D40 stalling/cutting out

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt87

Reaction score
hey guys , i had a problem with my 08 auto D40 navara the other day, as i pulled out onto the freeway my ute cut out as i went to accelerate. Just before it went to drop down a cog it stopped.

I went to start it again after a minute and it started and idled fine, but as soon as i went to put it into drive it cut out again. eventually it came good. i cant find the issue, and was desperately needing some help as i dont want it to happen again in the middle of nowhere.

Matt, there is another recent thread on D40's stalling, or at least power drops while driving.

I think the talk is that the car seems to be going into fail safe mode (wont go over 2000 rpm)

take the Nav to NISSAN and get them to run diagostic on the computer to see if a error code comes up ...

mmm, there is another thread or two about this. one was a vacum hose n the other not resolved yet after many attempts to diagnose. nissan will have to step up. would read the others and then let em know its serious.

Roughly where are you?

You can come along this Sunday to Minmi pub for an eat, greet and gabfest and while we're there, I'll pop my bluetooth OBD adapter on and prise the ECU error codes out.

There really could be several things wrong here, we don't have enough information yet.

If the engine is stopping completely (RPM = 0) then it's probably fuel related, perhaps a contaminant or something getting in the way, maybe there's a slow leak in the fuel line between the fuel pump and the tank (that's the suction side, not the pressure side). This happens now and again if the fuel filter isn't fitted perfectly.

If the engine is not stopping, but still runs and is limited in RPM, then that's "limp mode" as already indicated, and could be the result of a great many things. It could be a dirty MAFS (mass air flow sensor), it could be an overboost if you're trying to accelerate hard just as it does it, it could be a faulty vacuum line disabling or impairing the actuator for the turbo vanes. It could be a stuck EGR valve, a faulty CAS (crank angle sensor).

Some of these will give the ECU error codes, some won't (like a leaking vacuum line). Give us a little more info about the problem, we'll narrow this down a bit more.

thanks guys, im in Ridgewood Perth, NOR and im just waiting on getting some coin together so i can take it to nissan. my last service said the injectors needed servicing, but not a major issue.

If this is the cause then it is a major issue.

Appreciate the help

Latest posts

Back