Diesel about face the right decision: Nissan

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
Petrol only for new heavy-duty off-roaders but compact SUV set to get diesel.

http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/m...the-right-decision-nissan-20120828-24x8e.html

Nissan Australia insists it has its future model strategy right despite plans to drop the popular diesel options from forthcoming versions of two of its leading heavy-duty off-roaders and instead offer up a diesel option on a city-friendly compact SUV.

The next generation of the Pathfinder mid-size off-roader will be sourced from the US with petrol engines only, while the latest version of the iconic Nissan Patrol will also be petrol-powered - but will be sold alongside the existing diesel-powered model - when it arrives later this year.

This from the same company who got rid of the Pulsar only to admit 8 years after that it was the biggest mistake they'd made in Australia and were looking at ways to revert in by the end of 2012.

It's about time Nissan actually paid market researchers to do a job, and if they are currently paying someone reconsider the pay cheque.

surely the V6 in the D40 would be a good choice in the new patrol?

I do, however, remember reading something a while ago that basically said Nissan only wants to appease the US and Arabs who apparently only want a V8 petrol in the next patrol...

meanwhile at toyota bottles of champagne by the truckload are probably getting opened up right about now.

I think it's a great idea. Shoot yourself in the foot and wait for the surgical unit to send you home.

I agree the V6 diesel ought to be an option in the Patrol as well - it's an effective powerplant in the Navara/Pathfinder and the Trolls have a history of gutless donks (except in the Middle East - saw a YouTube vid of one with a V10 Viper engine in it!).

Only Nissan knows why they're making these decisions.

surely the V6 in the D40 would be a good choice in the new patrol?

I do, however, remember reading something a while ago that basically said Nissan only wants to appease the US and Arabs who apparently only want a V8 petrol in the next patrol...

meanwhile at toyota bottles of champagne by the truckload are probably getting opened up right about now.

Not for long if they keep treating their customers the way they do when it comes to warranty claims.... Toyota living off their good name is slowly fading with each new 4wd model..... U can no longer take their 4wd's out west along the rough roads and expect them to stand up to the rigors of the outback conditions........Their toughness is all in the past now....

Interesting move, I guess they would have done many a study to come to that conclusion so there must be some merit there somewhere.
I didn't have a choice of petrol over diesel when I got my Patrol, they had already discontinued the 4.8. I would have seriously considered the petrol, I have only done 19k kms since May 2011 so don't do enough kms to be terribly worried about the economy, the 3l CRD is woefully bad anyway so whats a bit worse matter?

Thats Nissan saying they dont give a shit about the Australian market.

Even after years of buying Patrols and it got its legendary name from being proven out here and the Middle East, not the US FFS.

Actually the Pathfinder from the US might be the V8 version with the VQ56 which is a reliable economical motor.
If the Pathy came out in the same specs as the US gets I would gladly trade the D40 in on a VQ56 Pathy

Last edited:
Interesting move, I guess they would have done many a study to come to that conclusion so there must be some merit there somewhere.
I didn't have a choice of petrol over diesel when I got my Patrol, they had already discontinued the 4.8. I would have seriously considered the petrol, I have only done 19k kms since May 2011 so don't do enough kms to be terribly worried about the economy, the 3l CRD is woefully bad anyway so whats a bit worse matter?

Lol, my mate has a 4.8L Patrol and it chews about 30L per 100km, I don't think your 3L would be too close to that.

I think it's a great idea. Shoot yourself in the foot and wait for the surgical unit to send you home.

I agree the V6 diesel ought to be an option in the Patrol as well - it's an effective powerplant in the Navara/Pathfinder and the Trolls have a history of gutless donks (except in the Middle East - saw a YouTube vid of one with a V10 Viper engine in it!).

Only Nissan knows why they're making these decisions.

I agree with Very i mean, (extremely old) Tony on this one!

Regards,

RLI
:violin2:

Im never going to drive a 4x4 petrol to tow a trailer all week for work, looks like I will be keeping my d22 or changing to another car manufacturer when the time comes.

Nissan Australia is FARKED in the head......along the same lines as Ford Australia

These days.... if u want a good reliable tough 4wd, don't buy a new one of any brand..... they've all become "soft roaders" so to speak and cannot stand up to the rigors of the Australian outback roads.....

Once the lease is up on our current 4wd, I'll be seriously looking at buying an older model 4wd that I know can handle where I want to go.....

Im never going to drive a 4x4 petrol to tow a trailer all week for work, looks like I will be keeping my d22 or changing to another car manufacturer when the time comes.

Yep - I'll be looking at pajero or defender next time (but hopefully not for a while yet)

Latest posts

Back