Duramax motor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymac90210

Reaction score
Silly question all, but would a Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel crate motor from the US which is compatible with a Patrol also be compatible for a D22 nav? Or one of their CUMMINS 5.9L Diesel motors?

to big and heavy i think. also need to change all the driveline. there would not be much of a D22 left. maybe put one in a patrol then fit the navara body on it.

it's not exactly compatible, it's a fully custom engine conversion and it's a tight fit even in the patrols which have a much larger engine bay than the Navs do.
the cummins is also a huge straight six so the weight and length of it would count that out in my opinion.
you could also buy another one and a half new d22s for the price of a conversion :)

it's not exactly compatible, it's a fully custom engine conversion and it's a tight fit even in the patrols which have a much larger engine bay than the Navs do.
the cummins is also a huge straight six so the weight and length of it would count that out in my opinion.
you could also buy another one and a half new d22s for the price of a conversion :)

True good point.. However, hasn't someone out a 5.7L LS1 into one of their navaras? Saw a video of it on YouTube.. A blue one, man that thing is an animal!!

His name is Scott, he is a part of this forum. Gen iii's are Suprisingly light

gen3 is pretty compact for a large motor too, i personally think a vq30det would be a great conversion, very compact, modern, light and lots of power and torque.

Hmm fair enough haha. Might eye off one of the new V6 Turbo Diesels Nissan has in their new D40's.. Now that would make any D22 an absolute beast ;)

hmmm has anyone looked into that particular conversion.
the v6 diesel into a d22?

Also are there chips out for the V6 diesel? That thing would be pushing 200kw with chip exhaust :rock:

Chev are reviving the 4.5ltr V8 duramax, believe they should be out next year. Their building them to go in a Navara or hilux sized Chevy ute.

If you're going to shoe-horn a much larger engine in, you have to also deal with a much larger amount of heat. That means bigger radiator, probably thermal fans, larger intercooler too. A separate transmission cooler - rather than the one that is part of the radiator like we have now - would also be needed to handle the extra power, if you didn't replace the entire gearbox.

I doubt the front diff, axles or CVs would enjoy it a lot. You'd have to at least get the drivetrain from a Titan.

Scotty did put a Gen III LS1 in his D22 and yes it goes like the bloody clappers, but it comes with a price and it wasn't easy. Heat was an issue for him too.

If you're going to shoe-horn a much larger engine in, you have to also deal with a much larger amount of heat. That means bigger radiator, probably thermal fans, larger intercooler too. A separate transmission cooler - rather than the one that is part of the radiator like we have now - would also be needed to handle the extra power, if you didn't replace the entire gearbox.

I doubt the front diff, axles or CVs would enjoy it a lot. You'd have to at least get the drivetrain from a Titan.

Scotty did put a Gen III LS1 in his D22 and yes it goes like the bloody clappers, but it comes with a price and it wasn't easy. Heat was an issue for him too.

And yeah you raise a good point there Tony, forgot heat would be a big issue too. I figured if I had the money it would be something pretty amazing to do to the mighty nav haha but oh well might look into the st-x 550 v6 motor for the old d22

Because Duramax are solid as engines and would show up any patrol 4.2 or landcruiser 4.5 diesel engines

I fully understand that, I would love a duramax also, but why in a navara, wrong suspension set up, you would have to change to stronger diffs, cv's ECT, put it in a troll and you will have the ultimate weapon :D

Each to their own I guess.

Brett

I fully understand that, I would love a duramax also, but why in a navara, wrong suspension set up, you would have to change to stronger diffs, cv's ECT, put it in a troll and you will have the ultimate weapon :D

Each to their own I guess.

Brett

Yeah true haha was hoping it wouldn't be that much trouble :(

Latest posts

Back