Difference between models

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe try downloading the spec sheets from the Nissan website and comparing them, there is $20K difference depending on the bits you buy so there can be a lot of differences.

The suspension is set up differently and the new D40s have more ground clearance then the 22s.

More importantly for the people inside, the D40's cabin is larger than the D22, the dual cab D40 is 175mm longer than the dual cab D22, so adults can sit in the rear of the D40 without feeling cramped.

The D40's ride is smoother than the D22 and the D40 has more gadgets in it.

The D40's intercooler is a front mount, the D22's mounts above the engine and isn't as effective.

They SAY the D22 is better off-road, but both need lift kits to go through hard stuff and so you have to throw $$ at them both.

The last difference is the price - the D40 is much more expensive.

The D40's intercooler is a front mount, the D22's mounts above the engine and isn't as effective.

another school of thought is that front mounts are closer to the ground and hot exhaust from other cars so front mounts "can" heat up in traffic and become unable to cool effectively (this is assuming you are doing start stop driving). front mounts also have greater pipe volume to fill with boost so there is lag associated with getting it up to pressure. however on the open road or if cruising & maintaining airflow the front mount to be much more efficient at cooling.

that said, top mounts are sitting above & mounted to the main source of heat - "the engine". there is usually much less lag, but are less efficient at cooling whilst cruising & maintaining airflow.

in Standard trim, they will both do similar jobs with varying levels of comfort. but if you go for a D22 you can spend $20k on it, have an awesome truck and buy a cheap camper for the same price as a D40 STX. i know what i'd go for.

Thanks folks - Some really helpful info here. We were able to purchase the vehicle quite cheaply - it was on special for $28250 with an ABN number & we could take advantage of that because we run a farm. By the time we added tinted windows, a bull bar, keyless entry and a tonneau cover it came to $32000. We can claim the GST off it too so that will bring the total a bit lower still. We felt that it was goo value. It's our first new car at 65 years of age yippee!!

Oh crap 65 years of age and still running farms and 4wd's. I thought this farming life was suppose to be the easier option, what the hell am I doing.

I wouldn't let my kid even play with a D22. I've actually got a remote Xterra I plan on keeping to make sure the D22 is avoided

Welcome Paul ...

D22's and D40's seem to be good if used off road ... it really comes down to personal choice and leg room i reckon.

D40's do have a few more gadets than the D22's as Old_tony said. But again - its personal choice.

Really depends what you need your Ute to do.
If its for farm use, both would be good.
If its for Off-Road use, both would be good.
If its for a growing family, i've chosen a D40 for the cabin size and for leg room.

Latest posts

Back