D40 STX 2006-2007 any difference?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorty08

Reaction score
Gday everyone, new member here. This weekend I'll be heading down to the to buy a D40 STX. The options are a D40 STX 2006 Model with just shy of 100,000 K's, original owner with books. The other is a D40 STX 2007 model with 150,000ish K's, both have bull bar and tow bar, mostly stock otherwise. Price wise there are fairly close, the 06 model is a bit dearer but is advertised at drive away price.

So I just wanted to know what difference, if any there is between to different year models. If there is no difference in models I'll be tempted to go for the 06 model with less K's I think.

Cheers.

I'm not sure if there is any difference between to two but I would be more likely to go with the one with lower k's

Cheers Justo

Thanks for the reply Justo, I did do a search but couldn't find much on it. I know they look the same and as far as I can tell they are the same mechanically.

One thing that's really worth checking out is the timing chain, I know that is a common problem with the earlier modles

Cheers Justo

Only a minor difference between the two. The 2006 had a little trouble with its rear axle and the 2006-2009 models had possible timing chain issues. If memory also serves, the 2006 auto did NOT have a DPF and the 2007 did.

Timing chains are pretty obvious if they need replacing. They make a huge clattering sound from the front of the motor, it's usually the tensioner that gives out allowing the chain to slap away inside, which can cause the chain to stretch or the chain to start hopping the gears which rips teeth off. It'll cost somewhere around $3K-$5K to replace the chain before it lets go (depending on who does it) and around the $10K mark to fix it if it does let go. They often give warning (but not all the time, had one person report here that theirs let go with no notice at all).

Both models are 126kW 3T towing and no difference really. Real changes came in 2010 with the Thai built ST variant (same engine as the 2006-2009 but missing bits in the loom, indicators in the guard and a couple of vital mm difference in between the chassis rails) and the introduction of the 140kW power plant in the Spanish version, produced by a different head design and an electronically actuated turbocharger control, where the 2006 to early 2010s had vacuum-controlled Garrett GT2056V turbos.

Both cars will need to have a little bit of TLC applied at some point. Vac hoses will be aged and possibly hardened/cracked. Intercoolers will possibly be filled with oil. Fuel hoses may have also begun to perish. Neither will likely be on their original disc rotors because the Nissan ones are made of a special form of Parmesan and generally last just long enough to reach the first major service (40,000km).

It'll also do you good to check and/or replace the brake fluid, diff fluids, check the breather hoses on the diffs, transfer case and gearbox - this applies to either car, they're both around 10 years old.

I'd seriously look at the 2006 model too. My 2009 has just passed 220,000km and is getting a new turbocharger during next week (it should arrive from Forefront Industries on Tuesday). Otherwise it's perfect - and the lower km version should have less wear and tear. It would pay to remove the air hose from the front of your turbocharger, remove the two nuts holding the angled hose retainer and give the impeller a wiggle. It should turn smoothly and not wobble at all. If it does, a new turbo is $800 from Forefront (billet cut impeller, not cast). Reports say better spool times, a couple of people say it boosts harder but Jamie and I had a nice chat and he says it's designed to boost the same as the stock turbo.

That applies to both models, really. As does bearing wear on the front axles - take her for a drive around sweeping left and right corners. As the front end on each side loads up, you'll hear if there's bearing damage, it'll grind a bit.

Thanks heaps Old Tony. Very informative, I'll be sure to check tomorrow. The 06 and 07 STX's are Spanish built arnt they?

Thanks heaps Old Tony. Very informative, I'll be sure to check tomorrow. The 06 and 07 STX's are Spanish built arnt they?

probably yes but to be 100% sure check the VIN (VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER)
Spain models start with VSK and thailand models with MNT

i have an 06 auto stx. tony is right, the 06 auto doesn't have a DPF, so that's 1 less headache. the series 1 also has a low mount turbo, so be careful if you want an after market exhaust. beaudesert is the only company that makes a kit, everyone else custom makes them. so this also means the hot pipe is different also if you want a hard pipe. the 06 has the side indicators in the guards like the dx/st, instead of the mirrors.
mine has done 203k trouble free so far, apart from a rear pinion seal and an alternator pulley, nothing unique to the 06!

PHP:
Well I ended up deciding on the 2006 model. I couldn't fault it, it drove nice, didn't have a mark on it inside or out. No stranger noises from engine or running gear. Looking forward to starting the mods 👍🏻 thanks for the advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 44
i have an 06 auto stx. tony is right, the 06 auto doesn't have a DPF, so that's 1 less headache. the series 1 also has a low mount turbo, so be careful if you want an after market exhaust. beaudesert is the only company that makes a kit, everyone else custom makes them. so this also means the hot pipe is different also if you want a hard pipe. the 06 has the side indicators in the guards like the dx/st, instead of the mirrors.
mine has done 203k trouble free so far, apart from a rear pinion seal and an alternator pulley, nothing unique to the 06!

Cheers mate, I send for a manual. What's DPF (forgive me for the lack of knowledge!)?

DPF is a "diesel particulate filter". Generally you won't see much soot at all from a DPF-equipped diesel unless there's something wrong with the engine (eg my own turbocharger). They're an expensive attempt to remove the visible pollution created by diesels.

Eric, yours is not alone in those repairs. I had the exact same repairs done to mine, but replaced the alternator instead of repairing it.

Eric, yours is not alone in those repairs. I had the exact same repairs done to mine, but replaced the alternator instead of repairing it.

tony, do the replacement alternators come with a new pulley?

i forgot to mention my T/C shudder under load at 100 k/ph. i have lived with it for 150k now, just work around it. hasn't gotten any worse!

Mine did but mine wasn't a Nissan alternator. It was recommended by my mechanic (who is pretty bloody good at what he does) and it seems to be doing pretty well.

Thankfully my TC is ok. Have you tried getting the vehicle up to 85km/h then easing the throttle right off (<10%)? With a really low engine load the TCM should instruct the TCC to engage fairly quickly.

Mine did but mine wasn't a Nissan alternator. It was recommended by my mechanic (who is pretty bloody good at what he does) and it seems to be doing pretty well.

Thankfully my TC is ok. Have you tried getting the vehicle up to 85km/h then easing the throttle right off (<10%)? With a really low engine load the TCM should instruct the TCC to engage fairly quickly.

mine doesn't start shuddering till it's close to 100k/ph under load, so i just ease off or down shift. hardly noticing it happen now i'm so used to it!

Latest posts

Back