"Dipped" Monster Rides Hilux - Matte Black Plastidip

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monster Rides

Reaction score
Hey Fellas,

We have just sprayed our Hilux with Plastidip and thought a few of you might be interested to see the project unfold.

The vehicle as it started before the Plastidip was sprayed on:

IMG_0928.jpg

In these first photo's we see the preparation and then the first application of the Plastidip on the truck.
Basically aside from any bodywork you might do to pull out large dings you just need to meticulously clean the vehicle and then hit it with a anti-static prep cleaner to remove any wax, grease, oil and other contaminants from the paint.

IMG_1749_zpsf8dbbc83.jpg

We removed the headlights and grill to make it easier to spray, and the snorkel, weather sheild, scoop and flares as well:

IMG_1752_zpscfbe0527.jpg

IMG_1756-1_zps5b2eea96.jpg

The removal of these parts adds a fair bit of time and therfore expense to a Plastidip application.

After a few coats we realised there was a problem with the finish so we decided to peel certain sections of the truck as they didn't have a very smooth finish and looked pretty average.
You have issues with overspray causing a furry and uneven finish if the air/Plastidip mixture isn't right, as well as the air pressure and humidity etc. You need to adjust the amount of thinners used and it's pretty precise stuff to get a really nice smooth finish.

You need practice and experimentation to get this stuff to go on smoothly and evenly and we wasted a lot of product with this trial and error.
I honestly think on large jobs like full vehicle re-sprays this is a job best left to professionals with experience with the product... or it could get really expensive in mistakes for guys trying it at home. You'll churn through a lot of Plastidip while experimenting to get the finish smooth.
Smaller jobs like grills, mirrors and wheels will be ok for a crack at home... as they are smaller and it's less to peel if you mess it up.

IMG_1761_zpseee9fff0.jpg

IMG_1762_zpsca36f4f5.jpg

Here we see a edge on the roof that did not peel nicely... Razor is needed on most gap sections.

photo3-13_zps8b1fa5b4.jpg

photo2-15_zps180dee22.jpg

Masking tape gum is hard to get off the Plastidip... use low tack masking tape for sure, avoid taping it where possible. You can also see some "fur" and "pimples" in the dip where overspray and dust/static were issues with the application, we peeled this and started again:

photo1-17_zpsea2e53b1.jpg

The Plastidip itself once sprayed in when applied in sufficient coats is very durable and strong... the stretch is amazing when you are peeling it.
It's doesn't peel very easy and really is like shit on a blanket... it's on there pretty snug and tight.

IMG_1768_zpscede49a8.jpg

The peeled plastidip:

IMG_1773_zpsfbbbccb9.jpg

This was a flaw in the application... so we hammered this little hole in the Plastidip with the high pressure cleaner and the hole only really double in size after a good 30 odd seconds of direct punishment right on the hole... You would struggle to lift this stuff with normal pressure cleaning:

photo4_zps62382148.jpg

Here you see the truck on the second round of application with the finish much smoother... still a long way from perfect and the quality of the stuff you see on YouTube... it's a real learning curve spraying this stuff:

photo2-4_zps1131b128.jpg

photo1-4_zps34f831c7.jpg

photo5-10_zpsc39fb99f.jpg

photo4-10_zps3963dfd3.jpg

photo5-7_zps5d648e63.jpg

Some from a carpark:

photo3-1_zps691f6ae2.jpg

photo4_zps8015082c.jpg

I don't mind the antibling/bling look of the polished wheels with the matte black duco... the contrast is pretty cool, but thought it might be cool to see the truck in all black... so here is the Death Metal version :twisted:

Off to the tyre fitters with some Method Race Wheels "Double Standards" in Matte Black, 17 x 8.5" with a 0 offset... and Mickey Thompson MTZ 33x12.5R17's / 305/65R17's... they are about 30-40% tread.

photo1-16_zps303c66e6.jpg

photo2-14_zpsb4b4556d.jpg

A comparison between the ATZ 325/50R18's and the MTZ 305/65R17's, both have similar tread wear:

photo3-12_zps4c170e16.jpg

photo1-15_zps4da089df.jpg

The 325's have such a square shoulder and wide footprint... G I R T H which is hard to beat!

Photo9-03-1364923PM_zpsc4303778.jpg

Photo9-03-1323928PM_zpsd03a15b1.jpg

Overall I'm pretty happy with the progression of the Plastidip project on the truck... The product seems very durable and should provide some decent protection from minor bush striping and stone chips as well as a different look for your truck.

