Do I need Snorkel?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turn the head around, and you have lost the benefit to some positive flow at higher vehicle speeds.

^so now there is a benefit to having a snorkel...

Test scenario: Vehicle stationary
: OEM snorkle head/scoop removed
: Engine @ operating temp.. 88 deg C
: 2008 2.5 L CRTD
: Air intake temp...................32 deg C
: OEM paper element
: using "TURBOMETER.tm. wind speed indicator @
the head/scoop upper joint.

AIRSPEED...........KPH ........ F/min

@idle ............... 26.08...... 1,150

@1000rpm ...... 43.52..... 1,950

@2000rpm ..... 53.6..... 2,300

@2500rpm ..... 72.3...... 2,950

@3000rpm ...... 84.8 ...... 3,650.

Turbometer accurate to +/- 2kph.

Im not sure what your test is trying to prove?

prolly you need to go through the whole thread that came from...
and it has been mentioned a few times in recent threads(positive air...ram air) so i retrieved those results
in short there is the believers and there is the non believers of the "Ram air effect".

Last edited by a moderator:
lol what's going on with these two ^
a few threads are getting dicey... *popcorns ready*

Those figures prove something - with an opening no bigger than the snorkel tube itself, the "ram air effect" might be marginally positive from about 50km/h and over, but the difference is so small that it's not worth worrying about. At best, it would ease the effects of the restriction through the snorkel itself.

As for how restrictive the snorkel is, just compare the internal diameter of the turbocharger intake with the internal diameter of the snorkel. I'm betting the snorkel is bigger = no real restriction. The length of the tube does come into play (frictional coefficient of the air mass within proximity to the tube walls is magnified over distance) but we're not talking about kilometres of piping so the difference isn't going to be huge. It might exist and even be measurable, but it's not going to be large enough to warrant thousands of 4by owners to ditch their snorkels in favour of something less restrictive.

I do think there's an issue with the water valves in the air box and the gaps in the pipework leading to the airbox. These could be sealed better. Air does, like fluids, follow the path of least resistance, so even if the snorkel-equipped airbox is immersed in water it's going to get MOST of its air from the snorkel. But not all. And that last bit is the bit I'd be concerned about.

I think a one-way valve attached to the base of the airbox to release the water would be the best approach, and thoroughly seal the rest of it. Some people have already done this - a serious water crossing without doing this would, I imagine, provide you with all the hindsight needed to make you wish you'd done it too (as well as the hefty repair bill).

You are right Tony, but its the bends that offer the most restriction. Not so much the length of the pipe.

So, after a long winded argument the fact still remains.
Snorkels are there to stop water ingestion. And may actually reduce engine performance through restriction OR balance it out with some positive airflow at high vehicle speeds.

Of the cars I have run with and without, there has always been a performance hit. But I dont have over 80kph of vehicle speed ramming air down the head.

Something else has come to mind...

A statement was made along the lines of the factory air intake being in quite a good position for preventing most of the crap getting into the air box.

Given that a fair bit of the plastic inner guard is cut away in the installation of an aftermarket bullbar, I wonder if fitting a bullbar has a detrimental effect to the quality of air & whether it would be more prone to water ingestion than a vehicle without a bullbar fitted?

Something else has come to mind...

A statement was made along the lines of the factory air intake being in quite a good position for preventing most of the crap getting into the air box.

Given that a fair bit of the plastic inner guard is cut away in the installation of an aftermarket bullbar, I wonder if fitting a bullbar has a detrimental effect to the quality of air & whether it would be more prone to water ingestion than a vehicle without a bullbar fitted?

could well be so,
tho if it is, I've fixed that by fitting a snorkel as i dont like the air in the wheel well anyway...the lower to the ground you go, the more filth you pick up,
(and if bugs are a worry, some mesh will fix that tho i must say that cleaning your filter of a few dryed up bugs is a damn site easier than trying to clean that spattered mess all over the front end and in your cooling fins,
speaking of bugs in fins, the heat exchange out of an IC wont be too good in an IC full of bugs)
as for a supposed performance loss...well between my snorkel fitted '22 and our no snorkel work '22 its unoticeable, but some ramair effect is said to be gained for the snorkel fitted vehicle above 80kmh...believe it or not!

I have heard many times of GQ snorkels being restrictive.

However the snorkels for GQ's were mainly designed for NA engines.

Guys, just do the maths on Ram Air..all the calcs are available if you search.
If you look at my signature you'll see why I have been very interested in this for many years on a NA motor....

I've done the calculations & computations & these are the best designed snorkels for both stationary airflow & "ram air" effect (when reversing).

Actually one of a host of pictures in an e-mail I received associated with the Thai floods.

Attachments

• Thai floods.jpg
    Thai floods.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
they look like an actual snorkel you use when going swimming lol must have some serious water crossings in mind, might be the new breed of boat people headed our way

DAM!!!!! I've been fitting up snorkels the hard way!!!!! I should of just ripped the bonnet off and be done with it........ next time.... there's always next time.....

I've done the calculations & computations & these are the best designed snorkels for both stationary airflow & "ram air" effect (when reversing).

Actually one of a host of pictures in an e-mail I received associated with the Thai floods.

that's just gangsta yeah fuck vic roads lol
:rambo::rambo::rambo:

Latest posts

Back