De-greasing dirty engines- got any tips or tricks?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmma221

Reaction score
Hay guys,

Has anyone got any tips or tricks for de-greasing engines? Mine is getting quite dirty with sand, mud etc etc and I want to get it all cleaned up.

I bought some valvaline super de-greaser today in the spray bottle so I can get into all of the fiddly bits but is there anywhere I should avoid gettting the de-greaser or water into?

Any help, tips, tricks or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hey mate. I use Chemtech Ct18. It's a very common truck washing liquid available everywhere. After a weekend of play i clean most of my car off with that. The trick i use is to hose down the whole car and inside engine bay. I wrap up electric bits like alternator, batteries, fuse box etc in plastics bags and tape up around them to try and avoid getting direct water into them.
After hosing down, i fill up a spray bottle (weed sprayer) with HOT water dilluted with Ct18 and then spray the whole car with that, especially underneath and engine bay. I then leave it for half an hour or 3-4 beers later, and then hose everything down. The longer you live it on the better the results. Thats what i found to work the best. As i said for best results, hot water makes a lot of difference.

Hot water and a toilet brush. (No shit!)

Do as what Hodge has said and then give it all a good scrub. The brush allows you to get into the nook and crannies and is cheap! It'll loosen all the crud before you hose it off. :)

.......And after you've done the above spray the whole engine bay with a can of Armourall tyre foam, then just leave it, it really brings it up for a nice finish.

Fourocker....didn't know that. I'll try that out.

Oh, speaking of foam, try this stuff if you can get it.
http://www.novatio.be/en/product/multifoam

We use it in the workshop and I've had it on some parts of the Nav after an oil change. What ever it touches looks like factory finish once it washes off. :)

I've never seen anything work so hard, so easily.

Hot water and a toilet brush. (No shit!)

Do as what Hodge has said and then give it all a good scrub. The brush allows you to get into the nook and crannies and is cheap! It'll loosen all the crud before you hose it off. :)

Yep. I forgot to mention the brush! I use it after CT18 does it's bit. I put the car on ramps to give easier access to the underbody. Like this:

We use it in the workshop and I've had it on some parts of the Nav after an oil change. What ever it touches looks like factory finish once it washes off. :)

You've sold it to me mate i'll be on a lookout for a can. Googling as i type this.
I always wondered though, stuff like this foam and even CT18 spared all over the car, can also remove the grease thats meant to stay there like greasable stuff around the suspension bits etc...

Thanks, I'll look out for it, it may leave a similar finish (satin look) to the Armourall.

Back