Dual Battery Setup with a Fuse Block

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will work fine. Mine is similar in running off the aux side of the isolator, has been like that for ages now with no probs...

Yeah, depending on where you put it you should always fuse it. My distribution board is in the tub so I have a long run of cable with a breaker just near the isolator.

If you are placing the board near the isolator though I wouldn't bother fusing the feed. The fuse is only to protect the wire in case it shorts out so it doesn't cause a fire.

Exactly as Bods says. Fuses protect cables to prevent fires - if a device needs a fuse, it'll have one of its own. If you're running cables around the place, here's my rule for it:

The cable run should START with a fuse/breaker as close as possible to the source of the power.

The actual electrical arrangement in the above drawing is also good. The cables have to be heavy enough to not have a lot of voltage drop - and you HAVE to be aware that a simple isolator will hardly ever allow your aux battery to fully charge.

diagram looks good ,but i wouldnt use anything less than 6mm. especially if you have a fridge running 24/7 like i do.

4ga is good stuff - about 21 square mm if memory serves. Can handle 400A in bursts (30 seconds), 100A continuous and loses about 0.3V over a 6m run (it's what I used to power my fridge in the caravan).

Latest posts

Back