diff locks

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which locker

• rear air

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • front air

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • front auto locker

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • both front and rear air

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters
It is not a debate ("I do believe that for an off road use it is the best value for money option in the differential area"), forum are for sharing thoughts and help each other, that's what we did.
I post my thoughts, everyone else is welcome to do and think what ever they are pleased to do or think. (still a free country)
Cheers

Manual lockers= ducks nuts but expensive.
Auto lockers = Awesome and cheaper
The Lokka is best value for money.
You will love any locker you put in

Manual lockers= ducks nuts but expensive.
Auto lockers = Awesome and cheaper
The Lokka is best value for money.
You will love any locker you put in

I agree. And at the end of the day a lot of things we do in life all comes down to the cost of things. If there is generally a cheaper alternative for the not so rich, then that is what will be bought. So long as the cheaper option still performs. Which is why people here want to know how they perform. If everyone here was rich, we wouldn't worry about asking about the auto Lokka, would we?

And I know if I was rich I probably wouldn't have a Navara. Probably a solid axle "dual cab" pootrol or cruiser.

+1 for auto Lokka. The price tag was the biggest draw card for me. Less than $600 delivered and about 5hrs spinning the wrenches for me and a mate. Another great thing about the auto Lokka is you don't need to worry about when you need to engage it- just pick your line and drive it. It feels like the front end just pulls to the ground when your crawling over things.

Initially I was concerned about the unlocking operation and their longevity but after some research into the unlocking operation they can't really fail as long as the tolerances are within spec and auto lockers are by no means new technology- they've been around for a while now. You do notice the force through the steering wheel when your turning, but that's the same for any engaged front locker.

Bottom line- $600 almost doubles the capability of your Nav. Can't go past that.

Im sold, going to be ordering an auto locker when I get back from my trip. Just in time for winter!

+1 for auto Lokka. The price tag was the biggest draw card for me. Less than $600 delivered and about 5hrs spinning the wrenches for me and a mate. Another great thing about the auto Lokka is you don't need to worry about when you need to engage it- just pick your line and drive it. It feels like the front end just pulls to the ground when your crawling over things.

Initially I was concerned about the unlocking operation and their longevity but after some research into the unlocking operation they can't really fail as long as the tolerances are within spec and auto lockers are by no means new technology- they've been around for a while now. You do notice the force through the steering wheel when your turning, but that's the same for any engaged front locker.

Bottom line- $600 almost doubles the capability of your Nav. Can't go past that.

They can fail. If you look on the Web/Youtube there is some info and vid's of them failing but u usually got to be doing something extreme for it to happen.... but in saying that, I had one fail on my zook.... The 4 small pins sheered off on mine but I put this down to dodgy pins.... but the pins are the 1st things to break I believe..... but replacing mine a few years ago all has been good....

BTW: How do people find the Front Autolockers in the Mud when heading up/down muddy slopes?? Be interested to hear poeple's experiences.....

that was my main reason for starting this thread was to find out hoe the perform and how the effect the steering etc. I really do like the price tag but I do like the idea of being able to unlock the other style of lockers that are available.

has anyone here broken cvs with an auto locker. I mate had one in a rodeo and it broke them all the time? ( different car I know)

cheers bryan

They can fail. If you look on the Web/Youtube there is some info and vid's of them failing but u usually got to be doing something extreme for it to happen.... but in saying that, I had one fail on my zook.... The 4 small pins sheered off on mine but I put this down to dodgy pins.... but the pins are the 1st things to break I believe..... but replacing mine a few years ago all has been good....

BTW: How do people find the Front Autolockers in the Mud when heading up/down muddy slopes?? Be interested to hear poeple's experiences.....

Good to know thanks Rob. Id also be interested to know if anyone has broken an auto locker in a Nav diff. I have a feeling a CV would fail first. I agree they're not 100% bullet proof, but for the majority of us (not hard core rock crawlers) the auto Lokka is very fit for purpose. Before I bought mine I watched a Nav crawl up a very ugly hill at the old Scenic Rim Park that had minutes before beaten a couple of GQ utes with 35" tires- I know there's a bunch of variables not taken into account there but in term of the effectiveness of vehicles, the Nav with a front auto Lokka performed brilliantly. That same Nav (forum member 180Joe) has had his Lokka in for a few years now with zero problems.

Good to know thanks Rob. Id also be interested to know if anyone has broken an auto locker in a Nav diff. I have a feeling a CV would fail first. I agree they're not 100% bullet proof, but for the majority of us (not hard core rock crawlers) the auto Lokka is very fit for purpose. Before I bought mine I watched a Nav crawl up a very ugly hill at the old Scenic Rim Park that had minutes before beaten a couple of GQ utes with 35" tires- I know there's a bunch of variables not taken into account there but in term of the effectiveness of vehicles, the Nav with a front auto Lokka performed brilliantly. That same Nav (forum member 180Joe) has had his Lokka in for a few years now with zero problems.

Your right in the fact that the CV should go 1st.... I've done a few in the Zook because once u have the lockers in you have to look at doing harder tracks to get the same enjoyment/thrill as u did when u were unlocked and that's where the breakages begin.... I remember thinking that it wasn't quite the same feeling when I conquered a track locked vs conquering when I was unlocked....therefore I started looking for harder tracks to conquer.... and therefore suffered the consequences....

I've now settled down a bit and the last CV breakage was mid last year....

The Lokka shouldn't fail. If anything is going to break then it should be the CV, as this was and still is the weakest link in the driveline. I am happy to leave the CV as the weak point too. Because if you start to strengthen the CV, trying to stop them breaking, then maybe the diff might become the weak point. Replacing a diff centre will cost more $$$ than a CV replacement.

I've had mine in for a little while now and pointed it up some fairly gnarly hills, without breaking anything.

Just thought i would let you guys know if you hadn't seen it about a group buy i'm trying to put together in this thread (http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=19076) as it is along the lines of what is in this thread.

Deal is locker kit for $650 (Landed) + postage. Kit includes:
1x Air locker (knock off arb/ old design of arb locker)
1x air compressor
1x Kit of hose and air solenoid
1x wiring kit for compressor, solenoids, and dash switches

soooo im thinking of maybe going and auto lokka, so you guys out their tell me what you think of them?

bryan

They are great. Adds so much more capability to your Nav for so little $$$.

I haven't been in a situation where I've said "damn I wish I could unlock my diff". No clicking or noises.

Do it.

First decent drive with my auto LOKKA and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a couple of days. Steering so far hasn't been an issue, wants to go straight but I don't have to wrestle the wheel. Yer gonna love it!!!!

Ordered a LOKKA today. Cannot wait to pull my diff out and get it installed

Finally bro! Now you'll be able to hit that rutted hill at the powerlines that best you last time....you remember the one? Where I got up an no one else did! Haha. Did my body lift today, now out Navs are nearly identical.

Latest posts

Back