D40 strange issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unkn0wn

Reaction score
Howdy

a few months back we put some braided lines on my mates d40.
one of the rear bleeders was stubborn, n snapped, then the easy-out snapped in it to...so it was left alone.

randomly from cold, or sitting his car would struggle to go forward. pretty much like the handbrake was on, then it would make an Almighty bang and away she would go.

we found out if you started by going backwards it was not an issue.

today, i replaced the brake master, re-bled the system and checked the rear. they seemed fine and would spin by hand fine and when you put it in gear both wheels would spin.

i left it on my dirt patch out the front. about 3 hours later i went to go for a drive. It felt like the rear left was locked and the rear right was digging a hole!! reversed both came live and then tried forward again, similar thing, then click! it started going forward just fine.

now we have been diagnosing this issue on and off, one of the things was to leave the hbreak off - that dident change anything.

because its auto, you need to put the brake down to get into gear, i suspected a rear drums were locking?

the side that felt like it was locking was the one i replaced today...everything looked fine, spun freely and had no wear.

so now i ask...wtf and has anyone had this before?? and what was it?

cheers
christian

Binding rear brakes can sometimes mean you have an axle seal leaking and the shoes have swollen from the oil. Might pay to jack up the truck and pull the rear wheels and drums to have a look

I am having the exact same issue with my 2012 King Cab Automatic. Mine feels like the fronts are holding it (Rear wheels would spin on the dirt and fronts completely locked) Same thing though is when I would reverse back a bit it would free up. I tried once going forward and heard a massive bang and it started going. To me it feels like its not the brakes holding though.

Howdy

mine actually was the rear brake. it was all sorted now.

if yours is front, perhaps consider the front diff to?

cheers

I was thinking front diff. It seems to go into 4wd ok and work fine. The issue has only happened when in 2wd.

not sure if the drum brake set up are the same but had this issue with mt camper trailer after brake work and adjustment. Turns out that one brake shoe just trails and if springs / spacers etc are disturbed the trailing shoe locks on, reversing resets it.
Take the wheel and brake drum off and have a look at the alignment.

Sounds like you have a shoe on backwards. Its a common mistake and can be quite hard to see. Whip the other wheel off for a comparison?

Latest posts

Back