Difference between 2002 & 2004+ ST/R model D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmacca

Reaction score
Hey Guys.....
Well, I finally found me self a D22 (ST/R model), but it's a 2002 model. I really wanted a 2004+ model but I couldn't past this one up..... too good to let go....

The Question: What difference is there between the different years?

I know central locking is one (the one I got has aftermarket central locking)
Remote side mirrors (mines manual)

How does the interior differ between the years? I know there's no airbags (which is OK for me) but on the passengers side between the top compartment and the glove box, where I assume the Passengers side airbag would go if there was one, there a plastic section that's the colour as the dash, but has a smoother feel or surface than the rest of the dash... is this normal? I hope to pic it up next week so I can post a pic of what I'm talking about....

What other things are Different?

I assume the engines as identical in power/torque?

What about Tyre sizes.. are they the same?

Hi Fellas....

1st time post here as I'm looking / researching in trading in our Car for a Dual Cab 4X4.... My 1st choice is the Navara, but this will depend on what I find out about them.....currently I have a little Zook Vitara that I use as my Toy for Bushbashing and some exploring in SEQ..... We also have a Prado that the missus drives and I'm looking for a Dual Cab 4x4 that will be able to tow our van while being able to carry kids bikes, etc....

I'm looking at the D22/D40 shape Navara's as these are the ones the I reckon look the best and preferably a TD but not quite sure as I've heard/read some concerns in relation to the engines.... V6 may be a option if they are intially cheaper to buy but unsure of the economy of these V6 models.....

The D22 is physically smaller in size than the D40.... is that correct?

Things that I have found out to Date about the D22/D40 DualCabs
(Please correct me if I'm wrong or missed something):

• 1998 - D22 Navara 1st came out in a NonTurbo 3.2D or a 2.4ltr 4cyl Petrol (none of which I really want) - ALL Manuals at this point
  • 2000 - D22 3ltr EFI V6 Navara 1st came out, this replaced the 4cyl Petrol version - ALL Manuals at this point
  • 2002 - D22 saw the 1st D22 with a 3ltr TD (Mechanical Injection) - ALL Manuals at this point
  • 2005 - D40 replaced the D22 with a 4ltr EFI V6 & a 2.5ltr TD (Electronic Injection) with AUTOS now in either Petrol or Diesel versions - ALL D40's are physically BIGGER than the older D22's (ie more 2nd row leg room, etc) -- Is this Bigger SIZE comment correct ??
    (D22 cont'd to be made up to 2006 for the 3ltr TD (Mechanical Injection) & up to 2005 for the 3ltr EFI V6 Navara - ALL still Manuals)
  • 2007 - D22 (Smaller in size) came out with a 2.5ltr TD (Electronic Injection) - Diesel version only and ALL Manuals only as well
  • 2011 - D40 (550) V6 3ltr Turbo Diesel (7spd AUTO ONLY) was introduced // D40 & D22 (Smaller in size) cont'd as in previous years

I've looked a bit through the forum but can't find a post/topic that lists the things to look out for when buying 2nd and what problems certain models may have.... Is there such a list or do I just have to go through the sections individually looking for posts that may point to a potentail problem ?

Any information that owners can give me or point me in the right direction would be much appreciated :thank_you2:

:cheers!:.....

RobM

Rob, have a look on redbook that should tell you most of the differences. You are right about the airbags ans mirrors, you will also find the interior is a different color pre 2004 most were still grey. Also i thinks the earlier ones may have had 255/65/16 tyres.

Bryan

Interiors are different, ZD30 is a EFI engine. Not mechanical like the QD32 and TD27. Not commpn rail but an electronic fuel pump.

The ZD30 blocks had some changes for the better, 2002 interior is grey dash ect and 2004 is the later interior.

There was some wiring changes but nothing major besides the engine mods.

Diffs are still C200 and R180A.

Gearbox is the FSR30 or whatever it is.

Dave.... the 2002 model still has the same 3.0ltr ZD30 motor.... from what I've seen, it's mainly interior that has changed: Airbags; Electric Mirrors; Central Locking; Colour Changes

rob

Interiors are different, ZD30 is a EFI engine. Not mechanical like the QD32 and TD27. Not commpn rail but an electronic fuel pump.

The ZD30 blocks had some changes for the better, 2002 interior is grey dash ect and 2004 is the later interior.

There was some wiring changes but nothing major besides the engine mods.

Diffs are still C200 and R180A.

Gearbox is the FSR30 or whatever it is.

Guys.....

Just some other info regarding the Differences...

in 2004 models any of the following:

> Dash Lighting...... on 2004 models, can u adjust the brightness of your instrument (Dash) lights?
> Is there an interior Clock?
> Has the windscreen wipers have variable speed control?
> Does the Headlights automatically turn off when u turn off the ignition?
> Is sthe Centre Console the Same (ie: lid that lifts up to expose 2 drink holders and a small empty compartment under that?)
> Side Mirrors.... I gather there remote Control? (If yes, could these be fitted to a 2002/3 models)

when I come across more I post, but for now that's all I can think of......

cheers....
rob

Hey Rob, heres some quick answers,

No dash light adjustment
Clock is in the speedo
Wipers have Hi-Lo-intermittent
Headlights stay on when engine turned off, and key removed. (Need an aftermarket warning buzzer)
Console is the same
mirrors are remote

Hope that helps,

Hey Rob, heres some quick answers,

No dash light adjustment
Clock is in the speedo
Wipers have Hi-Lo-intermittent
Headlights stay on when engine turned off, and key removed. (Need an aftermarket warning buzzer)
Console is the same
mirrors are remote

Hope that helps,

Thanks for that Ray...... must have been half a sleep when I looked at the speedo :rofl2:

Latest posts

Back