Driving from Thailand to Oz

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It shows that nothing much has changed in 2 years FB. When I brought mine stock was scarce because of the GFC they reckoned and in May 09 they were still trying to run out 08 models. I chose mine from boat stock and still waited 6 weeks if I wanted to choose a colour the weight would have been about 10 weeks.

I originally wanted the blue I ended up with but the day I signed the paperwork I supposedly only had a choice of Black and the dark blue so I said either was fine. Then on the Monday when the sales droid rang to update me on the Monday I told him I preferred black, he told me he's see what he could do, two days later he rang to say the Blue Opal was on the boat if I wanted it so I said yes.

Actually it is a largely cultural thing in many ways......

Personally I have several decades experience of promoting events - rock concerts, green events, motoring, charities and sailing etc. I'm experienced and quite well connected in that respect.

I have outline support from the BBC (natal history) and an Oz channel, several accessory manufacturers, electronics companies camping equipment etc have also expressed an interest.

It seems that I might be better off contacting Nissan Australia. The Thai idea of a "promotion" is to ask a local MAFIA member and a few monks to attend a large meal with balloons. Marketing in Thailand is in its infancy.

With any "charitable" event the crucial point is when enough people believe that enough other people are coming on board - that is the tipping point and we haven't reached that yet.

in the end the vehicle is not crucial, but it would be nice to get a manufacturer on board. It's not about directly or instantly affecting vehicle sales - Nissan would not be looking at an instant result there - that is not what the project is about - it is a question of generating a positive corporate image for the products involved - as Nissan have a whole department promoting and sponsoring "green" projects in isn't hard to make a connection

BTW - the D22 is no longer sold in Thailand or I believe ASEAN.

We did a country music concert a number of years ago and we did the usual and approached both Nissan and Yota for sponsorship, 6 months of arguing with Nissan and we got nowhere, 1 meeting with Toyota and they became major sponsor and put $50K into the kitty for us to make things move.

Despite liking my Nissan I'd never go back to them for sponsorship deals, their attitude was on a par with one particular band from Victoria who tried to screw our Youth group for $13K just so they could play a charity gig we organised. Wannbe poofters realeased one album had success and figured they could step on everyone who helped them get that album out.

Nissan Australia? I don't think these companies have a uniform approach world wide. Another factor has been the tsunami which has thrown a lot of the vehicle companies into disarray as many of the electronics component manufacturers were affected by it.

Of course there is corporate culture - I've been talking to Nissan and they haven't been good but neither have Toyota. Mitsu are quite funny as they don't seem to be able to get their head round it.
However Nissan basically lost the sale of a new car through their own incompetence.

the one thing o my side is time - I really don't have a start date nor will I until the situation solidifies a bit more.

Last edited:
I understand the Japan issue but at the same time think that's only a small part and they use it as a major excuse.

Look at Toyota in Australia, they sponsor so many things from the Country Music Awards early in the year to the Grand Finals late in the year and where are Nissan, sure they have a few sponsorship deals here and that but very little with the prominence of the event Toyota does.

Maybe if Nissan worldwide didn't waste money on ridiculous court cases to get a domain name it appears they don't have rights too maybe they could afford to get their name out there on more events which becomes good PR.

Yes - I must say I think that in Thailand they made an extra effort to blame the tsunami on any shortcomings within the company - and not just Nissan but anyone dealing with the public found it a great excuse.

Virtually all the pickups you see regularly are manufactured here - actually it's CKD based with an increasing amount of stuff actually manufactured here but the Japanese have kept a lot of the hi-tech stuff at home. Having worked in many large factories in Thailand I can understand why.... but the the tsunami would deffo have had an effect of completion of vehicles.

I had a partner involved in the Australian end but he failed to come up with the goods - I do't think he really appreciated what was involved - so it may be down to me to sort that.
As I said before the vehicle isn't everything and there is a lot to be said for a 31 year old car from a point of view of entering Oz. This would mean concentrating on the smaller sponsors. I'm meeting with some outdoor equipment suppliers next week - (they might even have a vehicle!)

it is also true that worldwide some companies peruse a policy of sponsorship to promote their public image - social responsibility programs - which both Nissan and Toyota have in Thailand. I also haven't tackled the company in Malaysia r Indonesia yet.........

In some ways I would reckon that using an old Trol or Cruiser would be better advertising for either company than using a new car. We all know that new models with good support can do such a trip but being able to say "our 20 yr old" vehicle did it to my way of thinking is worth a lot more in the publicity stakes.

Levi jeans ran a series of ads in the seventies showing worn and secondhand product. but a lot of manufacturers don't like this idea as they want people to buy new product rather than keep the old one or buy second hand.
There are also green issues with older vehicles - Aussies as individuals have the largest carbon foot print on earth and it is a country where second-hand cars hold their value and continue to be used for decades.
However a vehicle over 31 years old bypasses much of the enormous red tape involved in brining a car into the country.
Originally I wanted to impost the vehicle but that would involve either conveying to Aussie compliance or buying an Aussie spec vehicle - which would ethnically be illegal in Thailand.
I like the idea of a REAL 4wd though and the simplicity of a naturally aspirated diesel.

BTW - can one post a photo directly into this forum or does it have to be via a URL?

Last edited:
You can use your own photo album, there is instructions in the Support section, or you can use photobucket or the like of which there is also instructions in the support thread.

Part of a sponsored Nature Trail to draw attention to the various conservation projects in ASEAN and Oz.
If anyone is iterated they need a vehicle and some interest - and knowledge - of ecology and wildlife conservation.

Latest posts

Back