Daylight robbery (D40 40,000km service)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my local mechanic did it for about $550 using all genuine nissan parts and oils.....

I use a specific brand of oil (not Nissan re-branded oil) but the rest of the parts I organise from Nissan at trade price and then give them to my mechanic. Most mechanics, like yours I suspect can buy genuine parts at trade price which drops the price of the servicing down dramatically. I haven't dealt with him myself as I have no need but I'm guessing it's pretty much a similar process with Nizzbits and the method Bosshog referred to on the other page. Whether you use a dealer or not and whether you use Nizzbits or get your own trade price servicing costs can be dropped while still using genuine parts.

120K will our cars really go that far? I've never done 120K in any privately owned vehicle of mine wonder if the Nav will be first.

I thought I was reading somewhere the other day (obviously not on this factual site) that timing chains don't get replaced these days, but given that I can't remember where I read it then I guess it could be a crock. But like you I can't be bothered pulling out the manual right now either so it can remain a mystery for a little while.

120 was so long ago:big_smile: up to 180 and belts just starting to signs of small cracks,timing chain not noisy,the front comes off to replace the chain and tensioners. has anyone had a chain fail - not told about it actually happen to you. ?

has anyone had a chain fail - not told about it actually happen to you. ?

I had a chain fail on me doing about 20kph down a dirt road towards a three brick ramp. By the time I could go for the brakes I was over that jump and flying through the air totally helpless with only the ground to stop me. But that was on a Malvern Star so it's a slightly different chain.

I've only seen the damage of a timing belt failure not a chain but I imagine the end results would be similar.

Credit where credit is due. I changed back to my local dealer for my 20,000k service as I was very unhappy with the local 4WD shop (Rally Motors) that had been servicing my car.
The dealer had a driver take me to work, pick me up when "I" wanted & completed the service for $280.00 (I notice in the service price guide suggested price is $377-480).
They also noticed my previous service's had not rotated the tyres so they did that while they had the car.
The day after the service, a young lady rang to check that I was happy with how I was treated, that's right, how I was treated.
I got such a shock, I can't even remember my reply.
Yesterday they sent a reply paid survey asking at the end, did I have any suggestions to make their servising a better expeience for their customer's.
Oh, the dealer is Rex Gorel Nissan, Geelong.
Cheers, Phil

The two times mine has been in for Warranty work I've got SMS's the day after to ask me if I was happy with the service, but there isn't enough letters in an SMS to give an honest reply. My local dealer even sends SMS to tell you the car is ready which I think is bloody rude, if a customer wants something from me I ring them I don't just send them an abbreviated text message telling them to pick it up. But interestingly enough the text message never comes through before 4pm no matter what the job being done is.

Will be interesting too see if things have changed, the same dealer has currently got the farm Hilux in for it's recall and tomorrow they are doing the 40k service on the Prado (first time it's been serviced since the 1000K wash). If their efforts haven't changed since the last time I was there the farm vehicles wont be going back there either.

Just an FYI folks.

By law you do not need to complete your servicing at a dealership. As long as the servicing is completed by a registered mechanic and logged that is all that is required.

Work that is approved for warranty repair/replacement does need to be completed by a dealer if you don't wish to pay for the work. Service bulletins and recalls also need to be completed by the dealer if to don't wish to pay for the work.

If you go to an independent please keep all your paperwork and log it, log it, LOG IT!
If there's no reference and something goes wrong that could have been covered by warranty you'll have no hope in having Nissan pay for the work.

"By Law" is not the right terms to use here because servicing isn't a legal thing. It's illegal for a dealer to enforce dealer servicing but there is no specific laws saying you can go anywhere else, it's purely an option for those who wish to pursue it.

I know that is probably deemed as nit picking but the last thing people who keep asking the question about dealer servicing (and there is heaps of them) need to hear is words like "by law" and have them scared into thinking there is some legal connotation.

Also servicing does not even have to be carried out by a registered mechanic. As long as the servicing book is followed and each point is checked the owner of the vehicle qualified or not is able to service his or her own vehicle without loosing the benefits of any warranty.

Yup, been there, done that on my D22. Signed off in the book each time.

At least in the ZD30 D22 it does not ask you to go hooking up to a Consult machine so any competent person should be easily able to service one for routine stuff.

My warranty time expires without any problems with the ute so I never had to have the argument.

Ah, managed to find my join the dots/service log book. It was buried away at the back of the vinyl door pocket stuffer they give you, behind the Model D22 series owners manual and in the back of the customer information booklet, which I hadn't found before.

Hmm, apart from the 1800 035 035 number, does anything really need to be in the vehicle around town?

You don't even need to keep the book in the car providing it's there on the day you service it, which pretty much means leaving it there and forgetting about it.

I can't think of anything else that 'has' to be there. If you get along well with your dealer you might want to keep his cards handy to ring him if there is a problem (or abuse him if you don't get along) but otherwise the book is only there for your reference. Maybe your radio code if you have one and your key code but nothing is a definite must have as far as I'm concerned,

Back