Driving lights - Bigger better and more of them.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here endeth the lesson though, because I don't want to be accused of preaching to those who don't want to hear or aren't interested.

Mate, this issue is important. It can mean the difference between life and death, between a cast on the leg for 6 weeks or a wheelchair forever, or the difference between getting the vehicle repaired under your insurance, or having to go bankrupt because not only did your insurance NOT cover you, but the other guys took you to the cleaners for their vehicle, and lose of income, and stress, and anything else they can gouge out of you.

"Doing it right" avoids the ugly side that none of us WANT to look at and some refuse to admit. If we can bring it to everyone's attention - and I'm not specifically talking about Aido here, I'm talking about anyone that is reading this at all - then maybe they'll think twice, maybe they'll change things a bit, and maybe they'll save themselves a bunch of dough and heartache.

Preach away, mate. I'm listening. And since I know where you're coming from, I know that your intentions are better than good.

It's similar to the hood ornament argument - if you hit a pedestrian with a car that has a hood ornament, there's a good chance that they will be very badly injured, compared to an impact where there was no ornament.

Is that only an argument about the hood ornaments or is there legislation about those too because I'd be seriously pissed off if they make me take the hood ornament of my $600,000 Rolls Royce (especially if I ever got around to buying one). The Bulldog on the Mack doesn't worry me it's too high to pose a problem.

It's law. Go up to any modern vehicle that has a hood ornament and you'll discover that a light push will make it flip backwards (or it's breaking the law). That's why Jaguar lost the cat on the bonnet, in favour of the flat, round symbol.

This particular law is quite old now, you don't really hear much about it these days, because hood ornaments are so ... well, 1950s.

I know a guy who hit and killed a pedestrian in his Landcruiser, Big ass bullbar, winch, lockers, 35" tyres, big lift, full on mud truck.
He was doing 62 in a 60 k zone.
He did not go to jail. And I have never heard of anyone going to jail for making modifications to their vehicle. Driving like a dick then "yes"

Now let's talk about lights F.F.S!!!

Actually the discussion about "things sticking up above the bonnet/bar" is quite relevant to driving lights that are mounted on top of the bar. I was looking at Para 27(a) of the NSW Vehicle Inspector's Bulletin 05 - Protrusions On The Front Of Vehicles (Nov 2007) and it instructs the vehicle inspector to reject any vehicle that has lights, fishing rod holders or antenna mounts that sit forward or above the bullbar.

This is the same rule that is used by roadside inspectors to issue defect notices ("roadside inspectors" may be RTA Inspectors or NSW Police). I'm absolutely certain that insurance assessors would be aware of this as well.

Going by the law does that mean wind deflectors on bonnets are also illegal, obviously if there was a bullbar or nudge bar installed the wind deflector wouldn't be protruding past the bar but without a bar that essentially makes any wind deflector a protrusion. Being plastic they'd surely break on impact but they'd potentially be dangerous when breaking into sharp pieces too.

I do know of guys being issued fines for having lights or fishing rod holders on their bullbars but in none of the cases was that the reason they were pulled over in the first place. Just like I know guys who have been fined for lights on the roll bars, just because people are seen to be doing it doesn't really mean everyone will get away with it all the time.

Here's a cut and paste from the same document.

Requirement

Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007 requires the following:

Para 25 (1) Protrusions
‘An object fitted to a vehicle must be designed, built and fitted to the vehicle in such a way that minimises the likelihood of injury to a person making contact with the vehicle’.

Note: Para 25 (1) does not apply to an object fitted to a vehicle designed before 1965 and the object was part of the design of the vehicle, or the object was fitted to the vehicle in accordance with the law in place where the object was fitted.

Further in Para 27:

Fitting of accessories

Of particular concern are the ways in which items protruding forward of the bumper or bull bar are fitted eg. accessory fittings attached to the exterior of a vehicle such as brackets supporting aerials and lights.

Also of concern are bull bars that have sharp edges and pointed corners or bull bars fitted with accessory attachments such as fishing rod holders, lights and mounting brackets for such fittings, and any fittings that affect the field of view of the driver.

Reasons for rejection under Para 25(1) are provided in Rules for Authorised Inspection Stations (Light Vehicles) - Rule No. 105.04, and in Rules for Authorised Inspection Stations Heavy Vehicles - Rule 505.01. This bulletin provides further information to ensure the consistent application of the Rules to bull bars, accessory fittings and the manner of their attachment/s.

They go on to say that

Reasons for rejection
1. Any attachment or protrusion projecting forward of bull bar (see Figure 1).

I've attached figure 1.

My major concern here - and don't mistake this for pushing any other sort of barrow - is that it could save a bunch of money and heartache if we do it the right way.

Attachments

• protrusions_figure_1.JPG
    protrusions_figure_1.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 48
Note: Para 25 (1) does not apply to an object fitted to a vehicle designed before 1965............

Theres my out clause!!!!
The D22 was definitely designed before 1965!!!!
I believe the up-specced Nissan Cedric trumped it in sales way back then and so it was shelved until humankind evolved into more gullible creatures allowing it to be re-released in more recent times. :smile:

But seriously. Tony I linked to the equivalant Vic roads doccuments earlier and noted that I would comply with them. Whilst I still appreciate everybody's input, can we stop pointing out what cant be done and instead find a solution that fits within the guidlines? Think positive!

