D40 timing chain fault

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2007 D40 with 90000 km and the timing chain has stretched that much that the engine not longer runs. This is a common fault that Nissan know about but dont want to dont anything about. I am one of the lucky ones , my chain only stretched and didnt break. I was warned about this some months ago but didnt think it would happen to me. Dont.yourself a favour and get a conversion done before its too late
Cheers .jm

damn

so when did they pick up on that problem, i mean, i have a 2010 model so was a better chain installed by then?

I thought nissan extended the warranty period on timing chains??
I got the extended warranty for that reason anyway.

Some one only recently mentioned Nissan picked up the cost of replacing the timing chain after 100,000ks was up. And even congratulated them for it. I would use those details to set a precedent for them to pay for it. But that's me.
Just an update on my Timing chains. have had a call from Local Dealer to say that Nissan are replacing chain kit under warranty. A big thank you to Nissan Australia.

The car has 126k on it so well out of warranty.

Maybe a few tips to others who have a genuine warranty complaint.

I started about a week ago and rang the Dealer. They quoted $3300.00 to put in a kit. Primary Chain/Gears/tensioners etc.

I then rang Nissan Australia and asked if they could do something. they arranged for me to attend the dealer to diagnose the problem. I did that and heard nothing for a week and then get a phone call this morning to arrange the booking in of the car.

It all was very smooth and i am grateful to nissan.

I think the key here is if you have a genuine, known problem and you are polite and honest and helpful then it can be worked out. You catch more with honey than vinegar. Thats my theory and i am very happy. I will post again when job complete.

Last edited:
Could be a satisfied customer, could be a second account, could be completely different person with an unrelated story, or it could just be a mystery :big_smile:

Maybe we could run a tote :sarcastic:

I just did my timing chain at 126500ks on my d40 diesel. I am going to share with you the experience I had doing this job. I use this forum for information and have read many articles since owing a d40 and finding the forum.
I found searching this forum some people posting issues with yd25 timing chain failures. From what I had found there seemed to be an issue with the single row chain. I found a post on this forum with a link to a uk based company. Checked this out and it seemed fairly complicated having to remove the vac pump and send it to the uk to upgrade it to double row gears. I did not want my car of the road for 2 weeks. I found out that to take the vac pump of the fuel pump had to be removed, this did not seem like well thought out solution. The final price and the inconvenience did not appeal to me. Further searching on this forum I found yd25. I looked at the web site and found out that it was Brisbane based business and that there had ovesly been quite a bit of work done as there was a registered design with the Australian govement. I made contact with yd25 Paul and explained that I was not a mechanic, but that I had done my own mechanical work previously including changing timing chains on petrol engines. Paul assured me that I could tackle the job myself. He explained that there was a procedure that he had written and that he was available for help over the phone when I was doing the job. I had not worked on modern common rail diesel engines and I now had the reassurance that I would be helped while doing the job. I purchased the kit It arrived the following day. I set about doing the job on the weekend. During that weekend I called Paul many times about various details. Each time Paul pointed me in the right direction and stepped me through to the next step. The job went on until Sunday arvo, each time I called Paul was helpful and polite. I ask the question has anyone on this forum purchase car parts and been able to call the seller for assistance to install the parts, maybe during the week but on Sunday arvo? The parts first the parts I removed.The guides where starting to come apart where the chain runs on the guides. The vac pump sprocket was showing sings of wear.
The replacement parts form yd25.com.au. The bottom chain and sprockets were obversely 2 times stronger than Nissan as the replacement chain is twice as wide, the full width of the guides, so the guides will last twice as long. Yd25’s replacement parts all fitted with out having to do any work to the vac pump or the fuel pump. On summing up paul form yd25.com.au he is a champion saved me alot of money and some of the best service as i had. I had a few questions and he answered them for me. It could of been fatal if i didn’t change them so will live a bit longer well clearly twice as long as it would have. Now thanks Paul this is why ppl are upgrading to double row here is his site have a look at the pics http://yd25.com.au/nissan-yd25-single-row-timing-chain/

I have a 2007 D40 with 90000 km and the timing chain has stretched that much that the engine not longer runs. This is a common fault that Nissan know about but dont want to dont anything about. I am one of the lucky ones , my chain only stretched and didnt break. I was warned about this some months ago but didnt think it would happen to me. Dont.yourself a favour and get a conversion done before its too late
Cheers .jm

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back