take of. A chip might make some difference but it will also make a difference to your wallet in both purchase price and fuel if you want to take off harder. Try the Advanced search there is literally shit loads of information on D40's with chips and what sort of power and economy people are getting.

Welcome to the forum!

^ What he said, plus you can look at doing the EGR block (thread detailing how to do this is stickied in the D40 Engine section).

The thing with the D40 is that it's tuned to deliver power once the engine is at about 1800rpm or higher. I've noticed that I'm getting tiny amounts of boost at idle (750rpm) - about 0.5psi of boost. Put your foot down and when the RPM rises to 1800, there's enough exhaust pressure to get the turbo going strongly.

I reckon turbo diesel utes require a different take off technique.

You can't just put your foot down or it bogs down and the turbo doesn't spin until the revs climb up.

You can't give it a quick rev and then let the clutch out because the turbo hasn't had time to spool up so the revs drop again.

If you want a quicker take off or you're towing serious weight then I reckon you sort of have to rev it before you take off but for a bit longer than expected (which helps get the turbo spinning) and then slip the clutch a bit to keep the revs from dropping (thus keeping the turbo spinning).

Sounds harder than it is...

agreed, i had to change my driving technique to adjust for the peculiarities of a turbo deisel compared to an economic petrol sedan

gotta get the rpm up before letting clutch out and not dump it at the same time

Latest posts

Back