D40 Stock rims blacked out

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno91

Reaction score
Seeing as it was a long weekend I decided to paint my stock wheels black, quite pleased with the results as it was my first time spray painting anything to be honest.

Items used/steps taken:

-Remove wheel, wash thoroughly and dry
-Sanded surface with 180 grit wet 'n dry sandpaper
-Primed with Acrylic Surface Primer (3 light coats)
-Apply top coat (Gloss Black Engine Enamel) 2 light coats and one final wet coat

1st pic is an older one just showing the original colour
EDIT: Just uploaded a close-up

Attachments

• 20130124_180622.jpg
    20130124_180622.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 16,173
  • 20130609_113559.jpg
    20130609_113559.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 295
  • 20130609_112421.jpg
    20130609_112421.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 20130609_113632.jpg
    20130609_113632.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 336
  • 20130610_141520.jpg
    20130610_141520.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Nice job mate, I got mine powdercoated just because my local tyre shop is run by friends and they have a guy that does it but yours came up just as good .

it's good to know people, especially if they have a tyre shop haha, I think all up the paint cans cost me $65. I decided to do it myself because if I botched one up then there was more reason to get a set of black sunraysia's, only time will tell how durable this paint is.. I have a feeling it might not like fourbying.

come up alright mate, are you going to do the centre caps?? after i had my rims powder coated i pulled the chrome nissan logo out of the centre cap and give the caps a spray then just popped the logo back in once the cap was dry.

come up alright mate, are you going to do the centre caps?? after i had my rims powder coated i pulled the chrome nissan logo out of the centre cap and give the caps a spray then just popped the logo back in once the cap was dry.

cheers mate, I was thinkin about it but I don't mind the silver center caps and nuts, keeps it uniform with the silver body.. If my ute was black or another colour I would have sprayed the caps. What did you pay for the powdercoating just curious?

cheers mate, I was thinkin about it but I don't mind the silver center caps and nuts, keeps it uniform with the silver body.. If my ute was black or another colour I would have sprayed the caps. What did you pay for the powdercoating just curious?

mate i had two sets of rims done and my sliders zinc coated then powder coated,
all for $150 and three cases of beer.

But you should look at around $70-90 per rim

Last edited:
Yep I was originally quoted $80 a rim from the nearest powdercoater, I love the stock rims in black, a mate that owns a new Ranger went and got XD rockstars at about $2.5k+ for the set. My powdercoated stocko's look just as nice and I got some change to spend on better goodies.

Looks good mate, i got mine done when i got the new wheels under re-call, so got the new rims for free and got them powdercoated for free aswell! Got to love having an uncle that works at a fencing joint! But i reacon these rims looks mickey mouse in black!

I brought a spare set a few weeks ago , I got quoted $ 80.00 from a few places but that was just " coat over " prices , I had mine acid stripped , bead blasted and then powder coated gloss black , having a set of cooper st maxx fitted , coating was $120.00 pw

shame i would of sold you my set off the 2012 ST i had them bead blasted and coated, but i asked for them to be satin like the previous set i have but he did them in gloss, as they were done for only 2 cases of beer through a mate i didnt want to complain but i really dont like the gloss and want to sell them.

shame i would of sold you my set off the 2012 ST i had them bead blasted and coated, but i asked for them to be satin like the previous set i have but he did them in gloss, as they were done for only 2 cases of beer through a mate i didnt want to complain but i really dont like the gloss and want to sell them.

wouldn't have fitted , mine is a thai built , i wound up having to go to south Aus to get these as i wanted to be sure the ones i got weren't subject to the recall , these came off a 2010

Back