dig options unit vs. ipod compatibility

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eug

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would you consider a headunit that after powering down (i.e. turning off the car) to restart the previously played song from 00:00:00 to be normal?

I am currently discussing with the seller about a separate issue. Mine not only restarts from 00:00:00 but also from Track 1.

The seller agrees that restarting from Track 1 is a problem but that restarting the song from 00:00:00 is apparently normal. I somewhat disagree as our Subaru OEM unit will continue from exactly where we left off prior to turning off the unit/vehicle.

This obviously can be frustrating if you were half way through an ebook or an exceptionally long mp3 as everytime you start the car you play from the beginning.

What is considered the norm here?

Cheers
Eug

Going back to the start of the album definitely sucks but going back to the start of a track although not always ideal is something I've gotten used to with all but 1 of my Iplods. Sure I can pause the song and turn the Iplod off but if I just turn the things off next time it comes back on it goes back to the start of the song.

Going back to the start of a track on the car head unit I'd probably live with but going back to the first track I'd definitely be wanting something done.

My head unit and my MP3 both pick up from where they left off -- I would ditch them if they did anything different.

Krafty: Interesting you say that, what headunit do you have that starts at the beginning of the track? Pausing the ipod and turning it off does not work in my instance.

nakedape: I agree. It's driving me nuts. I have to fast forward everytime I restart the car.

Playing CDs always seem to have 'last track memory', I would have thought that this be the norm.

No my head unit doesn't do it, 3 out of 4 Ilpods I own do it whenever I turn them off and I just live with it because it adds to the growing number of reasons I'd be happy to piss the Iplods off, but until that happens I just live with it.

If my head unit went back to the start of the song it was on I'd live with it, if it went back to the start of the disc/playlist I'd either get it replaced or find a new one.

Ah right... that could just be the battery of the ipod itself draining to 0%.

I'm giving the seller a chance to rectify it, so far a new ipod cable and an update. However I don't know if a refund would be possible on the basis that it restarts the song from the beginning?

No it's only when I turn them off which I do after every use. If I hit the pause button before I turn them off it stays where it is. Could well be in a setting, could well be a feature I have no idea I only use the Iplods because they were given to me and I'm too lazy to replace something that works (even partially) with something else.

Refund would be based on how long you've had it and whether you can actually find any documentation stating that it's not normal operation. Given the way these things are mass produced and flooded across the ebay market by thousands of sellers with little indication of their exact origins it would be hard to prove it wasn't made in some little sweatshop where an entire batch was made with that feature. Years ago many cheap portable CD players didn't have a memory.

Ahh right, my ipod doesn't do that.

I've had it since February this year. I inquired once and was told to wait for an update, now I've got the update and no change in function.

Well I don't doubt the dig option units are mass produced overseas the seller prides themselves on being Aussie based for support.

Years ago 'memory' that might not have been the norm, but I certainly expect it as a minimum now. Just wondering if others feel the same as the seller thinks it's a normal function.

You do realise that the dig options ones are just rebranded imports? The seller himself might offer aussie support (which given the way ebay works could mean he lives anywhere in the world) but he's just a guy who can answer emails.

I'm not suggesting it is normal operation but they are cheap imported and mass produced units rebadged under many different names worldwide, more than likely the reason the guy is so slow are responding to actual technical questions is because he's a drop shipper with no technical ability.

Of course. I'm not under any illusions that it is made in Australia. Just a bloke who purchases the hardware and adds his own customised software and images. I would have thought he'd be able to program the functionality into the coding or something.

Last edited:
My Pioneer unit restarts the track from where it left off. That behaviour has been verified across 2 different models of ipod and one model of iphone over the last 5 years. iPhone - if i use a playslist on another device (eg bluetooth streaming to my motorbike headset), then it will pickup that track from the point it stopped.

Not that its a good comparison but my car pc will play everything from where it left off apon resuming/car startup...I would have assumed that this was the norm for all car stereos....a sterio with a ipod input is really just reading the i device like a flash drive...how does yours deal with a usb drive...same or perfectly?

thanks camo & doc, it helps. my old tape deck had memory :D

right so i've just tried a few different sources for music
CD player: track and time memory
micro sd card: track and time memory
usb: track and time memory
ipod: no track and no time memory

dvd: movies have memory
sd card: movies have memory
usb: movies have memory

frustrating as i use my iphone and ipod regularly. one can probably assume if the other sources have track and time memory then the ipod/iphone should be the same.

frustrating indeed...are you detaching the ipod/iphone before or after you leave the car,or does it sit there attached till you return and restart the car...most players have to remount the drive/ipod apon startup but if is mearly in a standby mode,it should just work same as the usb.could be a bug in his breed of sterios,

I have tried almost every combination possible (we actually crossed off the various combos). Pausing before powering down, stopping then removing before powering down, powering down then removing, etc.

The ipod stays in standby mode (when connected and the unit powers down), but like you said appears to remount when it's powered up again. Our Subaru OEM unit seems to do it fine and our home audio systems seem to handle the memory without an issue.

Here is the sellers response:
"Unfortunately with Chinese products you can’t assume one function will be the same as another. Especially with Apple related which can cause changes due to licensing related issues."

Personally I don't think they should advertise it as being ipod compatible if it keeps resetting the playlist. It's basically to the point where I don't use that function because it's so frustrating to use.

Latest posts

Back