Downey Engineering employer, 03 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just recently purchased my D22 for 12 k with 127000 ks on the clock. The Ute is in great condition, however all second hand cars will require personalisation. I've already hooked in and altered a few things. Firstly I never liked the tappet cover breather hose set up, how it runs the blow by oil into the turbo compressor housing intake, this tends to clog up the cross over pipe full of oily gunk, which the turbo will actually force into the combustion chamber and burn. However, when a diesel engine is burning extra fuel than needed, it will hotter than usual, and typically these ZD30 engines will run hot on the 3rd and 4th cylinders. This can actually contribute the the head cracking problem that is common with the ZD30. So I have fitted a catch can with a drain straight back into the sump. I also made a blocking plate for the egr valve as this can also contribute to the head cracking by running hot exhaust gasses back through the combustion chamber. Another change, I pulled out the huge secondary muffler off the back, and made a pipe to poke straight out the back. The engine noise didnt change, but it shed a heap of weight. I also wired in a new Bluetooth stereo, and a uniden UHF radio. Both handy units on 4wd trips and long drives. Because I'm a mechanic, I always have a 5-600 kilo tool box in the back, which has flattened the springs leaving me next to no clearance for the bush, so the next mod will be to roll more curve in the springs and re-temper them to hold the back end up when loaded. Still trying to find or design a big enough oven to cook the springs!

That's it so far though, I'm also looking to get a steel bullbar and some side rails second hand, any ideas or questions just throw them out there :)

cheers for the welcome everyone. and thanks ourd40 for the link.

latest news is I overcooked an off camber corner up the scrub, and rolled my nav. not happy. but Ive already bought another one of the same model with a blown engine. looking to pull the engine out, rebuild it and do up the head, and get back out there.

Would anyone know where i can get a hold of a workshop manual for the zd30 engine? I'll need the spec tolerances of different pieces so to know what needs replacing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks charlie, just found it. and yea its a bit difficult to navigate but i'm working it out. Can't seem to locate big end bearing and piston to bore tolerances though, any ideas where I might find them?

Back