The product is available in a range of matte and satin colours, as well as clear for a matte or satin/frosted look on your current paint colour.

We will look to take the truck out bush over the next few weeks and torture test the Plastidip and see how it hold up.
To date the pressure cleaning testing has gone well and the tear and puncture resistance seems pretty good.
Obviously the thicker this product is applied with more layers the stronger it will be.

Expect to pay about $1500 -$2000 to have your truck dipped... this service will be available in Sydney shortly and is ready to roll in Melbourne right now.
More details on this service once we have tested the product a bit more and can show all of it's pro's and cons so guys can make informed decisions on the real facts, rather than some of the YouTube misconceptions.

Cheers,
Matt

Great write-up Matt. Please do keep us updated regarding durability and the roll out of this product across the country!

Very interesting product but can't help wondering so I'll ask, given the "dipping" requires a car spray why wouldn't you just get the car re-sprayed with paint which would presumably be harder wearing?

Very interesting product but can't help wondering so I'll ask, given the "dipping" requires a car spray why wouldn't you just get the car re-sprayed with paint which would presumably be harder wearing?

I was thinking that to but didn't want to ask it since I figured I might sound like an idiot.

So what exactly does it do? Is it like a protective coating over your paint? Then pull it off when you want to sell the car and magically no chip or scratches?

pretty much, means you can paint your car with half the prep work and peel off when your sick of it or wanna change colors

I did my side mirrors and grille in black Plastidip, i reckon it was a dream to lay down, can't say i'd like to do an entire car in it though.

I did mine early January, still in perfect condition. No chips etc.

The benefits of using plastidip, is that there is bugger all prep time, compared to painting a car. There is no need to mask up lights and glass and stuff like that. Well not when you watch the videos and see how they do it. The other thing is a full respray at the panel shop will set you back around 10k. The dip in the states can be had for around $400 for a whole car, including the gun. However, will be at least double or triple the price here. Then if you are going to pay a shop to do it, i guess they can charge what they want. I wouldnt be paying more then 2.5k for a finished product though.

Best thing is, if you get sick of it you can just change colours, or peel it off to reveal that like-new paint job underneath.

i do alot of tracks that are over grown with biddibush and blackberrys which leave a lot of scratches it would be great for protection against this i think depending on how long it lasts

Hey Fellas,

Thanks for the comments and questions. Some answers for you here:

Great write-up Matt. Please do keep us updated regarding durability and the roll out of this product across the country!

Will do... the truck will be on show at Tuff Truck as well for any going that want to come and have a look.

Is it invisible to radar and infrared:biggrin:

One way to find out! I doubt it... though at night it is pretty stealth.

have you tried spraying it through a normal spray gun or a normal gravity feed spray gun?

Yeah... the normal spray gun is a temperamental beast with the plastidip.

We found the Wagner/Earlex style spray paint stations to work the best.

I was thinking that to but didn't want to ask it since I figured I might sound like an idiot.

So what exactly does it do? Is it like a protective coating over your paint? Then pull it off when you want to sell the car and magically no chip or scratches?

pretty much, means you can paint your car with half the prep work and peel off when your sick of it or wanna change colors

The benefits of using plastidip, is that there is bugger all prep time, compared to painting a car. There is no need to mask up lights and glass and stuff like that. Well not when you watch the videos and see how they do it. The other thing is a full respray at the panel shop will set you back around 10k. The dip in the states can be had for around $400 for a whole car, including the gun. However, will be at least double or triple the price here. Then if you are going to pay a shop to do it, i guess they can charge what they want. I wouldnt be paying more then 2.5k for a finished product though.

Best thing is, if you get sick of it you can just change colours, or peel it off to reveal that like-new paint job underneath.

Pretty much spot on there with those answers.

Minimal prep needed.
Remove it whenever you like with no damage to the paint.
Helps to protect the paint from bush stripes, stone chips and bird poo.
Cost effective
Looks cool
Cheap way of completely changing the look of your truck and seeing something new and fresh.

I did my side mirrors and grille in black Plastidip, i reckon it was a dream to lay down, can't say i'd like to do an entire car in it though.

I did mine early January, still in perfect condition. No chips etc.

Good stuff... out of the pressure pack on small items it's pretty easy to apply as you found... the larger sections prove more difficult to get a nice even finish.

i do alot of tracks that are over grown with biddibush and blackberrys which leave a lot of scratches it would be great for protection against this i think depending on how long it lasts

It will be good to see how this product holds up over the coming months in the bush, beach and car wash.

Thanks,
Matt

Latest posts

Back