Diesel Smoke Normal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Had my 2.5l for a while now and alway wonder since i got it in april if the diesel smoke from the exhaust the appears when the throttle is at 60% onwards was right.

i know they don't have a DPF so they will puff, but none of dads diesel cars over the years do the same except under flat foot load.

someone mentioned its a standard option with the Navara's and not to stress but thought i would ask someone else with one to compare notes

Yeah it is unless you have a dpf. Mine give a nice little puff ever now and then on take off.

You're talking about smoke from just over half throttle - it probably shouldn't do that much. I'd do two (inexpensive) things to it to start with. You'll need:

* A can of electrical contact cleaner from Jaycar ($10) or MAF Sensor Cleaner from SCA ($18)
* Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor-Safe Gasket Cement
* A piece of stainless steel around 80x150mm, 1mm thick or a little more
* Some tools - spanners, a drill

Unbolt the EGR tube from the intake (right hand side) of the engine. It's the gold tube that runs around the front of the motor. Remove the gasket, trace it onto the stainless steel and make a copy of it, but accidentally forget to make the large central hole. Don't bend it! Apply gasket cement to both sides and install it in place of the gasket.

Unbolt the MAFS sensor from just outside the air filter in the tube heading to the turbocharger. You'll see a small thin slot in the side of the long edge - don't stick anything in it, but give the innards a good spray with the contact cleaner. Allow to dry and then reinstall.

Those two items are commonly responsible for extra smoke.

thanks guys,

bought the car as a demo and didn't expect such a new car to be smoking like that considering how its all about emissions now a days...

btw why did they delete the DPF? thought it would be needed to pass euro whatever number they are at.

The Thai models keep it but Spain after 2010 lost it. The dpf are a pain for what I've been told and more to go wrong, its a Ute not a passage car so the euro emissions are a little more relaxed. Yeah mines ex demo and always has dont it just a bit of puff then back to normal. Wouldn't worry about it.

For those that are concerned, or are considering getting a D40 with a DPF, here's some extra food for thought.

My own car has a DPF. I've never had a single issue with it. Only on a very small number of occasions have I deliberately driven with the idea that I had to give the DPF a chance to do a regen if it needed - one recent occasion when I'd been in 4LO for an extended period negotiating muddy tracks up in the Barrington Tops, and once I saw the road widening up I kept the car in low gear and maintained 1600-1700rpm. I didn't see the DPF light - I was just being mindful of it.

More and more passenger diesels will be fitted with these devices to remove the soot from the exhausts. There's a few now - and as issues like being unable to regenerate are worked out by the design teams, and as emission controls tighten more and more, we'll see a rise in the number of DPF-equipped vehicles.

Basically with the D40 from 2006-2009, if you drive it moderately and let it 'cruise' from time to time (1500rpm or more, sustained, light load) it should not cause you a lot of grief.

Every 2.5 i see blows smoke.

Non smoking ZD30 owner ;)

A Di ZD30 doesn't smoke from the factory. Why would it be normal for a commonrail motor to smoke ?

The only Hilux's I have seen smoking are one's that have had a hard life. Cant say I have seen a BT50 or Ranger smoking.

Likewise with Isuzu's, EFI Rodeo's or Colorado's.

I have the same thing with my '06 D40. Under med-high acceleration it gives a good puff of smoke. I assume it is the dpf. I should probably just ease back on my accelerator I 'spose.

I have the same thing with my '06 D40. Under med-high acceleration it gives a good puff of smoke. I assume it is the dpf. I should probably just ease back on my accelerator I 'spose.

Only the auto had the dpf and really if you have a dpf it shouldn't smoke at all

The Thai models keep it but Spain after 2010 lost it. The dpf are a pain for what I've been told and more to go wrong, its a Ute not a passage car so the euro emissions are a little more relaxed. Yeah mines ex demo and always has dont it just a bit of puff then back to normal. Wouldn't worry about it.

Mine is a late 2011 Thai ST-X King Cab and no DPF in sight. It does get smokey with larger throttle openings at low revs but once up in the revs, say 2000 rpm or so if you floor it, hardly any.

Last edited:
My 2009 auto has a DPF. Zero smoke under any situations. The DPF was done away with around the time of the arrival of the 140kW engine and the electronic turbocharger actuator. Different tuning and minor changes to the head not only gave the car 14kW extra but reduced the emissions sufficiently to allow it to operate without the DPF.

Sure the DPF has been a bit of a problem for some, mostly because we're not used to them and we currently HAVE to drive a certain way in order for them to function (remember the 1500rpm+, light engine load, normal engine temps) - but these things are going to be added to more and more cars as the technology improves and they can develop these devices that work without the driver having to worry at all.

Diesel (black) smoke is a by-product of a slightly richer-than-normal fuel mix. It means the turbo hasn't spun up enough, or the EGR is dampening the combustion a little, or there's a chip interfering with the signal from the fuel rail pressure sensor. Diesels are supposed to run a little lean, and when they do they produce a lot of power out of a little fuel.

Yep, also worth remembering that emission controls is not mainly about stopping smoke, there are some specific compounds in the exhaust that must be kept under certain levels, Nitous Oxides being the reason we have EGR valves.

I have a 2013 manual with 40k's and hardly ever see any smoke, it's really only noticeable at night if there is a car right behind me in it's headlights. Smooth driving will help a lot to keep the smoke down, when you plant your foot, the injectors are putting extra fuel in almost immediately, but the turbo takes a bit of time to catch up = rich mixture = smoke.

Latest posts

Back