Drum Replacement handbrake issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan1104

Reaction score
So I replaced the shoes in my drum brakes today. followed the sticky thread, was very helpful.

Although now i have an issue with my handbrake. I have a single cab so i have a pull and twist handbrake from the dash. The problem is that it now pulls out a hell of a lot further than it used to and it doesnt work at all. I have to leave the car in gear.

Anyone have any insight on what may be my issue?

So I replaced the shoes in my drum brakes today. followed the sticky thread, was very helpful.

Although now i have an issue with my handbrake. I have a single cab so i have a pull and twist handbrake from the dash. The problem is that it now pulls out a hell of a lot further than it used to and it doesnt work at all. I have to leave the car in gear.

Anyone have any insight on what may be my issue?

Have you adjusted the rear drums properly?
If you crawl under the car, there's a cable adjuster under the drivers seat, (in the dual cab there is - you may have to trace your back from the rear till you find it) use this to take any slack out of the cable, but adjust the shoes first.

Thanks mate.

Yeah I have been told i may not have adjusted them completely right. i did it after i put the car back on the ground. Think im supposed to adjust the sprocket while the wheel is in the air?

I did think that it would adjust itself by going in reverse a few times and hitting the skids, or is that just a myth?

I'll check the cable later this week when i find some time. For the moment i'll just leave her in gear.

Update.

I tightened the hadbrake cable using the adjuster under the cab. It made it a fair bit better but it still wont hold the car. Im thinking I might have to play with the drum adjusters a little more.

Hey mate, reset the cable adjuster under the cab to about half way, then back up the rear axle and adjust the shoes with the wheels hanging in free space.

I simply use a listen and feel approach when adjusting the shoes. Once you hear and fell the shoes start to take up on the drums, they're adjusted properly.

Hi dan did end up fixing your hand brake issue I have the exact same problem in my single cab also. was going to try and adjust the drum tomorrow I have tried under the driver side and it didn't help much any suggestions thanks

Hi dan did end up fixing your hand brake issue I have the exact same problem in my single cab also. was going to try and adjust the drum tomorrow I have tried under the driver side and it didn't help much any suggestions thanks

nah mate never sorted it, have to take it to a brakes shop i recon. just leaving it in gear for the time being

The strange thing is, that when i did mine, i had an auto adjuster (Still do). Took a little driving around, and braking, and use of park brake, but the adjuster finally set the brakes correctly.

Latest posts

Back