Difficulty selecting GEAR when stopped??????

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawry

Reaction score
Hey guys

Have noticed when my car is at temperature or on a decent 20-30 minute drive
its hard to get into gear when stopped/stationary in traffic, the occasional stop its fine just prolonged stop start crawling.
Changing gear when driving is perfect, same as always, never crunches.

It also never crunches when its stopped but the gate is very stiff....
as soon as you get going and change from 1st to second its back to normal??

To me it seems like the clutch isn't disengaging at low rpm.
The clutch is a 4terrain with only 25k on it with NO signs of wear, still bites 1 inch from the floor.

I suspect is may be the Clutch slave cylinder or clutch master???
theres no signs of oil leaking... or anything else noticeable.

Does the Clutch slave or master run of the brake booster? that could explain the lack of disengagement when stopped???

Hey guys

Have noticed when my car is at temperature or on a decent 20-30 minute drive
its hard to get into gear when stopped/stationary in traffic, the occasional stop its fine just prolonged stop start crawling.
Changing gear when driving is perfect, same as always, never crunches.

It also never crunches when its stopped but the gate is very stiff....
as soon as you get going and change from 1st to second its back to normal??

To me it seems like the clutch isn't disengaging at low rpm.
The clutch is a 4terrain with only 25k on it with NO signs of wear, still bites 1 inch from the floor.

I suspect is may be the Clutch slave cylinder or clutch master???
theres no signs of oil leaking... or anything else noticeable.

Does the Clutch slave or master run of the brake booster? that could explain the lack of disengagement when stopped???

Clutch master is separate unit, next to your BMC.

If you suspect it not disengading properly and you bit point is low the the bottom, then you might want to adjust your clutch rod.. i havent looked on my nav, but going off ever other nissan - look at the clutch pedal and it will had a rod going into the firewall, you can adjust this...in your case, make it longer.

ps, also check for leaks on the master and slave and line..... losing pressure will cause it to not open fully.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago and it turned out to be neva seize on the input shaft and it would bind up one time you depress the clutch and not the next. fj

Could be spigot bearing.Iit is a bush not bearing on Nissans tho.

I would be leaning towards the slave or master cylinder. It is possible for the fluid to by pass the piston without any external leakage.

Taking up 1" off the floor doesn't sound like there is much release on the the clutch.

well it more like 2 inches just checked.
and no it doesn't make any difference once it starts sticking if i pump the pedal a few times.

daily driving from point to point is fine, its just after a decent trip, gearbox hot etc and run into traffic. It takes a few pops of the clutch to start getting tight.

its just strange as its perfect when moving, its a nice new gearbox feel not like on idle.

definitely no oil around slave cylinder i'll have another look at the master, didn't see anything and i haven't smelt any oil, theirs also no change in the clutch pedal from air entering.

speed or movement related, so if the slave or master doesn't run of a the BMC then its not booster related.

wish there was a way to grease the spigot without separating the bell housing :(

In that case I'd say spigot too. Either binding or the wrong type of grease was used when the clutch was done and when it gets decently hot it is getting sticky...

We installed the clutch, used the grease that came with it. It must have dispersed. I'll just see if it frees up over time. Cheers everyone :)

Don't know if it will help at all but try changing your clutch fluid i did mine a week or so a go and made a huge difference in how the clutch felt. My fluid was filthy as in really filthy I'm sure its been in for the whole 165,000k.
Maybe air in the line?? i don't really know but maybe worth a small amount of effort just to see.

Latest posts

Back