Theres a whole other thread pointing out legalities and the like.

Hey Rescue - is there one LED light (as in, a single unit) available that would suffice as a reverse/work light? I have a Rhino basket mounted to my D40 on bars and am looking to mount something that I can use as primarily a camp/work/area light, but also a high-mounted reverse light for off-road situations.

I'm after an LED unit for low-current draw. You seem to know what you're on about with regards to lighting systems so thought I would toss the question over to you for input.

Any ideas?

Hey Rescue - is there one LED light (as in, a single unit) available that would suffice as a reverse/work light? I have a Rhino basket mounted to my D40 on bars and am looking to mount something that I can use as primarily a camp/work/area light, but also a high-mounted reverse light for off-road situations.

I'm after an LED unit for low-current draw. You seem to know what you're on about with regards to lighting systems so thought I would toss the question over to you for input.

Any ideas?

That's a good one ants_oz. I'm also interested in the response from Rescue.

Keep at it Aido! Positive vibes create a happy place.

can we stop pointing out what cant be done and instead find a solution that fits within the guidlines? Think positive!

It's been so long since those guidelines were laid I've forgotten what they are and re-reading would be too much work. What is it you actually want to do again Aido?

It's been so long since those guidelines were laid I've forgotten what they are and re-reading would be too much work. What is it you actually want to do again Aido?

He want's to be able to see the ruts, as his Bullock dray keeps ploughing outside the lines and destroying his patato crop.

But seriously. Tony I linked to the equivalant Vic roads doccuments earlier and noted that I would comply with them. Whilst I still appreciate everybody's input, can we stop pointing out what cant be done and instead find a solution that fits within the guidlines? Think positive!

Theres a whole other thread pointing out legalities and the like.

True enough. I was responding to someone else's post, but that's a fair call, it's your thread.

The picture I attached also answered your question for lights on the bullbar - stick 'em ANYWHERE that prevents them from sticking out beyond the line of the bar! :big_smile:

As for the roof, if you can use a mounting bracket that keeps the top of the light close to the top of the roof structure, then the only problem you'll have is smoking hot power cables and blind rabbits seeking compensation.

He want's to be able to see the ruts, as his Bullock dray keeps ploughing outside the lines and destroying his patato crop.

I'll make the jokes here!:big_smile:
And since when does living next to a treatment plant constitute "Bayside Melbourne?" :big_smile:

Roof bar seems like too much effort to run wiring to and it wont give me what I want as the reflection from the bonnet would contravene the bit in the legslation about not impeding the drivers vision and to adjust them otherwise would not give athe result I am after.
What do I want? Good lighting around the periphery of the vehicle as opposed to further afield. Would like to throw light out at lets say 60 degrees from the front centre and a couple of rear facing lights mounted to the front of the vehicle that can be switched for negotiating tight obstacles at night (duh)
Why do I want to throw light out at 60 degrees? Because tracks / junctions can be very difficult to make out when all the lights project 200m ahead.

It will be legal So brains trust any thoughts?

:hahaha: I want to know when we are burning the bloody thing. :big_smile:

Soon!

Went for 30k service friday.
Nissan are now replacing the uni joint in the steering column just to humour me under warranty - that is definitely not why it drives like HQ but I'll let them.

Spent some time in the Tuk Tuk today Sunbury-Bendigo-Dandenong-Sunbury 460kms of marvellous motoring:no:. I have an Idea for illuminating the sides of the vehicle.

1. Find something like LED lights as depicted here Car Truck Universal Day Driving Fog Aux White LED Light - eBay Other, Lights, Indicators, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 20-May-10 21:24:52 AEST)but brighter and mount them facing rearward on the underside of the mirrors. They will be controlled by a switch only. There is wiring in place for the electric mirrors ( who would of thought a bullock dray would come with such luxury!?) and so I should be able to finagle a few more wires along that path.

2. Mount a roof bar with work lights to either end projecting 90deg from axis of vehicle.

3. Thought about perhaps paying homeage to its homeland and doing it proper justice by fitting it out with a proper light show.
sasaki-decotora.jpg

What would vicroads say though? And would this bonnet emblem be banned even though it would surely be soft and supple?
sasaki-decotora-1.jpg

4. Apply accelerant liberally to the interior and strike a match - would produce an enormous amount of KW but for a relatively short period and unfortunately that energy would be mainly heat and not light. Did I mention I spent some time in it today?

Came across this gizmo White Night Rear Lighting System, Truck SUV Reverse Lightsin a search just now and seems like a simple idea but impractical for my use as I tend to drag the towbar over most everything offroad. But still I thought about it if I could fabricate something similar that could be removed when going offroad and simply plug it straight into the trailer socket hmmm

Apply accelerant liberally to the interior and strike a match - would produce an enormous amount of KW but for a relatively short period and unfortunately that energy would be mainly heat and not light. Did I mention I spent some time in it today?

Burning cars is a common sight over in the West, you shouldn't have a problem with the claim.:victory:

Latest posts

Back